Impressive Homemade Star Trek Phaser

looks very "youtubebish" to me :D

basically a carved replica & sound/ light effects for the most part..........

will give credit for detailed work though !

I get scared of people who build these things....I do not want to go blind.

It's all fun an games til someone puts an eye out. :p
Seriously though, nicely done.

As long as he's wearing proper eye protection he should be perfectly safe. It also looks like he's only using it inside, so he's not endangering others. It is possible to use lasers safely.

It's not the creator you always have to fear, what happens to that "toy" 5 years from now after it is in the hands of its 3rd owner and some idiot starts waving it around at people?

Cute, and absolutely amazing, but the laser should be removed after he is done showing it off.

Guy goes blind after it reflects off a surface in 3....2....

Yeah I don't understand why people want these kinds of lasers. Whee, I have handheld blindness waiting to happen!

Millions of years of evolution have conspired to keep us from putting sharp things in our eyes, barely. High power lasers reflecting off things, nope. Hell I'd like statistics on how many people can't contain their curiosity and just shine the damn thing straight into their eye.

Keep that shit away from me.

Yeah I don't understand why people want these kinds of lasers. Whee, I have handheld blindness waiting to happen!

Millions of years of evolution have conspired to keep us from putting sharp things in our eyes, barely. High power lasers reflecting off things, nope. Hell I'd like statistics on how many people can't contain their curiosity and just shine the damn thing straight into their eye.

We want laser guns and the ability to see a bright beam at night :)

That's a nice phaser design, the Star Trek original series Type II hand phasers.

Here's a nice site showing you all of the phaser designs used in various Star Trek shows and non-canonical phasers. http://www.phasers.net/

problem is that we have stopped evolution and started pushing it in the other direction. used to be survival of the fitest. You have animals that got faster and faster as the slow ones couldn't eat and died off. One that got taller and taller to gain access to food while the shorter ones died off. healther and healther as the ones with issues that caused them to get sick and weak died off.... where is all of that now for humans? We are pushing it where everyone will have bad eyesight not only due to our lifestyle but due to the fact that people with genetic issues with their eyes are still alive and having kids passing that on. people with medical issues that would have killed you long ago now can be slowed down or fought with meds to offet the issue keeping these people alive so health issues are going to pass on to more and more people. dumb people used to die off from being stupid, now we fix them up and do what we can to keep them alive, then they have kids who turn out dumb and they have kids....

A warning that it'll blind you has sufficed so far. Ever seen a don't-look-at-laser warning in grocery store scanners? Ditto warnings about prolonged looking directly at the sun. More people care about their eyes than you think.

problem is that we have stopped evolution and started pushing it in the other direction. used to be survival of the fitest. You have animals that got faster and faster as the slow ones couldn't eat and died off. One that got taller and taller to gain access to food while the shorter ones died off. healther and healther as the ones with issues that caused them to get sick and weak died off.... where is all of that now for humans? We are pushing it where everyone will have bad eyesight not only due to our lifestyle but due to the fact that people with genetic issues with their eyes are still alive and having kids passing that on. people with medical issues that would have killed you long ago now can be slowed down or fought with meds to offet the issue keeping these people alive so health issues are going to pass on to more and more people. dumb people used to die off from being stupid, now we fix them up and do what we can to keep them alive, then they have kids who turn out dumb and they have kids....

LOL. Godwin's law in 3...2...

Idiocracy

LOL. Godwin's law in 3...2...

? Are you saying that i'm bring up Nazi's or that somebody will jump to that from my post?

Somebody brought up the fact that we through evolution had been brought away from one act (stabing outselves in the eye with sharp objects) and now we are moving toward it again but with lasers instead of sticks. I was simplely pointing out that we as a race have stopped evolution due to "medical advancements" and all the other stuff that we now do. I am not relating anything to any group of people trying to make custom people. just that fighting to save the lives of more and more people negates natrual selection as far as what percent of the people are able to live without some type of medical intervention.

stop and think for a minute. how many people do you know that need glasses, take meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol or are diabetic? How many people have had cancer? how many of these people have an issue of this running in their family? do you think that 100 years from now there will be more people or fewer people with these issues? do you think there are more percent wise that have these problems now than there was 1000 years ago?

Did you know that anyone who's family was in an area where the black plague hit and they survived that they are now immune to HIV? who knows what illness today could wipe out some people and leave the rest of us that survive it due to our own bodiness could cause a genetic imunity to something else down the road. but it wouldn't ever happen as we don't let our bodies fight off illness. you get a cold and you rush to the dr and get pumped full of meds to get better instead of letting your body fight it off.

Idiocracy

Idiocracy where everyone needs glasses to see, blood preasure meds due to heart issues being more wide spread, are diabetic due to that passing on to more people, and probably full of 50 other issues that natural selection would have gotten rid of over time.

? Are you saying that i'm bring up Nazi's or that somebody will jump to that from my post?

Somebody brought up the fact that we through evolution had been brought away from one act (stabing outselves in the eye with sharp objects) and now we are moving toward it again but with lasers instead of sticks. I was simplely pointing out that we as a race have stopped evolution due to "medical advancements" and all the other stuff that we now do. I am not relating anything to any group of people trying to make custom people. just that fighting to save the lives of more and more people negates natrual selection as far as what percent of the people are able to live without some type of medical intervention.

stop and think for a minute. how many people do you know that need glasses, take meds for high blood pressure, high cholesterol or are diabetic? How many people have had cancer? how many of these people have an issue of this running in their family? do you think that 100 years from now there will be more people or fewer people with these issues? do you think there are more percent wise that have these problems now than there was 1000 years ago?

Did you know that anyone who's family was in an area where the black plague hit and they survived that they are now immune to HIV? who knows what illness today could wipe out some people and leave the rest of us that survive it due to our own bodiness could cause a genetic imunity to something else down the road. but it wouldn't ever happen as we don't let our bodies fight off illness. you get a cold and you rush to the dr and get pumped full of meds to get better instead of letting your body fight it off.

Idiocracy where everyone needs glasses to see, blood preasure meds due to heart issues being more wide spread, are diabetic due to that passing on to more people, and probably full of 50 other issues that natural selection would have gotten rid of over time.

Apparently Exavier one of the healthy people on the other fence... so it's okay !

Back