Got my Benq XL2420T - My opinions

crawlgsx

[H]ard|Gawd
I read mostly good things from review sites on the Benq XL2420T, and many user opinions as well. Lately I saw a few people on this board bashing it and saying how much they hated it and it gave them eye strain etc so I was hesitant but went ahead and ordered one anyway.

First things first, yes, out of the box is has TERRIBLE calibration and brightness is JACKED. That said I had no dead pixels, no backlight bleed, and calibration was easily fixable:

The first thing I did was set it to 120hz and get quickly amused by how smooth moving windows and opening and closing things was.

Then I followed TFT Central's calibration suggestions:
Standard preset, Gamma 1, Brightness 5,Contrast 50,
Colorr Temperature - User mode
RGB 96, 99, 95

Then I installed TFT Central's Calibration file:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/icc_profiles.htm#the_database

And followed the directions to activate it and the gamma settings.

WOW, what a difference. The colors are amazing, brightness is perfect, gamma is amazing.

So next up I fired up some Battlefield 3. What an awesome new experience. Anyone who says they do not feel the smoothness of 120hz is either A blind or B does not have the ability to run 80-120+ FPS.

At times I get dips in to the 80's and it still an unbelievable amount smoother than it ever was at 150fps @ 60hz. Most of the time I am between 105-150fps and I could not be happier with my purchase.

Colors in the game now are amazing, dark areas are now much clearer and I can see things in general in the game much better.

Aiming now is a much more precise and smooth feeling, rather than feeling almost jerky.

Now I recognize that the colors are probably not as amazing as a high end IPS panel, but compared to every LCD I have ever owned it is the best.

Also the viewing angles are great for TN, I have 0 viewing angle issues at my desk in any reasonable position.

So far I have had no eye strain above any normal monitor after playing Battlefield 3 for hours or browsing the web. I will let some more time pass using it before I make a final judgement there but my initial conclusion is no problems for me.

I highly recommend this monitor to anyone considering 120hz / a nicer TN panel. Hell I would go as far as recommend it to anyone not obsessed with absolute color perfection/IPS.

I am one very satisfied customer.

Last edited:
Did you notice any strong colour dominance (example: S23A700D's have strong purple dominance and the VG236H is known to be too green) or overshoot like many others have reported with fast movement crawlgsx?

Pretty much every one has reported theirs to have no back-light bleeding which is a first for a 120hz display.

I wanted to test the TX out for review and to try 3D Vision 2, but the only place I can return it to for a full refund will take 8-14 days to ship it and they only offer a 14 day open box return window.

Update: Turns out Amazon.ca has the basic model in stock +30 day return policy...ordered.

Last edited:
Once calibrated I feel the colors are very even, but I wouldn't even begin to say I am a good judge. I can tell you my previous LCD, a 27" LG had very clear red dominance and with this one I don't see any colors sticking out like that.

As far as overshoot, I will try keep my eyes open to see if I can SEE it while trying. I can tell you have played about 4-5 hours of battlefield and have not noticed any.

Last edited:
Mine has some minor backlight bleed, noticeable on a completely black screen, on the bottom in the middle.

EDIT: mine is a TX, may differ, although unlikely.

I've been wanting to get 3 of these for eyefinity, but I dont want three of those setting selectors. Do you have to use the box with the monitor or is it something that can be left off?

I've been wanting to get 3 of these for eyefinity, but I dont want three of those setting selectors. Do you have to use the box with the monitor or is it something that can be left off?

I left mine right in the box. No interest in that here either ;) You don't need it.

Hell I would go as far as recommend it to anyone not obsessed with absolute color perfection/IPS.

I consider IPS "color perfection" much overrated, but viewing angles is a different thing. TN simply sucks in this area. Frankly, I don't believe there exists any TN panel which comes close in terms of viewing angles at least to VA, not mentioning IPS.

If not that, I wouldn't even have a blink of doubt about purchasing this monitor. The things you describe about 120hz make me drool. :D

Is the ICC profile any different than just changing the listed settings?

I tried those settings, and white saturation was really bad.

Very different. The profile calibrates the gamma/whites/colors, 100% necessary IMO.

It is meant to be applied on TOP of the OSD settings for the best results.

I consider IPS "color perfection" much overrated, but viewing angles is a different thing. TN simply sucks in this area. Frankly, I don't believe there exists any TN panel which comes close in terms of viewing angles at least to VA, not mentioning IPS.

If not that, I wouldn't even have a blink of doubt about purchasing this monitor. The things you describe about 120hz make me drool. :D

I completely agree with you, I just don't understand why I would ever need said viewing angles at my desk? (I'm sure you do have a reason, I just meant myself personally). When I am on my computer I am straight on, and I can't imagine viewing angle has much of a play difference between TN/VA/IPS when you are staring straight on with the screen? :)

IPS/PLS also have poor viewing angles, sadly most will never admit it. The display has to be set at the right height and distance to eliminate the glow which destroys dark content with the whitening or purple-ing in some IPS panels cases.

I had to sit 2.5ft away from my former 23" IPS and over 3ft away from my 27" PLS to get rid of the glow which is too far to be comfortable or have even a semi "immersive," experience...and I'm not about to buy a 4ft deep desk to have the display at the "right," distance and fit my keyboard & mouse.

IMO, the only LCD's with "good" viewing angles are decent VA panels like some of the older Samsung S-PVA panels and IPS with A-TW polarisers.

Last edited:
I completely agree with you, I just don't understand why I would ever need said viewing angles at my desk? (I'm sure you do have a reason, I just meant myself personally). When I am on my computer I am straight on, and I can't imagine viewing angle has much of a play difference between TN/VA/IPS when you are staring straight on with the screen? :)

Are you saying you are forever alone at your computer? :D

Try watching a movie on a TN monitor with your girlfriend/wife/friend/relative. That's one scenario where crappy viewing angles kick in.

You don't need to be a graphics designer in order to benefit from evenly distributed color perception across the whole screen, which TN simply can't provide. Even if you sit straight on at your PC and don't move a muscle, you still don't see consistent color across the screen -- top is different from bottom, especially in terms of contrast and tonal response.

IPS/PLS also have poor viewing angles, sadly most will never admit it. The display has to be set at the right height and distance to eliminate the glow which destroys dark content with the whitening or purple-ing in some IPS panels cases.

True, but that's what A-TW polarizers are for. Sadly, they are expensive. So, basically, the problem is not in the IPS itself, but in the cheap-ass manufacturers who try to "TN-ize" the technology to achieve low-cost production.

You need decent viewing angles for an Eyefinity/Surround setup, where the 2 side monitors aren't straight on. Speaking of which, how's the horizontal viewing angle around 45 degrees?

Are you saying you are forever alone at your computer? :D

Try watching a movie on a TN monitor with your girlfriend/wife/friend/relative. That's one scenario where crappy viewing angles kick in.

Correct. I do not share my computer, ever ;)

I have a 55" TV with an HTPC for watching movies/sharing :cool:

Should get mine Monday. Found an awesome deal for the TX.

I once considered going for the Asus VG278H but I've read about many problems and a few saying that the dot pitch was not ideal.

Bye bye god old CRT. Hope I won't regret you. What took me long to go LCD is because of the resolution thing. I hate when a LCD is not in native res but now that video card can handle 1080 pretty easily I should be fine.

Should get mine Monday. Found an awesome deal for the TX.

I once considered going for the Asus VG278H but I've read about many problems and a few saying that the dot pitch was not ideal.

Bye bye god old CRT. Hope I won't regret you. What took me long to go LCD is because of the resolution thing. I hate when a LCD is not in native res but now that video card can handle 1080 pretty easily I should be fine.

What was the deal you got?

Could one get 120hz across three screens n an eyefinity or nsurround setup?

I read that 120hz isn't possible using HDMI. Here are the connectors available on the monitor:

Connectors
D-sub / DVI-DL(Dual Link) / HDMI x 2 / DP 1.2 / Headphone Jack

So would say an AMD 6990 or GTX 680 have D-sub, DVI-do and DP 1.2 connector so that HDMI isn't required?

Was 495$ for a few days only. Price matched it for a grand total of 533$ to my door.

I already have the 3D Vision kit so te TX will get me a new glasses so now I will have 2 pairs and I'll be good to hide the little emitter now that te monitor have on built-in.

I read that 120hz isn't possible using HDMI.
It is but on the TX only.

Let me quote a part of a review for you:
A note about the other version of this screen as well, the XL2420TX which is not available in Europe but is available in other locations including the USA. The X model is a more expensive option which comes bundled with NVIDIA 3D Vision 2 glasses and includes a built-in IR emitter for easy use.

Since the XL2420T model does not offer these extras it is actually very important, because without the built-in IR emitter you will not be able to use the HDMI interface of the monitor for stereo 3D, even if you connect an external IR emitter to your PC. Using an external infrared emitter for 3D Vision glasses gives you only the ability to use the monitor in stereo 3D mode with a PC over the DL-DVI or the DisplayPort 1.1 interface. This means that the BenQ XL2420T monitor is more suitable for gaming in 120Hz 2D mode or using for stereo 3D content only with a PC. If you want to use the monitor for PS3 in 3D or any other HDMI 1.4-based stereo 3D-capable devices, you will not be able to on the XL2420T model. The HDMI interface present on the BenQ XL2420T monitor is 2D-capable only and you are of course not able to use 120Hz refresh rate over the HDMI, you need to use the other interfaces for the higher refresh rate.

The BenQ XL2420TX is the more expensive version that comes with a built-in IR emitter and a pair of 3D Vision 2 active shutter glasses, so you are able to use the monitor in 3D mode over DL-DVI, DisplayPort or HDMI 1.4.
Hope this help!

Last edited:
Thanks. But with a top end AMD or NVIDIA card would there be enough non-HDMI inputs to allow for driving three of the XL2420T at 120hz? I don't really have any desire to connect them via HDMI if I can avoid doing so. DVI and or Display (or mini Displayport) is prefferable' right?

Thanks. But with a top end AMD or NVIDIA card would there be enough non-HDMI inputs to allow for driving three of the XL2420T at 120hz? I don't really have any desire to connect them via HDMI if I can avoid doing so. DVI and or Display (or mini Displayport) is prefferable' right?

If you went with the T version you would just simply have to use 1 dual-link DVI and 2 by displayport. or 3 by displayport (depending on the card, this would be another option)

HDMI would not do 120hz on the T, and most of the high end cards 2nd DVI port is single link only.

Ps I read in several reviews, including that TFT one, that viewing angles are poor. I wonder then if the two side monitors in a three monitor setup will look bad due to this. Hmmm...

I just recently picked up an ASUS VG278H and have the same experience as the OP.

There is a VAST diffrence between this monitor and my other two TN panels both in windows and in games. In games the monitor pops. There is a "gamer" mode present that you can enable on the monitor to give it an enhanced look, similar to how Gunnar glasses make games look and feel. But I forget to activate it more than half the time.

The smoothness of 120hz is an amazing feel. Characters on screen somewhat stand out more, similar to when watching movies on a 120/240hz television. For movies I hate that effect. But in gaming on this monitor is it very subtle and looks awesome.

I paid $630 for my 27" 120hz monitor. It's a crazy high price. It's worth owning, but the price will never leave the back of my head.

No, they are for convenience.

You have dual-link DVI and DisplayPort, both which work for 120hz.

Ps I read in several reviews, including that TFT one, that viewing angles are poor. I wonder then if the two side monitors in a three monitor setup will look bad due to this. Hmmm...

Viewing angles are typical TN viewing angles. This hasn't changed at all for a number of years.

Thanks 10e and crawl. So, just so there's no confusion, a single AMD 7890 (or whatever it number is) or a single NVIDIA 680 GTX COULD drive three of these monitors, each at 120hz: one by DVI and two by Displayport?

Thanks.

Thanks 10e and crawl. So, just so there's no confusion, a single AMD 7890 (or whatever it number is) or a single NVIDIA 680 GTX COULD drive three of these monitors, each at 120hz: one by DVI and two by Displayport?

Thanks.

I double checked just for good measure, it depends on which card.

GTX 680 you would use 2 DVI and 1 display port. (it has dual dual-DVI and a full size displayport).
The 7970 you would use 1 DVI (the second is single link on most if not all of them) and 2 mini displayport's (you would need adapters as the XL2420T uses full size displayport).

The XL2420T supports 120hz on DL-DVI or DP, but not HDMI.

Viewing angles from my personal usage tell me this monitor would be perfectly fine for Surround/Eyefinity. I can't imagine placing your monitor to the point of which the angle becomes an issue.

Last edited:
Well its time for a new 120hz panel as my old one just died.

Is this the one to get right now? It'll be strictly for 2D gaming as 3D gaming has never impressed me fully.

BenQ if you want a matte display other wise get the Asus vg236h or samsung s23a700d.

Just bought three on buy.com where they were $392. The price then went p after I bought them, and now they seem to be out of stock.

Back