Google Now Selling Unlocked Galaxy Nexus

HardOCP News

[H] News
Need an unlocked Android phone with no contract? Google is selling the Samsung Galaxy Nexus on its website. That is actually pretty damn tempting, and directly from Google no less. :eek:

Shame I can't use unlocked phones w/ Tracfone services. I rarely talk or text($20 for atleast 120mins for 3 months) much so but is nice to have service, best they have is a LG800g(AKA LG 310t), a not so smart phone.

BRB patenting a means by which to infringe on others patents I'M GOING TO MAKE SO MUCH MONEY

I've got a Galaxy Nexus, although I haven't rooted it, and while it's a nice phone I think the Galaxy S2 is a much better, and more stable phone. Sadly Sprint's signal around here sucks and we get a 25% discount with Verizon compared to 25% with At&t and when you add that with the double data for 4G phones Verizon was offering I just couldn't justify going with At&t just to get the S2.

I love, love, love my Verizon Galaxy Nexus. It's Android that's iPhone smooth. The camera is good, the screen looks fantastic, and it has Ice Cream Sandwich. I paid $400 for mine, new-in-box on eBay. This was an big upgrade from the Droid Bionic.

I agree, $400 for unlocked is not bad at all! I just may get this end of the year if one still does not interest me

$400 is cheap for a high end unlocked phone. That's about what you'd pay for one of the current entry level Windows phones (710 or Omnia W). What makes it seem expensive is the North American pricing structure - pay next to nothing for the phone, then pay an arm and a leg for sucky service on a 2 or 3 year contract. The carriers have no reason to ensure they have enough capacity (they can just throw on limits after the fact) or provide good coverage because you're locked in, not just to the contract but often the phone you want will be exclusive to one carrier or another.

Shame I can't use unlocked phones w/ Tracfone services. I rarely talk or text($20 for atleast 120mins for 3 months) much so but is nice to have service, best they have is a LG800g(AKA LG 310t), a not so smart phone.

There's always T-mobile Prepaid.

Confirmed. Use a US based web proxy and you get the page to buy it. Below the $399 price is the text "Currently only available in the USA."

If you haven't unlocked your nexus, then you shouldn't be on the [H]

Hey give me a break, I tossed away my cellphone away years ago and have been a much happier person for it, but my mother's health issues finally made me bread down get a cellphone again.

To show you how long it's been since I have a cellphone, my last phone was a Motorola StarTac. lol!

Love it, just bought it for my fiance who is currently using a craptastic Galaxy Ace. Me thinks she would approve = ) Cant wait to get my hands on it!!

Oh the price one pays for the "new" factor...I paid around $560 for my Galaxy Nexus just after Thanksgiving holiday last year, and received my phone the following week. I still recommend this phone to friends and family though.

...read what you typed out loud.

$400 really isn't a lot of money. When I was a kid in the early 1970s $400 would buy me FOUR THOUSAND CANDY BARS. Today it only gets you four hundred.

Four hundred candy bars is all it takes to get a Nexus. That's cheap, but only because the dollar is so inflated these days....

Confirmed. Use a US based web proxy and you get the page to buy it. Below the $399 price is the text "Currently only available in the USA."

Site worked here in Puerto Rico, which is weird, because we're always getting screwed by Google despite the fact that 3 of the 4 major US carriers operate here (no Google Navigation/Voice, my tablet still can't see paid apps unless it's tethered thru my phone, etc etc).

I'm surprised they backpedaled on earlier statements about selling direct, even more surprised they're selling it with the proper band support for 3G on AT&T AND T-Mobile under the same SKU (something they failed to do with the original Nexus)... This probably means its not coming (under subsidy) to either of those carriers anytime soon tho.

...read what you typed out loud.

I agree, the price is pretty crazy. I spent nearly $700 for mine less than 6 months ago, and that's cheaper than almost every other high end phone on the market.

This was too much for me to pass up. It's reasonably priced, comes straight from Google, and has a 1-year U.S. warranty. What's not to like?

I agree, the price is pretty crazy. I spent nearly $700 for mine less than 6 months ago, and that's cheaper than almost every other high end phone on the market.

Same here. Paid $700 to have it shipped from overseas. Even with all of that I would say it's the best phone I've owned.

Can you use Virgin Mobile on this one?

Which country? There are more then half a dozen companies that have paid to use the 'Virgin Mobile' brand name for their prepaid service.

In Canada I think you can get 3G to work but 2G won't (you're on Bell's CDMA 2G and HSPA 3G network). In US I don't think it will work at all - Virgin USA is Sprint and I think their network is all based on CDMA (maybe someone more familiar with Sprint can answer).

Bought mine yesterday, it's set to ship out today via UPS and in 2 -3 days I'll have myself a new phone. I got tired of waiting and waiting and waiting for ICS (Stable ICS) on the SGS2. I can take a hit in performance knowing I'll be getting timely updates.

My reason for buying from Google is that Newegg has some shady scheme going with theirs and the warranty (which was non-existent for SGS2 imports from EU like mine) scares me. Google has a number for you to call and a link to Samsung support right there on the page.

Wow. No contract, $399? I was expecting it to be $800...

This would be a great phone for Tmobile subscribers to buy, and then use the no-upgrade low rate plan they offer.

Too bad Tmobile has shitty coverage around here, or I'd do this.

GSM only... boooooooooooooooooooooooo

I thought so at first too, but what would you use it with that isn't GSM?

Sprint has shitty coverage, and Verizon's pay as you go smartphone plans are actually MORE expensive than their contract plans and are 3G only...

I've got to say I don't have the same respect for the "nexus" moniker after owning my Verizon branded phone for a while now. Still on 4.0.2 after all these months, Google wallet being disabled, and the initial launch delays seems like Verizon has done everything in their power to lose respect and it's a shame Google hasn't put their foot down to stop it.

After my experience with my Droid X? After my wife's experience with her Droid X? No Android phone is worth more than about $100 in this family.

Back