Logitech G5 vs G500?

KatalDT

2[H]4U
Hey,

Used the G5 for years and it's starting to go out of stock everywhere... even on Amazon (new) it's like $160 and that seems ridiculous.

Tried the G500, don't like it - anybody else in the same boat?

Anybody know where to get a G5 at a reasonable price?

My G5 broke, and I just upgraded to the G500. I didn't like it at first, but I've gotten used to it. I'd still rather have a G5, though. I called Logitech to see if I could get one from them at the MSRP, but they have no stock.

My G5 broke, and I just upgraded to the G500. I didn't like it at first, but I've gotten used to it. I'd still rather have a G5, though. I called Logitech to see if I could get one from them at the MSRP, but they have no stock.

Lame. =/

what is so bad about the g500? i have a g5 now and love it, but it is almost time for a new mouse. i was thinking g500. it is about except with higher dpi, right?

I have a barely used G5 that I would love to sell to a Hard member for way less than $160. I could do like $40 bucks plus shipping if anyone is interested pm me.

I had no idea they had gone up in value lol.

what is so bad about the g500? i have a g5 now and love it, but it is almost time for a new mouse. i was thinking g500. it is about except with higher dpi, right?

For one, the scroll wheel doesn't 'click' - it's just like a smooth roller. I really dislike that. Especially annoying while web browsing or in games where you use the scroll wheel to select weapons.

Besides that, I just prefer the G5... don't know why.

For one, the scroll wheel doesn't 'click' - it's just like a smooth roller. I really dislike that. Especially annoying while web browsing or in games where you use the scroll wheel to select weapons.

With the G500, there is a small button beneath the scroll wheel. This button changes the scroll mode to either the smooth roll or a click-click motion.

Just fyi.

I have gone through 3 G5s and 2 G500s. The G5s were definitely more solid. After getting used to the G500 I prefer it but I do see where someone would prefer the G5 due to the overall solidness of it. The G500 feels kinda cheap, even though it was not.

Have you looked at the G400? Looks like it's the same shape as the G5 and has a second thumb button also. Not sure about the scroll wheel though.

On another note, I'm not sure what I'll replace my G7 (Pretty much a wireless G5) with when it finally dies, so I'll keep tabs on this thread.

As Tunnel Vision already mentioned, the G500 scroll wheel can click or freewheel at the click of a button. I find the clicks less pronounced on the G500 than similar Logitech mice but it works very well. After a little getting used to, I found I grew to love the freewheel for fast scrolling - it's actually very handy.

There were two things I really disliked about the G500. One was the shape and location of the thumb buttons - not really a deal breaker as one gets used to those pretty quickly - but my hand prefers the thumb buttons on the G400, G5, MX518, etc.
The second thing is the location of the sensor on the G500. Instead of being in the bottom center of the mouse it is located further forward, closer to being under the mouse wheel. This is unnoticeable to many people but was something I couldn't adjust to in my FPS games - it messed with my aim. I imagine over time I would get used to this but it really threw off my accuracy on those quick snap shots. This was the deal breaker for me and this mouse.

I'm an old dog that doesn't always like to learn new tricks, so the G500 sits now collecting dust. I've since moved to the G400 and so far I am very pleased with it.

I would recommend G5. My friend is using it and it works fine. I have a G500. Sometimes when I hold it, it repeats the action. The weights feel nice and the infinite scroll is good, but regular scroll feels loose.

The second thing is the location of the sensor on the G500. Instead of being in the bottom center of the mouse it is located further forward, closer to being under the mouse wheel. This is unnoticeable to many people but was something I couldn't adjust to in my FPS games - it messed with my aim. I imagine over time I would get used to this but it really threw off my accuracy on those quick snap shots. This was the deal breaker for me and this mouse.

WRONG. This makes no difference at all. This is clearly in your head. The cursor location is not affected by where the laser is positioned on the physical mouse.

I would recommend G5. My friend is using it and it works fine. I have a G500. Sometimes when I hold it, it repeats the action. The weights feel nice and the infinite scroll is good, but regular scroll feels loose.

The OP was asking for retailers offering the G5 at a good price, and possibly, -alternatives- to the G5 because he can't find it at a reasonable price as it appears to have been discontinued and replaced by the G500s. And not sure what you mean by 'repeats the action'. What does that even mean?

Unfortunately, we're not getting any good answers here on what we can do about the sunsetting of the G5. The G500s sounds like it's supposed to be the successor but quality appears to be on the decline in many of our favorite products as outsourcing and cost-efficiency continues to negatively impact our customer experience and product offerings.

Anyone else have a suggestion on alternatives to the G5 (not the G500s) that offer a similar experience and level of quality and 'sturdiness'. Or where we can still find the G5 at a low price?

WRONG. This makes no difference at all. This is clearly in your head. The cursor location is not affected by where the laser is positioned on the physical mouse.

I wouldn't expect him to respond for roughly another 4 years.

Anyone else have a suggestion on alternatives to the G5 (not the G500s) that offer a similar experience and level of quality and 'sturdiness'. Or where we can still find the G5 at a low price?

I've played with 3 mice that feel similar to the Logitech G5 in my hand that are readily available at a fair price. Each one will have a slightly different appeal.

Logitech M500 - The body is sculpted similarly, ever so slightly different but should feel natural to you. However, this is not a gaming mouse. Locked 1,000 DPI and no support for Logitech Gaming Software. Basically, if you liked the Logitech MX518/G5/G400/etc., but didn't care to adjust DPI or use the gaming software, then this is for you.

Logitech G402 - The modern day incarnation of these mice. Looks different, but feels the same. Mine adjustment (DPI buttons moved from around the scroll wheel to the left button).

SteelSeries Rival 300 - Big fan of this. If the MX518/G5 style grip suits you, you'll feel right at home with this one (despite the different looking shape). This was made for a palm grip. Go with this if you prefer a more subdued look than the G402, or want to make a break from Logitech.

Best of luck in your search.

Reactions: maro
like this
Just upgraded to a Roccat Tyon since it was on sale - thing is perfect. but if anyone is interested it replaced a g500 which I am willing to sell for $40 shipped.

I thought his post was pretty straight-forward. It depends on how you use your mouse obviously, but for many the wrist basically stays planted in a single location during horizontal mouse movement. That means that horizontal cursor movement is actually accomplished with more of an arc-like hand/mouse movement across the pad, with very little movement at the wrist, and more movement as you get upward toward the tip of your fingers. Obviously in that case, a sensor closer to your wrist is going to record less movement than one up closer to your fingers.

Reactions: maro
like this
I bought the G502 for rig 1 below and love it. I have a G5 for rig 2 and if it "goes south" I would replace it with a G502 in a heartbeat.

Back