A-MVA 8-bit vs. E-IPS 6-bit + FRC

Hi. Sorry for my English.

I need a monitor mostly for internet and movies.

Please help to choose:

BenQ VW2420H (A-MVA 8-bit)
BenQ EW2420 (A-MVA 8-bit)

Or:

Viewsonic VP2365-LED (E-IPS 6-bit + FRC)
Dell U2312HM (E-IPS 6-bit + FRC)
Nec EA232WMi (E-IPS 6-bit + FRC)
Dell U2412M (E-IPS 6-bit + FRC)

Will I see any difference on the 8-bit and 6-bit+FRC monitors or not?

PS.

I'm using now a 2003 CRT Samsung Syncmaster 757mb.

Last edited:
If movies are your main focus, the A-MVA panel will have substantially better black levels. As far as the internet goes neither will be better at the other barring the different ways the two panel types handle gamma shift and the "viewing cone" from a viewing angle shift. IPS will be better horizontally, A-MVA will be better vertically.

Unless you're doing photo critical work, I doubt you're going to see the difference in 8-bit and 6-bit + FRC especially without calibration.

Honestly if you coming from a crt your gonna wanna go with the mva panel. The black levels on ips panels are atrocious. Most VA panels always look nice imo anyway. I have both an u2410 and a 2408wfp. I hugely prefer the 2408wfp (s-pva) and I actually feel for pictures, movies, and internet browsing that the view angles are vastly superior on it compared to my h-ips panels. The va panel stays bright and viewable while the ips panel loses a tons of brightness and any dark detail is lost in the ips glow. IPS may be good for some people but it should not have replaced s-pva panels in high monitors like it has. Its almost impossible to find one now. c-pva while still good and excellent contrast in my opinion was a step backwards.

I also prefer the look of two 1907fpv's (samsung pva) i picked up off craiglist for 35 a piece.

IPS is the closer one, S-PVA is the further one. This actually looks worse in person.
img20120422182423.jpg

img20120422184213.jpg

Last edited:
I currently have a CRT, so a VA panel may be a decent option for myself.

What models are recommended, and are there any 16:10, 24" models still being manufactured?

If not, what are the most recent models produced? The 2408wfps?

And how bad is the AG coating on these? I basically want to know if it's as bad as the LG IPS coating.

Any semi-glossy or glossy VA panels out there?

Honestly if you coming from a crt your gonna wanna go with the mva panel. The black levels on ips panels are atrocious. Most VA panels always look nice imo anyway. I have both an u2410 and a 2408wfp. I hugely prefer the 2408wfp (s-pva) and I actually feel for pictures, movies, and internet browsing that the view angles are vastly superior on it compared to my h-ips panels. The va panel stays bright and viewable while the ips panel loses a tons of brightness and any dark detail is lost in the ips glow. IPS may be good for some people but it should not have replaced s-pva panels in high monitors like it has. Its almost impossible to find one now. c-pva in my opinion was a step backwards.

I also prefer the look of two 1907fpv's (samsung pva) i picked up off craiglist for 35 a piece.

Gonna have to disagree with this post entirely, lol. Hope no one else takes this seriously, either.

The black levels on IPS panels are not "atrocious", nor are they anything extra special on A-MVA panels, the BenQ's in particular that are mentioned in the OP.

I have owned an EW2420, and while yes, the black levels are better than any IPS panel, it suffers everywhere else, including viewing angles, which are poor due to the horizontal gamma shift, color reproduction, and response time/ghosting which is atrocious, making it unsuitable for gaming

What is it good for? Movies, maybe plugging in a PS3 and playing some console games, but other than that.. I could never recommend it for anyone coming from a CRT as an IPS panel will offer a much more "CRT-like" image because of the much, much better viewing angles and color reproduction. Yes, the black levels are not as good, and it suffers from a bit of white glow, but it does not have that black "shimmer" effect that VA panels, or at least A-MV panels seem to suffer from, which I found a bit off putting, because while the black levels are deep, they still appear a bit odd due to this shimmer.

I previously tried the U2412, and primarily used CRTs my whole life. I had to return it, because of the AG coating.

I would classify the black as being quite not atrocious, but it was pretty bad. Perhaps some other IPS screens do a better job with it, but I would classify it as generally terrible. The thing that bothered me even more than the terrible blacks was that due to the coating it couldn't even manage to do white colors correctly..

I currently have a CRT, so a VA panel may be a decent option for myself.

What models are recommended, and are there any 16:10, 24" models still being manufactured?

If not, what are the most recent models produced? The 2408wfps?

And how bad is the AG coating on these? I basically want to know if it's as bad as the LG IPS coating.

Any semi-glossy or glossy VA panels out there?

The dell 2408wfp's ag coating is excellent. Its less agressive than the coatings used on most ips panels and most tn panels.

Heres a pic of my u2410 (H-IPS) and my 2408wfp (s-pva) next to each other at the same brightness.

img20120422185637a.jpg

The BenQ BL2400 is their best VA panel. It should be noted that the U2410 has really poor black levels compared to most recent IPS (30-50% higher)

Currently the Samsung S24A650D is the best VA panel, assuming one is not looking at Eizo's. It uses semi-glossy coating and has better overdrive than the BenQ models. They can be purchased for as low as 220$ (In canada at least).

http://www.prad.de/new/monitore/test/2012/test-samsung-s24a650d-led.html

IPS/PLS black levels are pretty poor due to the glow and high black level compared to a good VA panel and CRT. I use a Samsung S27A850D (PLS, 0.14cdm/2 black @120cdm/2) and a Samsung F2380MX (0.035cdm/2 black @120cdm/2) and there is simply no competition. Even my TN panel has better black levels due to the lack of glow and it only does 0.12-0.13cdm/2 black natively. It is really annoying having to constantly shift my viewing distance/monitor height depending on what I am doing on the PLS panel due to the glow. At least with TN all I have to do is retain decent posture and sit head on, like a normal person.

Last edited:
I considered the S24A650D previously, but never decided upon it. Problem is, it's 16:9. So is the BenQ.
I don't game on my PC (I use an xbox for that), so I mostly use it for work and internet stuff. The extra vertical pixels makes a big difference to me. I'm used to 4:3, can live with 16:10... but 16:9 feels way too constrained to me.

I guess I missed the boat on 16:10, VA panels?

I was hoping 24" PLS (if samsung ever gets its act together on bleed problems) or perhaps the newer LG IPS panels (if they fix the AG problem) coming out later this year would manage blacks a bit better. But that may be wishful thinking.

Dell 2408- or expensive Eizo's are your only 16:10 options VA. My advice: get over it and get 2 displays if you are worried about the 120 pixels. The Samsungs and BenQ bl2400 are cheap enough that you can buy 2 w/o spending more than 500$. 2X1080p>>>1x1200p in terms of real-estate.

My desk isn't big enough for two large displays like that. But yeah, it is possible I could just get used to it and live with less vertical space. For now, I'll keep an eye out for a 2408.. maybe I can find one on craigslist or something. If I could find a S24A650D in a store somewhere so I could see it in person, I may just forget about 16:10. Unfortunately nobody seems to carry anything besides TN panels and Apple displays in local shops.

My desk isn't big enough for two large displays like that. But yeah, it is possible I could just get used to it and live with less vertical space. For now, I'll keep an eye out for a 2408.. maybe I can find one on craigslist or something. If I could find a S24A650D in a store somewhere so I could see it in person, I may just forget about 16:10. Unfortunately nobody seems to carry anything besides TN panels and Apple displays in local shops.

Also be on the lookout you for the 2407wfp its almost the same monitor as the 2408wfp. The 2408wfp just added displayport and a slightly wider color gamut. It may be a slightly different panel as well but it should be pretty comparable.

The 2408wfp is a great monitor - I've run one singly and have had 3 in an eyefinity setup. For general use, movies, and even gaming I think it's great. I sidegraded from my eyefinity setup to an single HP z2740w ips panel and at times I miss the awesomeness of the 2408wfps. I'm currently writing this on a single 2408wfp actually, as the z2740w died and is out for RMA. The black levels and ag coating on this 2408wfp are markedly superior to the hp ips panel

I just started looking at reviews for the 2408 -- most are generally quite good. Although ran across an odd one where he stated text was clearer on his CRT. Maybe he was using it at a weird resolution...

Just so I know in case I find one, what is the avg. going price for a used 2408wfp? Maybe $150-200?

And I have read some have a pink tint issue. Are there any panel revisions known not to have that problem?

Will I see any difference on the 8-bit and 6-bit+FRC monitors or not?
I have a u2410 and a ea232wmi and I can't tell a difference. But the u2410 has a bit more aggressive ag coating so I use the nec in portrait mode to browse websites since its easier on the eyes.

Back