Firefox 12 Released

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Mozilla has now finalized the next version of their popular internet browser, Firefox 12 and is ready to download, although as of yet it hasn't been officially publicized. Overall, there isn't a huge amount of noticeable differences from the previous release but it is still recommended you update to the latest version.

So what makes this version any different from 4 except adding more bugs and a higher version number?

So what makes this version any different from 4 except adding more bugs and a higher version number?

From what I can tell they are just trying to keep up with the Jones' (aka Chrome). The only real difference I noticed going from 10 to 11 was HTML 5 performance was fixed. I haven't played with 12 much to see what else has be addressed.

The whole thing is ridiculous.
How can alternative browsers expect any kind of corporate penetration (uhh, huh huh penetration) like this?
Not like they had much of a chance even before this race started, but from where I'm sitting it's pissing off the tech-savvy users now...

well i heard firefox 12 will have chrome like updates where you dont even need to update anymore.

however i prob wait till they start rolling out in auto update because it might be 12.0.1

I work as a web developer and the fast pace of browser upgrades is actually quite good.

You might think the change log is essentially a version incrementation, but no. Just because it looks the same and there are no visual changes, quite a lot could have change with in the back-end (better HTML 5 support, browser fixes, and the like).

Firefox 3.6 FTW?

HA! :rolleyes:

That thing is barely better than IE9, in fact, a whole lot worse in a lot of aspects when it comes to web development and design.

As for the corporate world, there should be long term browser releases, IMO. So, at any point in time, an LTS version is maintained while new versions get all new bug fixes along with new features. That would be ideal.

Hail the new king, Firefox 12. Please upgrade and don't be a douche if you don't know what you're talking about.

IE 9 64-bit FTW

I refuse to use IE9 since it enables cleartype with no way to turn that steaming pile of junk off. Cleartype should be an OPTION, if the user wants it they can have it, not the other way around.

Internet Explorer has been out how long and they are just now at version 9? Why did Firefox start counting every new release as a major update revision? Was it to try to catch up with IE's number so it would appear to be the newer and better product to the layman?

My desktop is still running some version of 3. I updated an old notebook to 11 and it uses far more memory for the same sites. I tried Chrome on the notebook for the first time and it used half the memory. I think I'll try Firefox 12 and dump it if it's still a memory hog. Maybe IE 9 (8 on the notebook), Chrome on both and Safari on the MBP is in my future.

Honestly, I don't even notice the numbers anymore. It just updates when it needs to and you move on. Tally-ho. Plus with the addon "Addon Compatibility Reporter" firefox will never disable any addons. Only if you notice it not working properly, you can report it as incompatible and disable it. I've never had to do that yet...and I have 20+ addons... crosses fingers.

I decided to upgrade at every 5 version. So 10 15 20 25 30 etc. That way I only need to update my browser about once a month. :p

But yeah this is ridiculous and you'd think they'd realize that their users think it's stupid, and stop doing this. Fine, release updates for bug fixes, that's a good thing, but don't make it a whole new version each time.

Upgraded to 12 no problems. I've had zero issues over the last 4 versions. And I use addons. Also the installer asked if I wanted to have updates installed silently. So its an option.

People make up too much fuss about firefox.

IE 9 64-bit FTW

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_9#JavaScript_engine said:
The 64-bit version of Internet Explorer 9, which is not the default browser even on 64-bit systems, does not have the JIT compiler and performs up to 4 times slower.

You might need to attend to the gunshot wound to your foot.

I don't understand all the nerd rage over the numbering scheme. What's so bad about going 11, 12, 13 and so on as opposed to 11, 11.1, 11.1.1, 11.2.1 or whatever? Its just an update. Why does it matter what number it is? I have Firefox set to auto update and so I get the newest version when it comes out. Doesn't cause me any problems at all.

Am I missing something? Wouldn't be the first time.

I don't understand all the nerd rage over the numbering scheme. What's so bad about going 11, 12, 13 and so on as opposed to 11, 11.1, 11.1.1, 11.2.1 or whatever? Its just an update. Why does it matter what number it is? I have Firefox set to auto update and so I get the newest version when it comes out. Doesn't cause me any problems at all.

I personally have nothing against them numbering FF in any particular way, but what I have personally noticed is that making the version number go up hasn't made FF any better. Back in 2010 (or maybe 2011) when FF 3.x was the newest version, I never had any kind of instability or any kind. With the newest FF versions, such as FF 8 - 11, the browser hangs and crashes occasionally. Now I know they've improved the performance of flash elements and stuff like that considerably, but I have an i5 750, so I never knew the difference. They can improve flash performance, but they can't make a stable browser. IMO they have fucked up priorities. At least it wasn't like that with FF 3.6.

I personally have nothing against them numbering FF in any particular way, but what I have personally noticed is that making the version number go up hasn't made FF any better. Back in 2010 (or maybe 2011) when FF 3.x was the newest version, I never had any kind of instability or any kind. With the newest FF versions, such as FF 8 - 11, the browser hangs and crashes occasionally. Now I know they've improved the performance of flash elements and stuff like that considerably, but I have an i5 750, so I never knew the difference. They can improve flash performance, but they can't make a stable browser. IMO they have fucked up priorities. At least it wasn't like that with FF 3.6.

I dont know man. Ive been using it constant for a while now and I dont have any problems at all with it. No stability problem or compatibility problems or anything. I used to have to keep IE handy because every now and then Id run up on a website that wouldnt display right on FF or Chrome. I cant remember the last time I had to do that with these later versions of FF.

I have been using the x64 nightly build for several months, 14.0a1 installed itself today.
There's a completely different download manager now, it's not a separate window anymore.

Removal of the UAC prompt on upgrades, smooth scrolling is enabled by default, html5 media control improvements, better developer tools and bug fixes. It's a lot of groundwork for major changes coming in 13 and 14.

Firefox is still the best around for my preference (I don't care for Chrome or IE9). I don't trip on the numbering scheme. To me it shows they are actively involved in making it better.

Firefox is still the best around for my preference (I don't care for Chrome or IE9). I don't trip on the numbering scheme. To me it shows they are actively involved in making it better.

No. No it does not.

What if a new version came out tomorrow, only thing added was a new desktop icon. Did they make it better? No.

But if they choose to they can change the icon and simply bump up the version number.

Generally a new version number = Big difference over the old version. But changing crap like a new icon would be 12.0.1 not 13. They are being petty with the numbering. But it is their progam so they can do what they want.

No. No it does not.

Yes it means they are making it better.

What if a new version came out tomorrow, only thing added was a new desktop icon. Did they make it better? No.

Yes to your question.

But if they choose to they can change the icon and simply bump up the version number.

Generally a new version number = Big difference over the old version. But changing crap like a new icon would be 12.0.1 not 13. They are being petty with the numbering. But it is their progam so they can do what they want.

What firefox does is probably better than whatever you got on your system :p

No. No it does not.

They can choose whatever numbering scheme they want.

They could start off from 1000 as the first version. What difference does it make?

The only thing that they did was transition to a new number scheme. So what?

For range fanboys, I guess it does matter. It was a necessary move in order to stay "in the game", so to speak. Somebody who knows nothing about browsers would use Chrome, going by the version numbers alone (that is, the general public). Hence the transition. Open your eyes, please.

I'm a Chrome(ium) user myself because for the things I need and want - Chrome does them better. I do believe both browsers do have their own advantages.

Yeah I got over the frustration about the ridiculous inconsitency with their version numbering. But something that will never cease to bloody annoy me is just how bloody often it wants to update. I believe it literally wants to update very near every time I open firefox (though I don't often close firefox). This pisses me off for one simple fact, it always wants to update when I want to use the frikkin progam. I don't have monster computers with tonnes of ram, fast hdds etc trying to have awesome load times for my load time to ultimately be dependant on the freakin internet downloading updates. Can't they do something else like load firefox first then have like a little notification icon somewhere saying firefox wants to update and it will either by clicking on the icon or automatically next time you EXIT firefox.

I mean I wouldn't give a shit if it wanted to update for a minute or so after I finished doing what I wanted to do. It makes a 'quick search' a pain in the ass...

No. No it does not.

Changes for every version since Rapid release started.

FF5 - Improved page loading speed of complex sites, WebM integration, and bug fixes.
GC12 - Multi profiles, print and save in pdf viewer, delete flash cookies, 3D CSS, bug fixes

FF6 - Permissions manager, faster startup, new JS compiler, bug fixes
GC13 - Pre rendred webpages, print preview

FF7 - 50% less memory than 4
GC14 - Web Audio API, Mac print preview, Chrome web store improvements, bug fixes (came out a month after 13)

FF8 - disabled 3rd party add-ons by default, tabs on demand, add-on confirmation on upgrade.
GC15 - Faster print preview, fullscreen JS API, Vp8 codec switch, Extensions integrated to setting page (Month after 14)

FF9 - Javascript performance up by 30%, JS do not track support, html5 improvements, OSX improvements, bug fixes (month after 8)
GC16 - Multiple profiles on by default. additional options for extensions

FF10 - Automatically enables add-ons, Improved WebGL performance, CSS style inspector and better support.
GC17 - Adjustable print preview margins, search engine sync, extensions API, updated prerendering of pages, download scanning protection

FF11 - Chrome migration, SPDY integration, Page Inspector 3D view, CSS style editor, improved developer tools, Add-on sync
GC18 - Hardware accelerated Canvas 2D, Software WebGL

Both of them basically made a lot of changes you can't see, yet like clockwork when a new Firefox is released "OMG Firefox is just changed the Icon and said it's a new version!!! Chrome is so much better!!"

Yeah, a major version bump means new features are added to the codebase. There have always been new features in every version since FF4.0 hence the version bumps. Back when they were in FF2 and FF3 they didn't really add new features in 3.1 and 3.2. It was mostly bug fixes, and things like 3.1.1 and 3.2.1 were small things like security patches.

We had to wait until FF4 for new features and we used to have to wait about a year to get new features or else use the nightly builds.

Now we can use the stable release builds and get new features every couple months.

With a browser like Chrome that gets new features every month or 2 Firefox had to change it's release schedule to even be able to compete. I like that we get new features and upgraded/improved backend systems so often now.

when your Internet browser has more version in a year than Final Fantasy had in 10 years, well you should worry a little :p

...aren't the FF updates transparent or at most marginally inconvenient?

Changes for every version since Rapid release started.

FF5 - Improved page loading speed of complex sites, WebM integration, and bug fixes.
GC12 - Multi profiles, print and save in pdf viewer, delete flash cookies, 3D CSS, bug fixes

FF6 - Permissions manager, faster startup, new JS compiler, bug fixes
GC13 - Pre rendred webpages, print preview

FF7 - 50% less memory than 4
GC14 - Web Audio API, Mac print preview, Chrome web store improvements, bug fixes (came out a month after 13)

FF8 - disabled 3rd party add-ons by default, tabs on demand, add-on confirmation on upgrade.
GC15 - Faster print preview, fullscreen JS API, Vp8 codec switch, Extensions integrated to setting page (Month after 14)

FF9 - Javascript performance up by 30%, JS do not track support, html5 improvements, OSX improvements, bug fixes (month after 8)
GC16 - Multiple profiles on by default. additional options for extensions

FF10 - Automatically enables add-ons, Improved WebGL performance, CSS style inspector and better support.
GC17 - Adjustable print preview margins, search engine sync, extensions API, updated prerendering of pages, download scanning protection

FF11 - Chrome migration, SPDY integration, Page Inspector 3D view, CSS style editor, improved developer tools, Add-on sync
GC18 - Hardware accelerated Canvas 2D, Software WebGL

Both of them basically made a lot of changes you can't see, yet like clockwork when a new Firefox is released "OMG Firefox is just changed the Icon and said it's a new version!!! Chrome is so much better!!"

This. Its flavor of the day for browsers. Used to be Firefox was God's own browser. Now it sucks.....because they don't use decimals for numbering them. Chrome rules.

Yeesh.

...aren't the FF updates transparent or at most marginally inconvenient?

Damn, no edit SUCKS!

Pretty much transparent. Occasionally you'll have to restart after fire it up and it downloads and installs the update but that happens about once or twice a month. No big deal to me.

Really ? That's a full version update?

I somehow think it probably breaks a longer list of stuff than it fixes.

This is really getting insane/

• Windows: Firefox is now easier to update with one less prompt (User Account Control)
  • Page Source now has line numbers
  • Line breaks are now supported in the title attribute
  • Improvements to "Find in Page" to center search result
  • URLs pasted into the download manager window are now automatically downloaded
  • The column-fill CSS property has been implemented
  • Support for the text-align-last CSS property has been added
  • Experimental support for ECMAScript 6 Map and Set objects has been implemented
  • Fixed where WebGL performance may be degraded on some OS X hardware

Back