Simple Case Mod: Shuttle SZ68R5 needs more air!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMadki4

Supreme [H]ardness
[H]owdy all. I've got a new system, freshly built. And yes, I'm going to be cutting it up, just like I do with every other case. Lot's of firsts for me on this one: first Intel chip (wow, I know), first serious mITX (I have an E350 also for htpc) and first Shuttle.

Here's a run down of the hardyware:

1. Intel i7 2600K (yep, everybody and their brother just picked one of these up)
  2. Shuttle SZ68R5 (bad ass, google it)
  3. Crucial C300 128GB SSD
  4. G.Skill 16GB (4GBx4) Rip Jaw memory
  5. MSI HD6870 Hawk 1GB GPU
  6. Seagate Barracude 1TB HDD
IMG_3087.jpg

The Problem to Address:
After repairing a bend pin in the socket I got it all together and running nicely. However, under the load of gaming, the fans really wind up and make this little SFF a real toaster. So, there in lies the mod in question. MORE AIRFLOW! The 6870 is starved for cool external air, and the non-reference style cooler is just circulating hot air around the case, only some of it escaping through the CPU's I.C.E. cooler (make it hotter).

Prototype
So here is my lovely ghetto prototype, testing my theory of adding a larger GPU side intake and blowhole. The fan on top is an Antec 3 speed fan I pulled from my box-o-goodies and fastened down with drywall screws (ha!)
IMG_3092.jpg

Prototype Results:

I must say, it made a BIG IMPROVEMENT. Idles temps on the GPU went from 42*C down to 32*C. CPU down a little from 36*C to 33*C. And under load the GPU went from balmy 77*C down to a more comfortable 66*C. CPU didn't change but a few degrees. I am VERY pleased. Even at 66*C, the fans on the 6870 don't spin up very loud.

Parts on order:
So, since my prototype has proven to be somewhat successful, I'll be putting the stock case cover under the knife. On order for this some black aluminum hexagonal modder's mesh. Also, for better and quieter cooling I've ordered a couple Scythe PWM fans. One 92mm for the I.C.E and one 120mm for the blowhole.

And here is how she's sitting now (fan now mounted internally with a grill), awaiting the side panel surgery. I'll keep you posted. :)
IMG_3101.jpg

I haven't seen this shuttle it has a awesome setup.

Unrelated what JBL speakers are those?

I haven't seen this shuttle it has a awesome setup.

Unrelated what JBL speakers are those?
Yeah, it's a sweet barebones system so for. I love it.

The speakers are my trusty old Media200s. Great sound for their age.

I hate to critique but....that cardboard does not go all the way around....so your test results may be.....questionable?

I apologize in advance...really I do. :(

I hate to critique but....that cardboard does not go all the way around....so your test results may be.....questionable?

I apologize in advance...really I do. :(
When testing I had one piece that did go all the way around. But I cut it into three pieces and left the side you see off. I don't even have the GPU side on right now. Only running the top to have something to mount the fan to. But you are correct. Leaving that side panel would make my test results "questionable". But testing was done fully enclosed in cardboard goodness.

+1 and subscribed.

I LOVE this case. Going to open it up again soon ... run antenna leads to a mini PCI-E wifi card and install a new Crucial M4 (C300 going into older box).

Just ordered my shuttle and a intell wifi card and the tyco antenna. Need to save for the asetek and figure out what to do aout my DD 7970. I like to keep things unmodded. LOL!!!!

Call me impatient but....any updates? LOL!!!!!!!:D
Keep your pants on, Digi!! :D FrozenCPU just sent me a shipping confirmation email this afternoon for the hex mesh and two PWM fans. USPS Priority. Should be good to go by the weekend. But I don't need the mesh to go ahead and make my cuts to the cover. So that may happen soon. :)

LOL!!! I may be over 30 years old but getting a new toy always makes me hyper. Shuttle tomorrow....hopefully. LOL!!

Hmm, looks like a nice case. I just may have to get this case! I had an antec aria and it was crap.

Can't wait to see finished mod!

I'm always a fan of any Shuttle mod, so I'll watch this with interest. There was a time that Shuttle offered mesh covers. I do wish they'd consider a new variation of them. They lay all the groundwork for high performance systems, and then starve the video cards of airflow. That shouldn't be the case.

I'm always a fan of any Shuttle mod, so I'll watch this with interest. There was a time that Shuttle offered mesh covers. I do wish they'd consider a new variation of them. They lay all the groundwork for high performance systems, and then starve the video cards of airflow. That shouldn't be the case.
Yeah, I couldn't agree more. All over this case is bred for SFF high performance, but it's chocked there at the GPU. But it won't take much to remedy that :)

Ha Ha Get it? Case!? :D :p
This is how I feel I enjoy the small form factor high power computers.

Lol, I should have known that was coming.

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. All over this case is bred for SFF high performance, but it's chocked there at the GPU. But it won't take much to remedy that :)

Indeed. You are definitely on the right track. :D

I remember this. I believe that was for the G and G2 cases. They should consider one for the R5 as well.

Got my Shuttle today! Whoo!!!!

Sadly got to wait until I get my other stuff.

I remember this. I believe that was for the G and G2 cases. They should consider one for the R5 as well.

It was indeed. I still have a few contacts at Shuttle. It might be worth passing along.

Got my Shuttle today! Whoo!!!!

Sadly got to wait until I get my other stuff.

Nice! Every time I see a new Shuttle mod like this, I keep thinking I need to go back to my roots and get another one. Must... resist...

It was indeed. I still have a few contacts at Shuttle. It might be worth passing along.

Nice! Every time I see a new Shuttle mod like this, I keep thinking I need to go back to my roots and get another one. Must... resist...

I think i remember you. Sudhian?

Yes please pass it along.

A fresh delivery on my doorstep when I get home from work; mesh and fans. Not to be confused w/ bangers and mash...
IMAG0981.jpg

I laid out my master plan for letting this case breathe better...
IMAG0982.jpg

With a trembling hand I made the first cuts...
IMAG0983.jpg

After just a few minutes of letting the cutting wheel eat, big nasty holes in my pretty brushed aluminum cover...
IMAG0985.jpg

Now to round out the corners and clean up the edges. I'll also need to cut my aluminum pieces for mounting the 120mm fan. Woop! ;)

Away with the red tape (which was used to mark on and protect the cover will handling and cutting on it) and revealed underneath is this. Just the test fit, to make sure my holes don't need to be modified any. They don't, so onward!!
IMG_3110.jpg

And with all the edges cleaned up and smoothed out, I put some mesh on there. The mesh came prepainted/coated and it looks fantastic! Easy to cut and handle. Here's the top exhaust:
IMG_3113.jpg

Here's just the cover, with the mesh on both new cutouts. And Dog... :)
IMG_3114.jpg

And the final product (at least as far as this cover goes):
IMG_3120.jpg

IMG_3130.jpg

IMG_3134.jpg

IMG_3126.jpg

IMG_3135.jpg

The only thing left to do is make my fan bracket for mounting the 120mm Scythe PWM exhaust fan. I didn't want to mount it to the cover for noise and vibration reasons. It will mount directly to the chassis, isolated by small rubber pads if there is room. Coming soon!

Alright. If I were to order up a new cover....how much for you to do this? LOL!!

That looks REALLY nice but.....why the off center fan hole?

I would suggest some dust protection mesh for those holes personally.....

Thanks! Temp feedback coming soon :)

That top fan is off center because of the PSU. A 92mm could probably be centered, but not a 120.

And dust had never been a problem in my office thankfully, but good suggestion :)

How did you get the mesh to mount to the case? Another clean build out of you.

Clear epoxy. Sets in about 5 min. Fully cured in 24 hours. It'll hold quite nicely. I've used it on other mods before.

Thanks all! I'm looking forward to getting the 120mm fan bracket made and mounting the fan in there to see my improved temps! Even without it, my temps are better. And hopefully the Scythe fans will be quieter than stock.

Looks great!

When I first saw the pictures of it cut, I was thinking "damn that doesn't look good". But now with the tape off and mesh in place, it looks awesome. It looks like the case came like that!

Looks great!

When I first saw the pictures of it cut, I was thinking "damn that doesn't look good". But now with the tape off and mesh in place, it looks awesome. It looks like the case came like that!
Yeah, there is always that stage of modding when you've started cutting and you're like "what the hell have I done!?!?" But when you do it right, it comes out looking okay without a lot of touch up. Preparation and patience are key.

Nice cuts/mesh. Looks like it came from the factory that way! :)

Didn't take me long to get the fan brackets cut and get the fan suspended inside the case. In addition to the top 120mm Scythe Kaze fan, I also swapped in a 92mm Scythe Kama for the I.C.E. cooler in hopes of quieter operation (it's already pretty cool, so no worries there).
IMG_3141.jpg

Everything is running cool and quiet and looks good. The only additional thing I may do is add some vinyl over the top fan's wires where they run through the frame of the fan. When looking down on the case everything is black/carbon fiber except for the wires. So I'd like to hide those.

Once I get a moment to sit down and really test, I'll get some temperatures pulled together so you can see the difference this mod has made. Thank for watching! :D

EDIT: And thanks for the comments/compliments! Hearing that it looks like it came from the factory like this makes me all warm inside :)

There we go, that's better. Covered up those fan wires. Also, small side note, I believe my suspicions are true; the top exhaust fan may be overpowering and starving the CPU cooler of air. I thought this might happen since they are so close together. I notice by CPU temps go up when I increase the top exhaust rpm. No worries, a simple partition will do the trick. I'm going to use one of the aluminum pieces I cut out of case cover. Waste not want not!
IMG_3144.jpg

Also, I love this 3M di noc stuff. Got a sheet of it from a friend that does car mods. I think I might cover the graphics card with this stuff. It's so bad ass looking and you can see the graphics card really well through the mesh. What you all think?

Thats weird. I was just wondering about that when I logged in. The Shuttle "Design" is heavily dependent on the airflow coming in from those side vents.

Thats weird. I was just wondering about that when I logged in. The Shuttle "Design" is heavily dependent on the airflow coming in from those side vents.
Which I'm sure it still does come through the side vents, but passed through the higher CFM 120mm top exhaust fan rather than the slower spinning 92mm I.C.E. fan. The partition idea will make the top fan fan draws from air at the top GPU area and the I.C.E. fan draw air from lower in the case and the right hand side panel vent.

Also, I love this 3M di noc stuff. Got a sheet of it from a friend that does car mods. I think I might cover the graphics card with this stuff. It's so bad ass looking and you can see the graphics card really well through the mesh. What you all think?

I've seen that stuff as well and have been wow'd by it.
I say DO IT :D

Wow came out great- you make me want to get one of these shoe boxes :D What did you use for the fan bracket? The aluminum from the case cuts? Also is it just resting on the frame of the case or secured in some way? I think you should apply the carbon fiber to the gpu heatsink- it would complete the look ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back