AMD's Sasa Marinkovic Interviewed

HardOCP News

[H] News
Engadget has posted an interview with AMD's Sasa Marinkovic, the company's head of desktop and software product marketing, that is definitely worth reading. Here's a snippet from the full interview:

I've been with ATI and AMD for the past 16 years and I wouldn't change that for anything. When I started at ATI there were 30 companies doing graphics. If you look at how the world has changed in the past 15 years, it's amazing, and it's cool to be part of that. We do pay attention to our competitors to make sure we haven't missed anything, but at the end of the day we try to look at what people want to do in the future and we try to anticipate their needs for years to come.

What I want to know is why aren't there any new mATX boards out for the FX series? It's all trinity or nothing for small form factors unless you count old 8 and 7 chipset boards. Looking at the specs it seems like the 970 and 990x would only really make sense on mATX.

AMD and Marketing?

Not a very busy man then?

Depends on where you look. It's easy to forget ATI belongs to AMD now. ATI has a massive ad presence in computer magazines, moreso than nVidia I think - at least the last time I looked at computer mags I always saw ATI.

AMD/ATI also get credit for OEM mentionables. So and so parts in this so and so machine - tack on ATI's badge logo and their motto.

What is ATI's motto anyways? nVidia is "how it's meant to be played" or some sort. I don't remember ATI ever having one.

I hope AMD would get back to being competitive in the high performance CPU segment, though it wouldn't surprise me if they choose to focus in the mobile segment instead

I hope AMD would get back to being competitive in the high performance CPU segment, though it wouldn't surprise me if they choose to focus in the mobile segment instead

They already are competitive in the high performance CPU segment. The problem is that their architecture necessitates a very heavy, multithreaded workload to shine. They don't have the best all-round CPU in that segment but for anyone who does heavy video encoding, for example. the bulldozer is clearly faster than the Intel alternatives in that price range.

Depends on where you look. It's easy to forget ATI belongs to AMD now. ATI has a massive ad presence in computer magazines, moreso than nVidia I think - at least the last time I looked at computer mags I always saw ATI.

AMD/ATI also get credit for OEM mentionables. So and so parts in this so and so machine - tack on ATI's badge logo and their motto.

What is ATI's motto anyways? nVidia is "how it's meant to be played" or some sort. I don't remember ATI ever having one.

Magazines? As in paper magazines? Wow, how last century. :D

Back