Path of Exile vs Diablo 3

Both are great. I enjoy POE more, but maybe it's because there is more to do in the beta and its more challenging at the moment.

It's about time that the gloves came off!

Though, I'm too tired of the discussion.

I will buy D3 when it goes on sale to $40.
PoE has my money for now.

I have yet to play PoE but I did enjoy playing the D3 Beta enough to want to play it on release day. I'll test out PoE before I make a valid judgment.

Both are great. I enjoy POE more, but maybe it's because there is more to do in the beta and its more challenging at the moment.

Really? PoE is actually pretty easy, and if D3 is even more easy, it will be a snoozefest.

1. Why didn't you at least wait until D3 open beta was open?
2. Where's the poll?

Thread fail.

Apple and oranges.
less than an hour of gameplay vs more than half a game.

Still, I prefer the fast paced gameplay of D3.
The talent tree of PoE looks better but there's no dept in it so it's lackluster.

D3 > PoE (for me)

I like both.

In my opinion Path of Exile has a much better skill system. Diablo 3 has better presentation quality and storyline. (Although we don't totally know the story of POE yet.)

Materia + FF10 skill tree = Awesomeness.

D3 feels dumbed down compared to D2. PoE I haven't played yet, but if it's closer to D2 then D3 is I would much rather play that.

Well and the fact there's no horrible b.net requirement, that too.

I like both.

In my opinion Path of Exile has a much better skill system. Diablo 3 has better presentation quality and storyline. (Although we don't totally know the story of POE yet.)

Materia + FF10 skill tree = Awesomeness.

This is how I feel.

I will buy D3 when it goes on sale to $40.
PoE has my money for now.

Same here. I guess the question is, how popular will Diablo 3 actually end up being, and how long will it take for it to get to $40. :p

Really? PoE is actually pretty easy, and if D3 is even more easy, it will be a snoozefest.

They've been tweaking the D3 difficulty (mostly by adding more enemies it seemed to me). Diablo 3 feels a bit easier because of all the health drops, and I rarely ever had to use potions in D3. But PoE has regenerating health flasks (when you get kills, not just over time) so even if you have to spam potions in PoE, it's still not that hard.

Same here. I guess the question is, how popular will Diablo 3 actually end up being, and how long will it take for it to get to $40. :p

Yeah, Blizzard doesn't seem to drop their prices all that fast. And it's been 12 years since D2's release, they will probably take their sweet time dropping the price of D3. What would they be in a hurry for? :D
Also I think SC2 took about a year and a half to come down to 40 bucks.

I have an idea - how about we wait for both games to actually be released until we all start making conclusions/comparisons?

I have an idea - how about we wait for both games to actually be released until we all start making conclusions/comparisons?

Too late, it's been happening for months. Might as well have a thread where anyone who wants to go at it, can.

Too late, it's been happening for months. Might as well have a thread where anyone who wants to go at it, can.

I know, I've read pretty much every post in every PoE, DS, and Torchlight 2 thread on this forum. And honestly, it's all the same drivel - "Game X > Game Y, cuz X has this and Y doesn't!" That's fine and all when you're comparing two games that have actually been released, where folks can form their opinions based on finalized content. Comparing finalized games based on their respective betas just seems so pointless.

Yeah, Blizzard doesn't seem to drop their prices all that fast. And it's been 12 years since D2's release, they will probably take their sweet time dropping the price of D3. What would they be in a hurry for? :D
Also I think SC2 took about a year and a half to come down to 40 bucks.

Well there's already been a $50 deal so I don't think something like a $50 + $10 Amazon/Newegg gift card is all that implausible.

Comparing finalized games based on their respective betas just seems so pointless.

Well, I don't know about PoE but Diablo 3 is less than a month away from release. I think what you see is 99% likely what we're going to get at retail. With more content, of course. But the gameplay mechanics I'm guessing are pretty much set.

I guess personally I want to play both, but it's hard to justify $60 for D3 over $10 (actually I put in $25) for PoE when I personally like PoE more.

If I was still unemployed I might buy D3 at release, but as is I barely have time to play PoE let alone two of these games. I can afford to wait for D3 to go on sale.

I know, I've read pretty much every post in every PoE, DS, and Torchlight 2 thread on this forum. And honestly, it's all the same drivel - "Game X > Game Y, cuz X has this and Y doesn't!" That's fine and all when you're comparing two games that have actually been released, where folks can form their opinions based on finalized content. Comparing finalized games based on their respective betas just seems so pointless.

Fair enough. :)

If I was still unemployed I might buy D3 at release...

That's funny, I would expect that unemployed people shouldn't be able to afford $60 games. But I guess even an unemployed man could still prioritize D3 over food.

rinse, wash, repeat... I can see where this is going....

V3Nye.jpg

I gotta try this PoE. I fucking hated the D3 beta, maybe this can help ease my disappointment.

That's funny, I would expect that unemployed people shouldn't be able to afford $60 games. But I guess even an unemployed man could still prioritize D3 over food.

Well, yeah, it's kind of a catch-22. When you have the money you don't have the time, but when you have the time...yeah.

PoE is such a shameless rip-off. At least, they could've changed the health and mana orbs.. holy crap!

rinse, wash, repeat... I can see where this is going....

V3Nye.jpg
At least there's a thread dedicated to it, so perhaps the D3 and PoE threads will be more about those respective games instead of debates between the two. Maybe. Probably not. :D

PoE is such a shameless rip-off. At least, they could've changed the health and mana orbs.. holy crap!
:rolleyes:

I'd be interested in Path of Exile but the economy/bartering system is a deal breaker for me.

I'd be interested in Path of Exile but the economy/bartering system is a deal breaker for me.

I find it very refreshing. Its much more like bartering than having the most gold. Speaking of gold in video games, I think its a very tired system of commerce.

Think about it though, your a cast away on an island, what do you use for trade? Gold? why would there be gold? everyone that has come to the Island has nothing but the clothes on there back. So items or means of survival would be the form of currency.

I didn't see this thread and posted this in the d3 beta weekend thread ... woops.

I finished the beta with a barbarian, and was wanting to try witch doctor, but I can't log on. I have been playing a lot of PoE lately, so my first impression was that D3 is zoomed so far out. I wish I could zoom in.
I didn't see this thread, as I posted this in the D3 thread.
]My opinion of PoE vs D3:

The graphics are a bit of a let down compared to PoE, my HDX laptop with an 8800M maxes D3 out.
The characters are much more distinct and developed than they are in PoE.
The animations in D3 are better as well as the physics and interactive environments.
I like the many different weapon types of D3, (scythes and spears ) and weapon models, although I would like to see D3s socketed weapons and gems as PoE is very extensive in that regard.
I think PoEs flask system is superiour to having to buy flasks and collect orbs, in D3.
D3s quests, lore, and story are much better than PoEs.
I would like to see more of D3s environments as PoE has many varied settings.
The sound effects and atmosphere are far better in D3.

Overall I am looking forward to playing D3, and was wanting to try more after defeating the skeleton king ... also I am really looking forward to Blizzards D3 cinematics.

Last edited:
Not sure how much PoE you've played but it has a ton of weapon types, just like Diablo. Maybe even more actually.

Back