Potential For Digital Pearl Harbor Is Real

HardOCP News

[H] News
A former FBI "cyberexpert" says that the potential for a digital Pearl Harbor is real. Thankfully this guy is now working for a company that can help save us all! :rolleyes:

One of the challenges of highlighting this threat with the general public is they often don't see the physical ramifications of these types of attacks. When data is exfiltrated, it's gone but it's also still physically there. The adversary has it but when you open up your folders you see it there, so it doesn't seem real. When people talk about a "digital Pearl Harbor" they are talking about physical ramifications that are really going to get people's attention.

Well damn if that's the case we should immediately push though SOPA, PIPA, CISCA, URFUKD, and every other one of them.

WE NEED TO GIVE UP EVERYTHING SO WE CAN BE SAFE!!!!

Well damn if that's the case we should immediately push though SOPA, PIPA, CISCA, URFUKD, and every other one of them.

You forgot, "IT'S FOR THE CHILDREN!!!111" :p

this has been said for yearsssssssssssssssss, that the U,S could get raped by a cyber attack, every government agency around has been hacked to hell and back and even their own employees manage to get data out on USB keys...

The government approves of this message.
(but they lack the sarcasm)

I'm growing tired of saying it but the people claiming to protect us are the very ones we need to worry about. Everyone is the bad guys except for the real bad guys (Gov, this middle fingers to you!).

The Gov, which is building the biggest spy center in the world (I know it stated "country" but I don't believe it) wants more control, for me to worry about everyone else, and pay my taxes. So they can continue on this path of imperialist destruction of all of our personal liberties. Hmmm. I guess the word terrorist fits in right here somewhere to describe them (how they describe everyone against them).

Fire%20Sale.gif

He might be right, but we all know what happened AFTER Pearl Harbor. A "cyber Pearl Harbor" would be considered the same as an attack on the US mainland, and would elicit a military response in kind. This serves as a deterrent to this type of attack. So I am not too worried.

The bigger fear is some idiot group of idealistic (AKA naive) hackers gets pissed off about some US policy or politician, and figures out a way to take down the power grid to make a "statement".

Sounds like the guy is trying really really hard to justify his 'job'.

He might be right, but we all know what happened AFTER Pearl Harbor. A "cyber Pearl Harbor" would be considered the same as an attack on the US mainland, and would elicit a military response in kind. This serves as a deterrent to this type of attack. So I am not too worried.

The bigger fear is some idiot group of idealistic (AKA naive) hackers gets pissed off about some US policy or politician, and figures out a way to take down the power grid to make a "statement".

And how would these hypothetical hactivists get their message out after they took down the power grid?

How can this jackass even begin to relate such a tragic loss of human life to a cyber attack? :eek:

sigh. no shite cheryle.

Why do I feel like I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop on my sack?

He's not even the one bring up the term the stupid "journalist" keeps saying "digital pearl harbor" he says he hasn't heard the term for 5 years. There is no caught unprepared situation, you either have a budget and build security into your infrastructure or you don't. The attacks never stop. You most likely just aren't monitoring for them correctly.

What ever. I think its already at the point where the gov't agencies want to own everyone. Turn the damn internet off for all I care, I can go hunting and fishing IRL instead.

Back