Web Freedom Faces Greatest Threat Ever

HardOCP News

[H] News
Your freedom on the internet faces the greatest threat ever: Facebook, Apple and the government. So says Google.

In an interview with the Guardian, Brin warned there were "very powerful forces that have lined up against the open internet on all sides and around the world". "I am more worried than I have been in the past," he said. "It's scary."

Wahhh these mega corporations are richer and more successful then us and they want to do things differently then we do. They're evil, we're good. Wahhh.

Of all the major corporations, Google is the least bad, and that's because of the nature of their business.

They thrive on a free and open internet. Censorship costs them money, thus they are against it.

So I support Google in this case because even if they were greedy, selfish money grubbers, they can be trusted at the moment because they are lining their pockets by connecting the world.

Of all the major corporations, Google is the least bad, and that's because of the nature of their business.

They thrive on a free and open internet. Censorship costs them money, thus they are against it.

So I support Google in this case because even if they were greedy, selfish money grubbers, they can be trusted at the moment because they are lining their pockets by connecting the world.

While I guess I'm on google side in this situation either I laugh at the notion they can be trusted. More than the others? Thats open to discussion.

Wahhh these mega corporations are richer and more successful then us and they want to do things differently then we do. They're evil, we're good. Wahhh.

um you i think you should read that again, cause you know google has more money than many countries, and they are telling us this, so it would probably be wise to listen

;)

Google of the past might be "innocent", but they are quickly walking down the wrong path. The moment that their base search engine started becoming "personalized" to my user data, is when it became a source for advertising. I don't want "my" results, I want ALL of the results, without bias.

I's pretty clear that Facebook wants to swallow the Internet — they want applications, "websites", inside Facebook, and don't want to interact with other websites.

Apple hates freedom, on the web or elsewhere.

Governments hate what they can't control.

While I guess I'm on google side in this situation either I laugh at the notion they can be trusted. More than the others? Thats open to discussion.

No publicly traded company can be trusted. A major corporation could have been started by Mother Teresa. As soon as it went public any morality goes out the window in the never ending race to appease the shareholders.

I agree with Google.

Facebook is making itself the center of everything you do. Even though Google wants the same thing with Google+. Apple has a controlled ecosystem that it alone controls. Government is just government. Like we needed Google to point that out.

I trust Google more then all that, but that's like saying I trust Democrats over Republicans. They seem like the lesser evil but they're all the same shit. They just wanna be where everyone else is already. The more successful enemies. Not uncommon that a company wants to bring people into a common cause against a common enemy. Apple did this very thing.

I do regard Google as more of a saint compared to Apple and Facebook.

^ I can agree with that sentiment, however, Google really isn't THAT much better than Apple and Facebook. Just better.... slightly.

lesser of evils = google.

Im cool to team up with them for internet freedom :)

I don't trust Facebook or Apple at all....so Google doesn't have to do much to have me at least partially on their side.

Spot on Ashbringer! No problem letting Google be our Russia, but once the evil Internet axis is defeated, there can only be one highlander. Corporate tolerance and a perceived sense of freedom or a truly open interwebz, pick your side wisely.

No publicly traded company can be trusted. A major corporation could have been started by Mother Teresa. As soon as it went public any morality goes out the window in the never ending race to appease the shareholders.

^ I can agree with that sentiment, however, Google really isn't THAT much better than Apple and Facebook. Just better.... slightly.

These two pretty much sum up it up.

Google needs to include itself in the threats to freedom. They've been caught collecting information they shouldn't before, and the information they collect that you "consent" to... God only knows what they do with that.

lesser of evils = google.

Im cool to team up with them for internet freedom :)

If I have to choose an evil, I choose Cthulhu. You always know where you stand with Cthulhu.

Until you're eaten.

Your freedom on the internet faces the greatest threat ever: Facebook, Apple and the government. So says Google.

It's totally true - and the people here that are saying Google is crazy are the sheep of the world. They are the cattle while the pigs take convincingly and slyly shape them.

Apple - DRM music, locks your Apple / source code so you can't do anything for yourself or for your own mind - only the mind Apple sees fit.
Facebook - Tracking of all your lives - or the people stupid enough to put their lives their, especially the ones that do so every day ;)
The government - Well.... nuff' said :p

Anyone who his yelling baloney at this article is just a sheep among the herd.

It's totally true - and the people here that are saying Google is crazy are the sheep of the world. They are the cattle while the pigs take convincingly and slyly shape them.

Apple - DRM music, locks your Apple / source code so you can't do anything for yourself or for your own mind - only the mind Apple sees fit.
Facebook - Tracking of all your lives - or the people stupid enough to put their lives their, especially the ones that do so every day ;)

I agree. Would just have to add that Google excluding itself is somewhat humorous, but I guess I'd have to agree with the sentiment that they're still the "lesser evil" so to speak. When they started answering to greedy shareholders they lost control of their ship.

Right now I trust Microsoft more than Google.

Microsoft hasn't done anything to piss off people in a long time. Not like in the past where they were forcing us to have Internet Explorer installed and what not. That though is largely thanks to Europe and their anal government.

The migration from XP to Vista with DX10 being absent in XP left a terrible taste in my mouth. Which pretty much left a good number of future PC titles anchored to DX9 level of graphics.

Compared to Apple and Facebook it's nothing to complain about. Google does deal with a lot of open source software. To me that puts Google above Microsoft. If Android went closed source tomorrow, then my opinion would change.

And Google is lesser than that? It owns the search engine market and is trying to dominate the browser market. There's virtually no better way of tracking someone than that. Ever heard of the "AOL search data leak" controversy? Yeah multiply that times 1000.

And Google is lesser than that? It owns the search engine market and is trying to dominate the browser market. There's virtually no better way of tracking someone than that. Ever heard of the "AOL search data leak" controversy? Yeah multiply that times 1000.

Through their search engine which Microsoft has Bing, which is nowhere near as popular but you know Microsoft wishes they were. At the very least Google lets you know they collect data on you.

Through their search engine which Microsoft has Bing, which is nowhere near as popular but you know Microsoft wishes they were. At the very least Google lets you know they collect data on you.

I don't think people realize the extent at which Google operates. They get so many search queries (~2 billion) per day they can accurately map out the distribution of illnesses in countries just based on the searches alone. That's vast. With that kind of sample size they can do just about anything.

http://www.google.org/flutrends/about/how.html
vhrc0n.png

These graphs show historical query-based flu estimates for different countries and regions compared against official influenza surveillance data. As you can see, estimates based on Google search queries about flu are very closely matched to traditional flu activity indicators.

Goes to show you the how far reaching they have become. People whine about Apple DRM locking them out of their device's full potential, or Facebook which watches your high school gossip type BS, but Google is far above anyone. Sometimes I wonder why I still have Google as my homepage. :p

Back