Google Drive 5GB For Free

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to this article, Google Drive will be offering up to 5GB of storage for free. Any takers?

Although rumors have been circling for awhile, it was widely reported in March that Google would launch its own online storage and collaboration service, dubbed Google Drive, at some point in April. That appears to be very true now, along with some additional details to sweeten the deal. For example, instead of the earlier expected 1GB of free cloud space, each user will be getting up to 5GB of free space on Google Drive.

Sure, but Drop Box already offers 5GB for free... maybe if Google provided more space?

"Up to"? :p

Dropbox is 2GB free I thought, "up to" 16GB if you refer like a million people. Maybe Google's "up to" means something similar; Refer a friend, get an extra few hundred megs? Who knows, but more space for free from more companies is a good thing.

I've got about a billion gigabytes of free cloud storage from various companies. I haven't used any of them once :p

Doesn't MS skydrive give 25GB?

Yea but skydrive makes you upload files one at a time. The idea of uploading 25gb one file at a time is about as smart as getting rid of the start menu for tiles and touch screen on the desktop. oh wait...:rolleyes:

On a side note I'd check the TOS before uploading data all willy nilly to someones cloud.
Definitely this!^^
Especially when it's Google, but I'd have a hard time trusting the Cloud with my data PERIOD.
Call me old fashioned, I don't freakin' like it! (<name the comedian quoted :p )

Definitely this!^^
Especially when it's Google, but I'd have a hard time trusting the Cloud with my data PERIOD.
Call me old fashioned, I don't freakin' like it! (<name the comedian quoted :p )
That is what encryption is for. I wouldn't leave data on a 3rd party anything without it being encrypted. Unless it was music or something. If they steal copies of my music, I'm not going to cry much.

Yea but skydrive makes you upload files one at a time. The idea of uploading 25gb one file at a time is about as smart as getting rid of the start menu for tiles and touch screen on the desktop. oh wait...:rolleyes:

Not true. I just tested it right now, uploaded 20 images with a drag n drop.

I actually just uploaded all of my pictures last week folders at a time...

Additionally, they're saying by the time Windows 8 hits you'll be able to upload 2GB files although I'll believe that when I see it ;)

Ya but M$ cripples SkyDrive with a 50mg file cap. On a side note I'd check the TOS before uploading data all willy nilly to someones cloud.

Doesn't MS skydrive give 25GB?

Huh :confused: My Microsoft Skydrive only shows 5GB? I've been useing Windows Live Mesh/Sync/Names I can't remember because they change the name so often for awhile now. Use it sync my laptop and desktop work + Remote between the two often.

Where can I get 25GB on the Skydrive! Because that sounds mighty tasty, I'm not sure about that one file at a time jazz because Mesh uploads and downloads multiple files at a time.

I've got a drawer full of 5+GB USB drives that can store (encrypted) data.

Huh :confused: My Microsoft Skydrive only shows 5GB? I've been useing Windows Live Mesh/Sync/Names I can't remember because they change the name so often for awhile now. Use it sync my laptop and desktop work + Remote between the two often.

Where can I get 25GB on the Skydrive! Because that sounds mighty tasty, I'm not sure about that one file at a time jazz because Mesh uploads and downloads multiple files at a time.

I too recently hit the 5GB limit. After scouring the free options I decided on a (rather cheap I might add) paid 50GB Dropbox account.

Dropbox/Live Mesh are definately more advanced and useful that straight file locker sites like Skydrive as they auto sync to Internet and accross multiple computers removing the need to carry stuff around on a USB drive (which is prone to being lost or damaged as has happened to me numerous times).

I now use Dropbox for everything from transporting files between PCs (replacing USB or Gmail), to backing up important documents like University assignments, to sharing PDFs between myself and my supervisor.

The cloud/Internet will eventually replace local storage for most stuff once the Internet reaches very high speed ie fibre.

Amazon, storing all of my music (regardless of size) for free is an even better deal. I can stream it from anywhere.

I went with Box recently and got 50 for using the android app...

Also I have WAY MORE than 5GB in Google's free music locker storage and I still have tons of space

All this is to say why offer less storage than you'd want in your camera? Come to think of it, isn't the space for email 8 some GB?

Not to mention, I am pretty sure they are going to try to "learn" from these files, I'm not completely happy with the way they have stored my music and rather or not they are "evil" they have been increasing and randomly creepy as of late.

All this is to say why offer less storage than you'd want in your camera? Come to think of it, isn't the space for email 8 some GB?

I think they assume the vast majority of people wont even come close to that. I have an email account that I check like once every 6 months. I've had this account for about 15 years. I am using like 700mb of 7GB.

I just bought a Hitachi harddrive and it had a flyer in it saying free 3GB of online storage.

Data mine...data mine...data mine...
What did I miss here...

No... That's about it.

Maybe throw in a bit of marketing for the name.

What you upload may be encrypted, but is irrelevant. The data you provide is worth the storage cost.

Back