Man Linked to 'Anonymous' Faces Hacking Charges

HardOCP News

[H] News
Another Anonymous hacker busted. The 21 year old man faces ten years in jail and a $250,000 fine for allegedly hacking the Utah Chiefs of Police Association and the Salt Lake City Police Department. Probably shouldn't have taken credit for the hacks on Twitter. :eek:

FBI agents say 21-year-old John Anthony Borell III took credit for the attacks on Twitter. Borell appeared with a public defender at federal court in Salt Lake City after being released from a halfway house for the appearance. Prosecutors say Borell faces 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted on two counts of computer intrusion.

Didn't read the article but I bet this "man" is a full time stay at mom's home and complain on the internet. It most likely pays nothing which would require him to get a public defender. Do they still have to pay off using the public defender?

I've seen murderer's and multi million dollar scam artists get away with less.

It seems a lot of hackers have the little man syndrome. Not that I mind. These "dipshits" as one poster called them are causing enormous amounts of grief to everyone else.

I am fairly certain law enforcement spends a lot of time sending warrants to facebook and twitter.

Like most anon, the downfall was publicly bragging about the hack. Late 90s, early 2k this would have been a foot in the door for a security job, now it's a foot in the door for lockup unless you lead LEO to more arrests and rat out your friends.

I keep seeing the armchair Internet crap about public defenders being bad, and I'd like to touch on that subject. You'll encounter just as many bad attorneys on retainer as public defenders. Workload isn't an issue as depicted on silly TV shows either; when a public defenders office is overly busy, they appoint lawyers from designated offices and law firms to represent you. It's a competitive job, it may not be the highest pay but it is certainly difficult to get hired as one. You'd have to be the top of your class to even be considered for a public defender position in most areas.

There is also a continued myth about how you have to be a public defender as an internship or some type of mandatory serving period before becoming a "real lawyer" at a firm. More laughably, it's been stated you're required to be a public defender first before you become a prosecutor -- complete fiction. While some law offices like to have their employees put in public defender hours, it's usually because of a contract between their office and the local representation.

The inmates where he is going are going to be licking their chops for sure. :eek:

Like most anon, the downfall was publicly bragging about the hack. Late 90s, early 2k this would have been a foot in the door for a security job, now it's a foot in the door for lockup unless you lead LEO to more arrests and rat out your friends.

I keep seeing the armchair Internet crap about public defenders being bad, and I'd like to touch on that subject. You'll encounter just as many bad attorneys on retainer as public defenders. Workload isn't an issue as depicted on silly TV shows either; when a public defenders office is overly busy, they appoint lawyers from designated offices and law firms to represent you. It's a competitive job, it may not be the highest pay but it is certainly difficult to get hired as one. You'd have to be the top of your class to even be considered for a public defender position in most areas.

There is also a continued myth about how you have to be a public defender as an internship or some type of mandatory serving period before becoming a "real lawyer" at a firm. More laughably, it's been stated you're required to be a public defender first before you become a prosecutor -- complete fiction. While some law offices like to have their employees put in public defender hours, it's usually because of a contract between their office and the local representation.

This study would seem to support your claims.
http://moritzlaw.osu.edu/osjcl/Articles/Volume3_1/Commentary/Hoffman_3-1.pdf

Back