ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
Looking for a Z77 based motherboard that includes everything but the kitchen sink? Hardware Secrets has a review of the ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE motherboard that you may find interesting.

The ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE is a high-end socket 1155 motherboard targeted to the forthcoming "Ivy Bridge" processors (third-generation Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 processors) and also supporting the current "Sandy Bridge" models (second-generation Core i3, Core i5, and Core i7 processors).

A shame that a motherboard that includes "everything but the kitchen sink" is equipped with an ALC898 audio solution.

A shame that a motherboard that includes "everything but the kitchen sink" is equipped with an ALC898 audio solution.

completely agree withyou. No PIC slots mean I can't use my Xi-Fi on it either without buying a new PCI express one

completely agree withyou. No PIC slots mean I can't use my Xi-Fi on it either without buying a new PCI express one

Yep, I don't feel like buying a new soundcard (my X-Fi XtremeGamer is good enough for gaming) so I will be buying a V-Pro this tim around instead of Deluxe. The Pro has everything I need anyway.

Yep, I don't feel like buying a new soundcard (my X-Fi XtremeGamer is good enough for gaming) so I will be buying a V-Pro this tim around instead of Deluxe. The Pro has everything I need anyway.

I have the XtremeGamer myself that I am quite happy with - therefore, PCI slots are a must. However, Z77 doesn't natively support PCI (hence the reliance on PCIe or USB for non-integrated audio for higher-end offerings, which concentrate on the multi-GPU market).

That has pushed my sights lower, and I find myself looking at lower-end Z77, such as the ASUS P8Z77 V-LX or BIOSTAR TZ77A.

I have the XtremeGamer myself that I am quite happy with - therefore, PCI slots are a must. However, Z77 doesn't natively support PCI (hence the reliance on PCIe or USB for non-integrated audio for higher-end offerings, which concentrate on the multi-GPU market).

That has pushed my sights lower, and I find myself looking at lower-end Z77, such as the ASUS P8Z77 V-LX or BIOSTAR TZ77A.

I'm confused, some of the mid-range boards like the Asus P8Z77-V Pro and Gigabyte UD5H both have PCI slots, which I believe use an exta PCI->PCI-e chip to communicate with the CPU. Why not use one of those boards? I don't know of any downside to this approach, especially for a soundcard which doesn't need a ton of bandwidth. Unless you want to run a 100% Intel chipset setup for some reason.

I'm confused, some of the mid-range boards like the Asus P8Z77-V Pro and Gigabyte UD5H both have PCI slots, which I believe use an exta PCI->PCI-e chip to communicate with the CPU. Why not use one of those boards? I don't know of any downside to this approach, especially for a soundcard which doesn't need a ton of bandwidth. Unless you want to run a 100% Intel chipset setup for some reason.

The PCI-bus support is non-native for *all* Z77-based motherboards - basically, it's a chipset feature lack, and a deliberate one. The reason why some boards have PCI slots (you mentioned the P8Z77 V-Pro; however, this applies to everything below it, all the way down to the P8Z77-V LE/LK/LX) are those extra bridge chips. Some users (this is commonplace at the high-end) want to run three GPUs (that does not include the iGPU), which means no PCI slots on the motherboard at all (if you have double-width GPUs, typically there's no PCI slot space if you have more than two). If you actually do need PCI slots, this choice eliminates the high-end motherboards (due to the deliberate lack of those bridge chips needed for PCI support), while leaving the budget and midrange open (due to their retention of the bridge chips). Feature trade-off - nothing more.

Back