Google Announces Stock Dividend

HardOCP News

[H] News
Attention Google shareholders, the company has announced today that it plans on doling out stock dividends.

Google Inc announced plans to give investors a stock dividend on Thursday, as the search giant reported first quarter revenue roughly in line with Wall Street estimates. Shares of Google, which finished Thursday's regular session at $651.01, rose to $655 in after-hours trading. Google said its board of directors has approved a dividend of stock to existing shareholders that it calls a 2-for-1 stock split, preserving its corporate and control structure.

I don't think it's a real "dividend" just a stock split. Investors arent really getting anything. Unless I am reading wrong.

I don't think it's a real "dividend" just a stock split. Investors arent really getting anything. Unless I am reading wrong.

I think the idea is to split, thereby dropping the share price to half so it can continue an upward trend with less resistance as a less per-share cost might be more attractive.

It's just a split to lower the price of a single stock so that smaller investors can get in on the action. Investors are getting double the stock but each share is half the value. No net change.

The only reason they call it a dividend is because it's a non-voting share. It's just a stock split as mentioned by others, not a dividend.

Still nice for all of the employees who hold shares. 1k shares just became 2k in shares and a split is just about a garuntee of upward mobility in the stock price. Every increase in price post split is worth 2 bucks to the share holder.

you can recieve dividends that are shares not cash it's still called a dividend

Back