PC Shipments Up Nearly 2% in 1st Quarter

HardOCP News

[H] News
PC shipments are up by almost 2% worldwide. It would seem that all those predictions of tablets "killing" the desktop computer and the Chinese were going to buy more PCs didn't really pan out. :rolleyes:

Research firm Gartner says the number of personal computers shipped worldwide rose more than expected in the first quarter but with disappointing results in some parts of the world. Gartner said Wednesday that the total number of shipments increased 1.9 percent year-over-year to 89 million units. That's above its earlier expectations of 1.2 percent.

Analyst: The only job where you can be wrong MOST of the time and STILL cause companies stock to drop when they "miss analyst expectations." :eek: Wow.

Quite a few laptops seem to be cheaper than the entry level iPad.

Let's be honest, when the tablet/smartphone market boomed(not debuted as they are both very old conceptions)everyone got into that craze, but they realised that to click any link on that website you must zoom it twice for display to recognize your pressing the link and writing something took 3 times longer. Long live to the desktop!:D

the desktop machines are getting long on the tooth and as businesses realize they have to go to W7, desktop sales will go up. plus do you really want to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on a tablet - LMFAO - that is where the real work gets done

the desktop machines are getting long on the tooth and as businesses realize they have to go to W7, desktop sales will go up. plus do you really want to Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on a tablet - LMFAO - that is where the real work gets done

Agreed.

Damn and I thought we were in the post PC era that all the windows 8 fanboys talk about :p

What these figures don't account for, is when people like us build/upgrade our own machines...

Tablets are supplemental consumption devices. Not saying that they are not selling like hot cakes, they are, but they are not replacing PCs.

Using the logic of the "post-PC era" hipsters, we can now say that the tablet is dead \o/

"In the U.S., PC shipments totaled 15.5 million units in the first quarter of 2012, a 3.5 percent decline from the same period last year"

Acer declined 25.9%.

And they'll probably drop in the summer while people wait for Windows 8 to come out in the fall.

And they'll probably drop in the summer while people wait for Windows 8 to come out in the fall.

Maybe on the consumer side.
As far as business, we'll be sticking with Windows 7 for several years, so it doesn't matter when Windows 8 comes out.

I no doubt believe this has nothing to do with market share. i think its most likely related to vendors like acer releasing those ultra-compact towers a 3-4 years ago and the numerous corporate tenders they got with those cheaply made furnaces. they put in everything a computer needs except room to breathe. so now the first batches are all out of warranty and acer stops visiting every second day and cost centers are given the option of costly repairs using non-generic pseudo-notebook parts for a crappy computer all the staff has bitched about since it was purchased. alternatively they can pay around the same price for a newer model that promises to be slightly less crappy, with higher specs on paper, just too bad there's no standard spec on airflow to be found.

never have i seen so many and such varied hardware failure. motherboards, ram, hdds, powerpacks even their crappy mini-fans. they all drop like flies. no longer do you see pcs lasting 7 years, they're lucky to make it a month from the day the warranty expires. nowhere should need to keep 5 or more redundant machines onsite when they're too small to require any onsite IT staff and places with onsite IT requiring countless more sitting in storage. well i suppose at least they don't take up much room.

Oh i didn't see the post above about acer tanking. i think it illustrates my point nicely. looks like enterprise environments have realised the terrible mistake they made and are having to replace all their PCs with anything but acer.

Back