why is seagate hiding their warranty info on hard disk?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm trying to find their Barracuda hard drive warranty, I found link that says 5 yr., and links that says 1 yr.

when I goto seagate's website, they won't tell you the warranty unless you have a serial no. but I'm not going to buy any of those stupid drive unless they tell me what the warranty is.

is it even legal for them to mask the warranty info prior to purchase?

I'm trying to find the warranty on this model ST3000DM001

Seagate is the process of reducing warranty lengths on their lines of desktop drives. The warranty length will depend upon the date of manufacture, which can be determined by the serial number.

I'm trying to find their Barracuda hard drive warranty, I found link that says 5 yr., and links that says 1 yr.

when I goto seagate's website, they won't tell you the warranty unless you have a serial no. but I'm not going to buy any of those stupid drive unless they tell me what the warranty is.

is it even legal for them to mask the warranty info prior to purchase?

I'm trying to find the warranty on this model ST3000DM001

As I understand it now, Enterprise is 5 year, OEM/Retail bare drive is 2 years, and retail external is 1 year (as of 1/1/2012). As per newegg, the warranty on that drive is 2 years.

As I understand it now, Enterprise is 5 year, OEM/Retail bare drive is 2 years, and retail external is 1 year (as of 1/1/2012). As per newegg, the warranty on that drive is 2 years.

I just bought a Seagate drive for a client the other day and the retail box says 5 year warranty, does that mean the it is now only 2? or do they get the full 5?
I don't have access to the drive to check the serial on Seagates site at the moment.

This is the one I bought at Office Depot,
http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/993065/Seagate-1TB-1000GB-Internal-Hard-Drive/

Listed in the description,
Backed by the manufacturer's 5-year limited warranty.

I just bought a Seagate drive for a client the other day and the retail box says 5 year warranty, does that mean the it is now only 2? or do they get the full 5?
I don't have access to the drive to check the serial on Seagates site at the moment.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/993065/Seagate-1TB-1000GB-Internal-Hard-Drive/

The best thing to do is go to this page http://support.seagate.com/customer/en-us/warranty_validation.jsp?form=0 and enter your product and serial numbers.

It is a crapshoot. Newegg shows 3 years as the warranty on the same product number at http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148321 If the retail package says 5 years, I would expect legally they would be required to honor it unless there is some legalese that specs are subject to change without notice. I agree it is a crappy policy not to list the standard warranties on most products. Seagate is good at shooting themselves in the foot in how they deal with $%^ ups though.

The warranty for new consumer internal 3,5" 7200rpm drives (aka barracuda 7200.14) is only one year, not two. Reason why I won't buy any Seagate, while currently I own more than 30 of them. WD greens are two years.

edit : I'm talking about bare drives, for boxed one, I don't know, those don't exist around here, or at twice the price, making them a terrible proposition.

The warranty for new consumer internal 3,5" 7200rpm drives (aka barracuda 7200.14) is only one year, not two. Reason why I won't buy any Seagate, while currently I own more than 30 of them. WD greens are two years.

With the high failure rates I have on my 75+ 7200.10 to 7200.12s I would absolutely not purchase a drive with less than a 3 year warranty from Seagate. That is too much of a gamble.

this is why it's so sickening. When I go to western digital web site, they clearly state their drive is 2 yr. or 5 yr. warranty

seagate requires you to enter the serial no. But i haven't bought their drive yet. I am not going to buy a drive unless I know the warranty. Just like any other products, from motherboard to camera, they clearly states the warranty period prior to purchase

Yeah, well SSD warranties are getting better, HDD warranties are getting worse. I don't expect the HDD manufacturers are going to go back. The flooding gave WD and Seagate the opportunity to get rid of these longer warranties for good.

Yeah, well SSD warranties are getting better, HDD warranties are getting worse. I don't expect the HDD manufacturers are going to go back. The flooding gave WD and Seagate the opportunity to get rid of these longer warranties for good.

The warranty changes have nothing to do with the floods. They have been trending down for a while and have more to do with finances than anything else. A lot of it has to do with how sales are booked and how much they have to keep essentially in escrow to handle future warranty payouts.

I always want to know, how low can seagate goes? Not stating the warranty prior to purchase of anything, even a lousy cable, has to be illegal

and check their PDF spec. file, same thing, no mentioning of how long the warranty is.

Go to a store and look at the box. Long enough? Buy it. If not, don't...bloody simple.

I have not bought a seagate drive in over 3 years, seagate can die.

So i just looked up the 2tb drives I bought from amazon, who said they have a 3 year warranty. Shows it expires in less than 2 years (Jan 2014), and I have had the drives for like 2 weeks. Yup sending those back for sure, glad I found this page. Fuck seagate.

So i just looked up the 2tb drives I bought from amazon, who said they have a 3 year warranty. Shows it expires in less than 2 years (Jan 2014), and I have had the drives for like 2 weeks. Yup sending those back for sure, glad I found this page. Fuck seagate.

If you have a sales receipt you can show them, Seagate, Hitachi and WD will extend the warranty on your drives to whatever the warranty period that was in effect at the time of purchase. Seagate usually takes the manufacture date and adds 45 days or so and that is the date from which the warranty takes effect. Sometimes you can have drives sit on a shelf at a distributor for months (up to 12 that I have seen if they don't do proper stock rotation). All you need to do when requesting warranty service is call customer services and get them the receipt.

If you have a sales receipt you can show them, Seagate, Hitachi and WD will extend the warranty on your drives to whatever the warranty period that was in effect at the time of purchase. Seagate usually takes the manufacture date and adds 45 days or so and that is the date from which the warranty takes effect. Sometimes you can have drives sit on a shelf at a distributor for months (up to 12 that I have seen if they don't do proper stock rotation). All you need to do when requesting warranty service is call customer services and get them the receipt.

Yep.

Instead of ranting & raving get the facts/options straight. :)

Yep.

Instead of ranting & raving get the facts/options straight. :)

Like I'm going to risk having a drive die in that time, and have seagate tell me too bad. At best you have the printout of the product description from when you purchased the drive, but that's not on the reciept. So I would say you are more likely to get screwed in that case. Better safe than sorry, especially with known short life drives.

checked on yesterday at local Costco... seagate external drive is 2 years ... or is just in Costco?
I assume Seagate external drive is 2 years..

Gonna have to check the box. I was looking at a 3TB today and it said 1 year.

Last edited:
the similar( mu guess) seagate external drive at local costco -> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148847

Warranty

Limited Warranty period (parts): 2 years
Limited Warranty period (labor): 2 years

I believe this is the newer model...

the price at local costco is $140. pretty good price comparing with last year price....

It's two years because Newegg has tacked on their extended warranty, for whatever that is worth.

It's two years because Newegg has tacked on their extended warranty, for whatever that is worth.

All Seagate GoFlex drives at Newegg are listed as a 2-year warranty. So buying that drive at the Egg with the extra year warranty would give you three years. GoFlex drives on Staples.com are also listed as 2-year warranties.

Meanwhile the Seagate Expansion externals are listed as having only a 1-year warranty on both Newegg and Staples, interesting.

Meanwhile the Seagate Expansion externals are listed as having only a 1-year warranty on both Newegg and Staples, interesting.
Many external drives are not the exact same counterparts (or refurbs) to the internal drives.

Some are, some aren't and I've even seen some of those "Fantom" brand external drives come from 3rd tier manfgs.

The manfg. took working pieces from bad drives and made a good drive.

That's your bargain external drive that many use for a back-up. LOL!

if the box says 3 yr. warranty, and you have the receipt, keep the drive, seagate is bound by law to honor that 3 yr. warranty.

However, if they are crap quality drive, and say the drive is those cheap 1 that is $110 ea., you ship back to seagate, that will cost you $15. If they crap out again, that another $15. So crap quality drive just ends up paying shipping cost

you ship back to seagate, that will cost you $15. If they crap out again, that another $15. So crap quality drive just ends up paying shipping cost

What is now saving us at work (won't help individual users) is that 1 to 2 years ago the company that handles Segate's returns (Jabil Global Services) shipped our RMA back in a 5 drive box and so since then we ship 3 to 5 drives back each RMA. With current failure rates basically every 60 to 90 days we collect all the bad seagate drives and ship them back in the 1 box. With the UPS labels I print the cost for us is around $10 to $13 to ship from Pittsburgh PA to Mcallen TX.

if the box says 3 yr. warranty, and you have the receipt, keep the drive, seagate is bound by law to honor that 3 yr. warranty.

However, if they are crap quality drive, and say the drive is those cheap 1 that is $110 ea., you ship back to seagate, that will cost you $15. If they crap out again, that another $15. So crap quality drive just ends up paying shipping cost

And if it's a bare drive? Like i said, the only thing saying it has a longer warranty than seagate is the description page. They'll change it later, then say they forgot to update it and guess who gets screwed. I knew I was taking a risk buying a seagate, but it's not worth it to find out afterwords that the warranty is half as long as it should be.

Back