World's Largest Potato Gun

:eek:

If you'll excuse me now, I'm going to steal a couple water mains and construct one in my backyard. ;)

Why is it called a "she" when it looks male and shots stuff out of its......

all i found when i heard that vid was Vivaldi and quickly closed that vid for some uninterrupted bliss

The sound of it firing will be used for Quake 4's railgun. It's also the sound of unadulterated awesomeness.

Well, it appears it passes the FBI penetration test...

While it is indeed awesome, I do have to wonder how much this "test" cost us...

But it sounds like it's really more of a system to test various munitions, rather than something that is being posed as a serious launch platform. It's strange how the end of the barrel (kinda like a muzzle brake) is destroyed by the sabot after firing... Not quite sure that I understand why that's done, unless it's to force the round to seperate from the sabot immediately.

Of course you can't really hide something like this, so that makes it kind of useless unless they bolt it on something like a battleship which isn't meant to be hid.

LOL, at the 2:00 mark it looks like a dildo flying out of the barrel.

It must take a lot of time to refill the tanks, making it not a very viable weapon unless you need 1 shot and only 1 shot.

vera? methinks someone is a firefly fan.

Jayne: Six men came to kill me one time. And the best of 'em carried this. It's a Callahan full-bore auto-lock. Customized trigger, double cartridge thorough gauge. It is my very favorite gun.

Mal: You offering me a trade?

Jayne: A trade? Hell, it's theft. This the best gun made by man. It has extreme sentimental value. It's miles more worthy 'n what you got!

Mal: What I got? She has a name.

Jayne: So does this. I call it Vera.

Mal: Well, my days of not takin' ya seriously are certainly comin' to a middle.

While it is indeed awesome, I do have to wonder how much this "test" cost us...
That's exactly why VERA was built, low cost ballistics testing.
Not quite sure that I understand why that's done, unless it's to force the round to seperate from the sabot immediately.
Exactly. The intent is to strip the sabot from the projectile so it can't interfere with test results.

LOL, at the 2:00 mark it looks like a dildo flying out of the barrel.
Mr MX's 'missile', perhaps?:D

That's pretty damn awesome. I wonder what the muzzle velocity is. :confused:

Transonic is from Mach .8 and 1.1 (roughly 900 and 1,250 feet per second), the speed of the two test shots at 1:51 and 2:26. I'm sure it will go higher (especially with lighter projectiles) but that is the range it was designed for.

whats the theoretical accurate range for a projectile that size from that cannon?

Back