Intel SSD to Boost Windows 8 Boot, Wake Times

Hey Emily Wilson, doesn't matter Windows 8 sucks.

You know what also would boot up fast? Windows 3.1 and that also doesn't have a start button and task bar. Coincidence?

It doesn't matter to me how fast the GUI shows up, I want to know when I can start USING it!
:rolleyes:
What good is a car that starts right up if you have to wait 5 min before you can start driving it?

Even with an SSD, my laptop wouldn't boot Windows 8 nearly that fast.

some of you need to QQ.

the future is coming, and it doesn't matter if you don't like it.

Also, ashaman99 - on a solid-state drive, once the GUI shows up you CAN actually start using stuff. That's one of the benefits of SSDs.

It doesn't matter to me how fast the GUI shows up, I want to know when I can start USING it!
:rolleyes:
What good is a car that starts right up if you have to wait 5 min before you can start driving it?
that's why you should do with your car anyways let the engine warm up a bit before driving esp if you're getting right onto a highway....

Also you can use the consumer preview of windows 8 right now if you want to make snide remarks
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/download

that's why you should do with your car anyways let the engine warm up a bit before driving esp if you're getting right onto a highway....

Also you can use the consumer preview of windows 8 right now if you want to make snide remarks
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/download

I have and it's in a horrible state at the moment. Toggling between Metro and classic desktop feels like I've loaded 2 entirely different operating systems and they both happen to be broken. It's not that I'm averse to change either -- Unity started out really shitty but has slowly grown on me -- but Win8 just feels like I should be using my fingers on a touchpad rather than a mouse & KB. Swipe to log in? Really? No thank you.

I have and it's in a horrible state at the moment. Toggling between Metro and classic desktop feels like I've loaded 2 entirely different operating systems and they both happen to be broken. It's not that I'm averse to change either -- Unity started out really shitty but has slowly grown on me -- but Win8 just feels like I should be using my fingers on a touchpad rather than a mouse & KB. Swipe to log in? Really? No thank you.

I agree. I've played with the Windows 8 previews, and unless something changes, I will be sticking to Windows 7 for as long as possible. Windows 8 pretty much solidified my plans to bring everyone in the office up to Windows 7, and leave them there for the next few years.

I call BULLCRAP.
The Firmware, video, and disk system bios setup\bootup screens take much longer than that.

There was a video of a very powerful enthusiast computer being booted up with win8 and it took about 12 seconds. BULL CRAP. It takes a number of seconds to start to power on the board, then 3-5 to go through the VGA and Firmware boot, then if there is any form of RAID setup, add another 30-60 seconds. Then, if you have any applications installed, add another 30-90 seconds.

There is no desktop system that enthusiast that can fully boot up in 12 seconds or less.

Besides, Win8 looks crap and is no way useful for companies and workers. Did you notice that there is a slideaway screen before login? That the desktop goes back and forth between Win7 and Win8 when running applications? Did you see what Win8 does with installed apps? Throws them all over desktop.

Microsoft obviously does not know how company workers use their desktops. Workers always throw files and folders on desktop.

Win8 will go down as a bigger flop for desktops than Win ME did.

Why the hell would a tablet or ultrabook use a 20GB SSD as a cache when they will come already fitted with a normal say 100+GB SSD?

And yep, Sinovsky seems to be the new Brian Valentine of Windows 8...
The current GUI for desktop machines is unusable and goes against all known ergonomic standards.

Intel needs to hurry up and release the RST that supports TRIM in RAID.

Windows is doing good bad switch. Win98 Good. Winme Bad. WinXP Good. WinVista Bad. Win7 Good. Win8...

I'm waiting for Windows 9!

There was a video of a very powerful enthusiast computer being booted up with win8 and it took about 12 seconds. BULL CRAP. It takes a number of seconds to start to power on the board, then 3-5 to go through the VGA and Firmware boot, then if there is any form of RAID setup, add another 30-60 seconds. Then, if you have any applications installed, add another 30-90 seconds.

With my below specs I boot into Windows 7 in 24 seconds (half of which is power and firmware)... I'm not sure where you're getting the last "30-90 seconds" from, unless your loading HUGE programs on boot from a standard HDD.

People still boot their computers often enough that this is an issue? Shutting down a computer is so last decade.

People still boot their computers often enough that this is an issue? Shutting down a computer is so last decade.

The believe they are categorizing hibernate as "shutting down." I don't think it's a stretch to categorize it as such since power usage is stopped between use. I still use hibernate on my laptop as it often goes unused between classes.

Hey Emily Wilson, doesn't matter Windows 8 sucks.

You know what also would boot up fast? Windows 3.1 and that also doesn't have a start button and task bar. Coincidence?

What the fuck are you talking about? Windows 8 so does have a task bar and Start menu.

So are we supposed to be tied to a start menu and desktop screen forever? It may work for a lot of people but that shouldn't stop companies from trying to innovate user experience. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean that someone else won't? Should we all go back to riding horses because that worked for thousands of years. Just because a company releases an OS and you have the previous version doesn't mean you have to buy it, or bitch/whine/complain when previews of the next one come out!

The believe they are categorizing hibernate as "shutting down." I don't think it's a stretch to categorize it as such since power usage is stopped between use. I still use hibernate on my laptop as it often goes unused between classes.

Thank you for clearing that up.

Why would I pay that much for a Cache drive? Couldn't I just get a cheaper, larger SSD and set it up as one?

What the fuck are you talking about? Windows 8 so does have a task bar and Start menu.

Windows 8 Developer Preview retained the Start Menu. However, in Windows 8 Consumer Preview the Start Menu was removed completely.

Windows 8 Developer Preview retained the Start Menu. However, in Windows 8 Consumer Preview the Start Menu was removed completely.

Metro UI *is* the Start Menu. I'm running Consumer Preview right now and since launch day. You guys need to get over your hang-ups. It's just a start menu. It's not there for you to stare at every time you turn on the computer. Run a program and you're on your desktop. You're in Metro only when you need to fire up another program.

It's just a place to run a program. So what if it takes up the whole screen. The function's the same goddamn thing as the classic start menu.

Why would I pay that much for a Cache drive? Couldn't I just get a cheaper, larger SSD and set it up as one?

You are essentially paying for an SSD + Nvelo Dataplex Software -- not sure where you are going to find a less expensive solution, unless you are using something like a Z68. I'm not sure how the Z68 caching compares to Dataplex. In many cases a larger cache drive isn't going to enhance performance, unless you run a multitude of differing software.

Oh, I suppose you speaking of the Intel 313 series, but my response remains the same. A normal SSD needs software and/or additional hardware to cache. You can't just instantly set one up as a cache.

Metro UI *is* the Start Menu. I'm running Consumer Preview right now and since launch day. You guys need to get over your hang-ups. It's just a start menu. It's not there for you to stare at every time you turn on the computer. Run a program and you're on your desktop. You're in Metro only when you need to fire up another program.

It's just a place to run a program. So what if it takes up the whole screen. The function's the same goddamn thing as the classic start menu.

The functionality is not the same and accessing documents requires additional clicks or side-scrolling, which is odd considering it takes up more space (a screen vs a menu). In Windows 7 I can quickly navigate for any file/program I want very quickly by typing a partial name and clicking enter... this isn't so with the metro interface.

If this issue is addressed and we are given the ability to customize/strip items from the metro interface and given the ability to remove the metro programs which compromise my screen space.

For someone who's dismissing other people opinions of a central UI feature you sound pretty belligerent ;-)

The functionality is not the same and accessing documents requires additional clicks or side-scrolling, which is odd considering it takes up more space (a screen vs a menu). In Windows 7 I can quickly navigate for any file/program I want very quickly by typing a partial name and clicking enter... this isn't so with the metro interface.

If this issue is addressed and we are given the ability to customize/strip items from the metro interface and given the ability to remove the metro programs which compromise my screen space.

For someone who's dismissing other people opinions of a central UI feature you sound pretty belligerent ;-)

I was addressing someone who said the Start Menu and Task bar is no longer in Windows with Windows 8. Are you going to tell me that he is right?

Whether you like the way it looks or feel is your opinion and I respect that. I just find it very irritating when people say things that aren't true about computers out of blind loyalty to something or other. How it works is irrelevant. The fact is the Start menu and task bar still exist.

Yes... semantics make me angry :p When I read his post I understood exactly what he meant... so did you, you're just being critical of the wording ;-) The classic and highly functional start menu is replaced with a less functional huge ass screen and the task bar is buried beneath a metro screen and metro "widget-like" apps... I'm sure most people who read his post understood his EXACT meaning.

Yes... semantics make me angry :p When I read his post I understood exactly what he meant... so did you, you're just being critical of the wording ;-) The classic and highly functional start menu is replaced with a less functional huge ass screen and the task bar is buried beneath a metro screen and metro "widget-like" apps... I'm sure most people who read his post understood his EXACT meaning.

I think you're the one who's being sucked into his semantics. The Desktop is alive and well in Windows 8 and widget-like apps is a choice, not a requirement. You're free not to use them. Windows 8 starts up nearly instantaneously compared to any Windows versions in the past and once Metro UI loads, just hit the desktop "app" and stay there if you like it that much. Pin all of your favorite programs to task bar and use Metro UI for lesser used programs. Windows 8 feels to me just like any other Windows version in this configuration.

Back