Darksiders super choppy on Nvidia hardware?

Domingo

Fully [H]
I’ve hunted around and can’t really find an answer, so I’m curious if anyone else has this issue.
I originally bought Darksiders on the PC back when the Radeon 5870 first came out. It’s not a really demanding game, so it ran like melted butter on my i7/5870 combo. It was bulletproof and silky smooth from beginning to end, and it’s a game I want to replay.
However I sold my 5870 and ended up grabbing a GTX570. Every other game ran fine…but Darksiders is super choppy. Movement is okay, but any time I pan left or right (using a mouse or gamepad) the game becomes a choppy mess. I chalked that up to some kind of Nvidia thing and now it’s doing the same thing on my new 680, too.
Normally adjusting pre-rendered frames tends to fix this, and using a gamepad also tends to eliminate the problem…but not here. Anyone have a secret to making Darksiders run well on Nvidia hardware?
If not…is Darksiders 2 using the same engine? I don’t want to buy the game if it’s going to run like ass on primo hardware.

Enabled vsync? How did you adjust your pre-rendered frames? It should be 0.

Yup, vsync is on. I refuse to play anything without it. It was fine with the 5870, though.
I adjusted the pre-rendered frames in the Nvidia control panel. Usually I set everything to 1 (from the default of 3), but I'll give 0 a try.

Looks like the 680 drivers won't let you select 0 pre-rendered frames...but the result is still the same on the 570 with 0 selected.
Even turning vsync off (which I'd never do in the real world) still has the stutter.
Your character and enemy animation is normal and smooth, but the ground and anything in the background seems to be skipping frames or something.

...and just like that I've found the fix.
"Disable display scaling on high DPI systems"
I must've tried every toggle in the land, but that did it.

Tagging this since I know once I play Darksiders soon I won't remember the fix offhand....

I have this same exact problem as described, I tried enabling "Disable display scaling on high DPI systems" but it didn't help. According to FRAPS it's a constant 60fps but the game is stuttering every few seconds. It's very jarring, it doesn't feel like a performance horsepower thing but more like some kind of glitch.

Last edited:
Back