Pastebin Hiring Staff To Handle Hacker Dumps

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know, it is a damn shame that this guy has to go through all of this, just because people want to act like a bunch of idiots. :(

Pastebin asks its members not to post password lists, source code or personal information. Mr Vader said he currently received on average a total of 1,200 abuse reports a day via Pastebin's on-site notification system and by email. "I am looking to hire some extra people soon to monitor more of the website content, not just the items reported," he told the BBC. "Hopefully this will increase the speed in which we can remove sensitive information."

not to post password lists, source code or personal information
what....

pretty sure it's suppose to be stolen source code as per the sites rules as part of source code is pretty high up their on pastbin's main uses.

Is Pastebin actually used for anything else? Why do hackers using PasteBin make them idiots? Kind of a brash statement, no?

Is Pastebin actually used for anything else? Why do hackers using PasteBin make them idiots?

If you don't get it, there is probably no explaining it....BUT...I'll give it a try.

Someone makes something cool / free for all......for the sake of argument, let's pretend it's a block party down the street with free entertainment, booze and food and it happens every weekened.

Normal people show up, are grateful for the hospitality, have a good time and go home. This way, we can keep having these free block parties every weekend.

Asshats show up, wreck the place, get the cops called repeatedly, cost the homeowner a shit ton of money and then they scurry off like rats leaving a complete an utter mess. Rinse, repeat until the party is shut down for everyone.....because COOL / FREE just wasn't good enough for them.

Now, the normal people are hosed and have no more block party...thanks to group number two.

Hell, I thought I was being nice when I called them "idiots."

If you don't get it, there is probably no explaining it....BUT...I'll give it a try.

Someone makes something cool / free for all......for the sake of argument, let's pretend it's a block party down the street with free entertainment, booze and food and it happens every weekened.

Normal people show up, are grateful for the hospitality, have a good time and go home. This way, we can keep having these free block parties every weekend.

Asshats show up, wreck the place, get the cops called repeatedly, cost the homeowner a shit ton of money and then they scurry off like rats leaving a complete an utter mess. Rinse, repeat until the party is shut down for everyone.....because COOL / FREE just wasn't good enough for them.

Now, the normal people are hosed and have no more block party...thanks to group number two.

That's not exactly the case in this scenario though. What legitimate purpose does PasteBin really serve? IMO your analogy is pretty good but you left out the part where the block party is being thrown by meth dealers and the free entertainment and booze are being paid for with drug money.

That's not exactly the case in this scenario though. What legitimate purpose does PasteBin really serve? IMO your analogy is pretty good but you left out the part where the block party is being thrown by meth dealers and the free entertainment and booze are being paid for with drug money.
I've personally only seen it used for legitimate purposes. Open source software code snippets and crash dumps that are too big to paste on a forum.

Steve, unfortunately you wasted your breath here. Another glaring example of today's generation feeling they are entitled to take something that is cool/free with a specific, stated purpose and use it for whatever purpose they like regardless of how offensive or nefarious it is. These are the same kids that get mad when software developers threaten to ban user accounts for using hacked versions of a free beta when it clearly violates the TOS agreement they agreed to when they installed the software.

Back