AOL Launches Mandatory Web Site for Men

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
What’s up with AOL and their new Mandatory web site? This is a giant departure from the AOL of old catering to the family environment and now launching a men’s site. Maybe they should try a little harder to sell those patents and get out of the sex site business.

It's not just a sex site. I just saw a list of 'the most horrific prisons' on that site last night. Didn't know it was owned/created by AOL, I thought they were strictly into HuffPo and email these days.

Why are we complaining about a website that contains photos of chicks?

Just browsed the site:
1. Its a bit rough around the edges coding wise, but loaded fast + -
2. It scales to your browser window HOLY CRAP SOMEONE FIGURED OUT THAT USERS AREN'T USING 1024x768 ANYMORE! ++
3. There are in fact lots of pictures of hot women ++

The problem with sites like this is that they begin with something (relatively) good, but after about 6 months they do an "upgrade" and suddenly the page format is changed, and consequently, all sorts of annoyances appear. Advertisements, "you must be logged in to view" notices, pop-ups, "special offers", you know what I'm talking about.

So I guess i'll enjoy the site for now, but don't expect it to be on my favorites in the long term.

Just browsed the site:
1. Its a bit rough around the edges coding wise, but loaded fast + -
2. It scales to your browser window HOLY CRAP SOMEONE FIGURED OUT THAT USERS AREN'T USING 1024x768 ANYMORE! ++
3. There are in fact lots of pictures of hot women ++

The problem with sites like this is that they begin with something (relatively) good, but after about 6 months they do an "upgrade" and suddenly the page format is changed, and consequently, all sorts of annoyances appear. Advertisements, "you must be logged in to view" notices, pop-ups, "special offers", you know what I'm talking about.

So I guess i'll enjoy the site for now, but don't expect it to be on my favorites in the long term.
Agreed, particularly with #2.

Content-wise it's not bad. The writing is decent, and only a little of it seems overly shilly. The images are high res and the site looks really nice, and is dynamic, finally getting away from the columns of standard HuffPost sites.

The biggest Issue I saw was that the VASt majority of the "stories" are something along the lines of "X things that [insert mildly interesting activity/statement/label/etc", followed by a bunch of not so good pictures and a 2 sentence description.
So, there is content, but very shallow.

Back