Chrome 18 Released to Stable Channel

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Pretty soon Google Chrome is going to run low on numbers for all of its versions. It seems like every time you turn around, there is a new version that has just been released. The newest is officially v. 18.0.1025.142, but don’t attempt to memorize it because it will change within the next few days. :D

While the specific exploits used against Chrome in this year's Pwnium competition had been fixed shortly after they were discovered, the new patches are the first of Google's efforts to harden the browser against similar exploits in the future

I installed it yesterday. Check out chrome://gpu/

Graphics Feature Status
Canvas: Hardware accelerated
HTML Rendering: Hardware accelerated
3D CSS: Hardware accelerated
WebGL: Hardware accelerated
WebGL multisampling: Hardware accelerated

Finally enabled by default! :p

Still freezes for like 20 seconds when I hit "Print". :(

Not sure which version introduced that but it's really annoying.

All these versions, yet they still haven't addressed a few fundamental flaws:

- Browser based "clear-type" controls like IE/FF has. If you turn off cleartype and access a website, it's often horrendous/under-readable.

- Certain school systems stopped loading in the Chrome around version 11 or 12. I send a bug report a few weeks to keep it current. I can't use chrome for my university stuff because of it.

All these versions, yet they still haven't addressed a few fundamental flaws:

- Browser based "clear-type" controls like IE/FF has. If you turn off cleartype and access a website, it's often horrendous/under-readable.

- Certain school systems stopped loading in the Chrome around version 11 or 12. I send a bug report a few weeks to keep it current. I can't use chrome for my university stuff because of it.

Err, I'm tired. That's unreadable and "lack of" browser based controls. I have an old laptop that I keep everything that's not necessary turned off (including cleartype). Chrome is borderline useless on it. IE or FF allow the browser to use it regardless if the OS has it turned off.

Err, I'm tired. That's unreadable and "lack of" browser based controls. I have an old laptop that I keep everything that's not necessary turned off (including cleartype). Chrome is borderline useless on it. IE or FF allow the browser to use it regardless if the OS has it turned off.

Suggestion: quit bitching and just use IE or FF like you need, problem solved. :rolleyes:

Because it's not the university's fault that their web pages aren't up to standards and are coded like shit. Nooo, that's totally Google's fault. :rolleyes:

most likely the printer driver is stalling (network printer ?)

Definitely sounds like either a faulty driver or lots of data needing to be sent over a network, which would definitely cause a temporary "freeze" or data processing.

Trying out Chrome again after a long break, liking it so far. Only thing I've noticed missing is being able to ctrl+click entries in the address bar list to open them in a new tab (works with middle-mouse button). I shall hunt for a way to enable this :)

Uh, so don't turn off cleartype? Why would you turn that off anyway?

I just may make the switch if Mozilla doesn't get it's shit together.

Mozilla's fast & furious release schedule has resulted in a buggy product that has caused me more issues in the last year than all issues before they went to F&F releases.

Sometimes it simply won't launch (yes, it's clear in the task manager) unless you reboot.

I believe Firefox is the only reason I've had to reboot in months.

I just may make the switch if Mozilla doesn't get it's shit together.

Mozilla's fast & furious release schedule has resulted in a buggy product that has caused me more issues in the last year than all issues before they went to F&F releases.

Sometimes it simply won't launch (yes, it's clear in the task manager) unless you reboot.

I believe Firefox is the only reason I've had to reboot in months.

I already made the jump and haven't looked back. NoScript is what kept me on Firefox for so long. With the introduction of ScriptNo (a wonderful clone of NoScript which is actually useful unlike NotScripts) for Chrome I have moved onto Chrome and nothing but Chrome.

I like Chrome's ability to sync all of your extensions/bookmarks/passwords/settings when you login. So if you do a reformat/install on your computer, you don't have to back up that stuff, or download a separate 3rd party application to do that for you.

I like Chrome's ability to sync all of your extensions/bookmarks/passwords/settings when you login. So if you do a reformat/install on your computer, you don't have to back up that stuff, or download a separate 3rd party application to do that for you.

Same..

Still freezes for like 20 seconds when I hit "Print". :(

Not sure which version introduced that but it's really annoying.

Sounds similar to the print issue with HTML emails in Office Outlook 2010. Some newsletter fetch update information online when printing, resulting in delayed print preview and grayed out print button for a couple minutes. A pain in the ass.

Newsletter and ticket confirmation from Southwest Airline is the biggest culprit of mine with Office Outlook 2010. Oddly enough, if you right-click the email header and select "open with browser", it prints fast from the browser.

Anyways - could be the same issue with Chrome. Perhaps trying to update cached data with refreshed data before printing?

Back