Is this the normal access speed for a 2TB Black?

vroom_skies

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey all,
This doesn't seem right to me, so I'm looking for feedback.
I would have expected the drive to spin up much faster then that, however I might just be used to SSD & 10K drives.
This drive is used as my internal data disk that I want quick access to. I'd rather not have to wait that long to have access. If this is the case I would have just stuck with the 2TB F4.

Here is a quick video showing what I'm talking about:

Thanks

That links to a photo, not a video. In my experience you can expect a 7200 rpm drive to take around 10 seconds to become ready from a cold start. How long is it taking?

This drive is used as my internal data disk that I want quick access to. I'd rather not have to wait that long to have access.

Disable OS spindown of your disks. Or make the spindown several hours. Or just buy a SSD.

That links to a photo, not a video. In my experience you can expect a 7200 rpm drive to take around 10 seconds to become ready from a cold start. How long is it taking?
It should link to a video, works for me and others. Seems the spin up time ranges from 15- 20 plus second.

Disable OS spindown of your disks. Or make the spindown several hours. Or just buy a SSD.
Thanks, I didn't even know you could do that. I'll have to look into it. I have an SSD for my boot drive. I don't exactly have the spare funds to get 2TB worth of SSD storage.

Thanks

It should link to a video, works for me and others. Seems the spin up time ranges from 15- 20 plus second.

That is a reasonable spin up time for a 7200 RPM drive.

Edit: 15 to 20 seconds is reasonable. Longer than that may be a sign of a failing drive. Check if the drive thinks this is a problem with CrystalDiskInfo or some other program that checks the SMART data.

Last edited:
That is a reasonable spin up time for a 7200 RPM drive.

Edit: 15 to 20 seconds is reasonable. Longer than that may be a sign of a failing drive. Check if the drive thinks this is a problem with CrystalDiskInfo or some other program that checks the SMART data.
Alright, I'll check into it. Thanks for the help.
The one thing that I don't understand is that the drive doesn't seem to start spinning up until a good 8 or so seconds after I launch a file.

Do you happen to have a 2TB Black? I for one feel it is quite slow.

On what seems to be an average the 2TB F4 takes 10-15 seconds to spin up when the 2TB Black takes 15-20 seconds. I would have thought a tad bit differently, however it is 5400 vs 7200 rpm. Is my thinking correct in that the 2TB Black is the fastest 2TB HDD?

Thanks

Here is what CDI is reporting:
HDDSmart.jpg

Is my thinking correct in that the 2TB Black is the fastest 2TB HDD?

It used to be the fastest 7200 RPM drive but it is built with 2010 densities (500GB / platter) so drives from Seagate and Hitachi are faster now. Especially the drives with 1TB platters.

Thanks for the info.
The drive doesn't appear to be faster when horizontal. Either way it will be mounted vertical in my case.

No, that was really slow imo.
I have WD Blue PATA drives that start in about 4-5 seconds.
10 seconds to start up a WD Black SATA drive doesn't sound right.

It takes WD Green drives about 7-8 seconds to start, so for a 7200RPM drive, that is definitely abnormal.

WD Blacks are rather old technology at this point. Samsung F4's and Hitachi 7K.1000's are better I believe.

Correct, WD's quality and technology edge has fallen and dulled over time.
Their current drives are about on par with late 2010 HDD tech.

Samsung and Hitachi are much better at this point imo.
Also, lots of WD Green and Black drives have been having high failure rates at this point.

The only WD drives I trust at this point are their RE4 nearline-class drives and Blue desktop-class drives.

If that's the case, is what I'm experiencing accurate? It's slower then my 2TB F4.

Access time isn't the same as spinup time. Access time refers to how long it takes an already spinning drive to access a particular sector by moving the head to the correct track and waiting for the platter to spin around to the correct position.

7200 rpm drives will tend to take longer to spin up than 5400 rpm drives as they have to accelerate the platters to a higher speed before they can start to read from them.

7200 rpm drives will tend to take longer to spin up than 5400 rpm drives as they have to accelerate the platters to a higher speed before they can start to read from them.
From what I've seen, it's the opposite.
7200RPM drives have always spun up faster than 5400RPM drives, at least with the WD drives I've worked with in the last 3 years.

Definitely make sure the spin down is turned off. It's debatable, but I do believe it also puts extra wear and tear for nothing, just keep it spinning.

I have 6 1TB blacks in raid 1 and if I open a movie off it via SMB it's instant play once VLC loads (which is a few seconds)

Back