5 monitor surround, how?

yurdun

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if it's possible to do 5 monitor surround in portrait on the new 680's currently I have a 7970 DCUII that has 5 outputs and that is how I'm able to run eyefinity over 5 monitors, but with 680's I have no idea what they can do since I've never had Nvidia products and was thinking about switching... Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks!

I read your post but I would like to do 5 monitors in surround being used at the same time. Also I would go with SLI. So how do I do 5 monitor surround using (2) 680's in SLI? All the monitors are HDMI, So I assume I can just use a dvi to hdmi adapter. But can I connect 3 monitors to 1 card and 2 to the other? I've read that using SLI you can use all the outputs on the cards. And would this allow me to play games over all 5 monitors as eyefinity does with amd cards?

You can only do 4 monitors on a single 680, however 2 680's would easily handle them. There is an SLI section specifically for 3+ monitors.

Surround itself is limited to 3 displays.

Mulitmonitor is a different scenario. Surround/Eyefinity specifically are for spanning fullscreen gaming across multiple displays.

The GTX 680 can do Surround on 1 card. If you use displays it would be a 3+1 situation, the fourth would not be used for gaming with Surround.

I read your post but I would like to do 5 monitors in surround being used at the same time. Also I would go with SLI. So how do I do 5 monitor surround using (2) 680's in SLI? All the monitors are HDMI, So I assume I can just use a dvi to hdmi adapter. But can I connect 3 monitors to 1 card and 2 to the other? I've read that using SLI you can use all the outputs on the cards. And would this allow me to play games over all 5 monitors as eyefinity does with amd cards?

As others here have said (and I stated in the other post) for true "surround" - meaning multiple displays grouped as a single for gaming - you're limited to three displays. You get one additional display output simultaneously when you're running surround.

On other other hand, if you want to display to five displays that are discrete, that's no issue, but you won't be in SLI mode, you'd basically have one video card driving all of the displays you have plugged into it.

Back