Razer naga doesn't respond well to Black surfaces?

Hitmanthe3rd

Limp Gawd
The odd part is this happened over time. Basically I had a really nice Black gaming mouse pad (Can't remember the manufacture) and it worked great for about 9 months and then my mouse pointer started hitting invisible walls. I tried my mouse on several other computers and it worked fine so i thought, duh drivers. Reinstalled all the drivers several times including the software and it did not fix the issue. So I took my Naga and cleaned the hell out of it and cleaned the laser with alcohol, tried it at work for about 3 hours with no issues. Took it back home onto my mouse pad and MY computer and I got the issue all over again. So my next step was to Format and reload, but instead I tried my fathers Duke Nukem forever mouse pad he recieved with the 560TI Duke Nukem edition. I used this for four days with absolutely no issues. So I thought maybe my old mouse pad was worn down, went out and bout the SteelSeries 4k PRO and again, similar issue to the old mouse pad, but this time not nearly as bad. So I did some googling and it appears my mouse, over time, does not respond well to black surfaces. Anybody else have this issue and find anyway to resolve it? Or should I count my losses and go back to the Duke Nukem one?

It's a common misconception that the colour of your mouse mat is the only thing which affects the performance of your laser. People forget that just because that's what they see, what the laser 'sees' might not necessarily be the same thing - in much the same way that you get those scenes on nature shows where they try and show you what a bee sees when he's looking at flowers).

The twin eye sensor in the Naga operates in the infra red spectrum and works better with surfaces that are bright and reflective in the band of light in which it operates. To clarify what this means in terms of your problem, because of the different coatings which can be applied to surfaces and the different inks/dyes/materials used, it's possible to have a mat which is black but 'bright' as far as the laser is concerned. Equally it's possible to have a mat which is white but 'dim' as far as the laser is concerned, which would result in bad tracking. With the amount of people who report tracking problems with twin eye lasers on surfaces such as the Razer Exactmat, it would be reasonable to assume that these mats aren't 'bright' in the IR spectrum. In your case, a degradation in performance could be because, with use, your mat has lost its shine in the IR spectrum. Your new Steelseries mat is better but obviously not enough.

I can't recommend any particular surfaces because I'm part of Mad Catz and that would go against forum rules, but I'm sure there are others on here with the same mouse that could recommend an alternative.

It's a common misconception that the colour of your mouse mat is the only thing which affects the performance of your laser. People forget that just because that's what they see, what the laser 'sees' might not necessarily be the same thing - in much the same way that you get those scenes on nature shows where they try and show you what a bee sees when he's looking at flowers).

The twin eye sensor in the Naga operates in the infra red spectrum and works better with surfaces that are bright and reflective in the band of light in which it operates. To clarify what this means in terms of your problem, because of the different coatings which can be applied to surfaces and the different inks/dyes/materials used, it's possible to have a mat which is black but 'bright' as far as the laser is concerned. Equally it's possible to have a mat which is white but 'dim' as far as the laser is concerned, which would result in bad tracking. With the amount of people who report tracking problems with twin eye lasers on surfaces such as the Razer Exactmat, it would be reasonable to assume that these mats aren't 'bright' in the IR spectrum. In your case, a degradation in performance could be because, with use, your mat has lost its shine in the IR spectrum. Your new Steelseries mat is better but obviously not enough.

I can't recommend any particular surfaces because I'm part of Mad Catz and that would go against forum rules, but I'm sure there are others on here with the same mouse that could recommend an alternative.

Well as a Mad Catz man you should be happy that I am going to be picking up an MMO7! :D Thank you for your comment, I appreciate it, this is alot of important information and I am glad you shared it.

Does any of you know on what black surface the MMO7 tracks well? I just bought the Steelseries S&S for 15euros and its tracking is horrible... I prefer hard plastic but the MMO7 doesnt like that apparantly.

I'm having identical issues, I can't find a surface that doesn't result in poor tracking... I've already purchased 3 different mousepads... Steel Series 4D, Nova Killer 2 (Black), and the QCK+ from Steel Series.

I've also used 3 cloth based pads and they all produce minute amounts of particles that destroy the tracking as well.

Is there a *hard* surface that will work? I've had nothing but nightmares with this mouse (MMO 7) My 5 dollar work mouse has far less tracking issues and didn't cost 100+ dollars.

I like my Razer Scarab (hard) pad over my QcK Mass (soft) pad. I was having tracking issues with both of my G700's in game (I currently only play MW3/BF3) so I bought the Razer Scarab as it's not a black pad (thought the black pad was the issue at first). Anyway, the problem really ended up being I had the polling rate maxed out thus making the mouse way to something (lol) and it was messing up the mouse sporadically ruining my gaming experience. I lowered it back down to 250-333 and it went away. Last thing, I still ended up liking the Razer Scarab a lot more even with the issue fixed. It improved my aim a bit too. My mouse glides like it's on hot butter/ice but with accuracy included, once you get used to it, that is. I even seen someone on youtube review all the hard Razer pads and he liked the Razer Scarab over the more expensive Razer Ironclad (shrugs).

just my $.02, not saying it will help, just thought I'd mention it.

Disclaimer: results may very. I also read the Razer Scarab has durability issues (actually that all hard Razer pads do). I just like it while it's still functioning properly.

My ratpadz does not play nice with my mmo7.

Thanks for the info on the steelseries. I was thinking of picking up an SX if I could find one, but now I may go with the C4Ngen. Anyone have experience with these?

As part of an answer on this I received the Mionix Naos 5000 gaming mouse that has a unique feature, it can measure mouse surfaces and rate the quality by measuring data loss through the sensor. I have a slew of mouse pads and in the review for two of Mionix's pads I checked out a dozen other mouse pads as well as a couple general surfaces and found the best mouse pads were not always the most expensive or even a mouse pad.

I charted the performance and you can find my results here.

Back