Class Action Suits Across The Country Against Google

HardOCP News

[H] News
Well geez, it all sounds pretty evil when you say it like this:

"By commingling data (including searches, locations, and email contacts), and tying it to a specific Gmail account or Google+ account (and therefore a specific consumer), the consumer's personal information is no longer tied to the account; it is tied to an overarching profile in that person's name, that is regularly appended through use of or interaction with Google products. That person no longer remains anonymous where he or she intended to remain anonymous. The various portions of each person's life are no longer separate and given the expectation of privacy associated with each of them; they are no longer pieces to an impossible puzzle; they are pieces that can be, and as of March 1, 2012 have been, linked to create a clear picture of that consumer.

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

Paranoia strikes deep
Into your life it will creep
It starts when you're always afraid
You step out of line, the man come and take you away

Nice.

And yes, don't like it? Don't use it.
It's pretty shit simple.

It would be interesting if Google might offer a paid, ad free version of itself for people who do not want to be tracked/targeted with ads but still want to use their services. I wonder how much it would have to cost to make it worth it for Google. $50 a year like an apps account?

It would be interesting if Google might offer a paid, ad free version of itself for people who do not want to be tracked/targeted with ads but still want to use their services. I wonder how much it would have to cost to make it worth it for Google. $50 a year like an apps account?

Except there's plenty other services which don't track you and are still free.

Not if you actively block google. It's easy to do using the HOSTS file.

Plenty of browser add-ons/extensions that block all active tracking from Google & other sites. Even though I have a Google Apps account, they don't have a complete history on me due to what I've blocked.

Plenty of browser add-ons/extensions that block all active tracking from Google & other sites. Even though I have a Google Apps account, they don't have a complete history on me due to what I've blocked.

Yes, but the HOSTS file is system wide so is easier to setup than each separate browser (I use 4 different browsers). I see Avast has url blocking built in too. I still prefer to use the HOSTS file though.

While it seems rather silly now, I can see this turning into a big issue years down the road. If Google, maliciously or not, starts collecting users data and associating it to a real person, who's to say that the data will never get compromised by less ethical people, companies, etc?

It seems like a great target for people into social engineering and the like. I can only assume that it would be rather easy to find out alot about someone based upon their internet usage.

Precisely. I know I don't.

x2

I completely agree. Or at the very least, don't keep all your proverbial eggs in one basket

Or... you could just stop using Google if you don't like their services. This is ridiculous, they have no obligation to keep their data separate and I assume most people thought that they shared data beforehand and are just making a big deal because Google decided to tell us. You can even tell google to not save your searches etc. Waste of time and money this is.

I'm pretty sure Google allows you to opt out or even delete your all of your data.

Not me, though. I'm running their Screenwise plug-in.

Don'y like it? Don't use it.

But that's hard. It requires making a difficult choice. Wouldn't it just be easier to file a lawsuit and claim that Google must operate according to your wishes? :eek:

I know that average people hate change, but stuff like this just makes me lose faith in humanity. Use Ixquick. Try DuckDuckGo. Hell, you can even use Bing if you're so inclined. And you know what? THEY WORK WELL a lot of the time.

But that's hard. It requires making a difficult choice.
Seriously. These people suing google are like the parents who get outraged about companies who don't censor their kid's games and movies and won't do the hard thing and be a parent.

They're just plain lazy. There's Yahoo, Bing, Lycos, Altavista, Ask, Baidu, etc, but they just don't want to use them.

If they really have a problem with someone collecting their data and spying on them, why don't they quit ignoring the elephant in the room and bring suit against the NSA, FBI, CIA, DHS?

While it seems rather silly now, I can see this turning into a big issue years down the road. If Google, maliciously or not, starts collecting users data and associating it to a real person, who's to say that the data will never get compromised by less ethical people, companies, etc?

It seems like a great target for people into social engineering and the like. I can only assume that it would be rather easy to find out alot about someone based upon their internet usage.

When Google gets into the Background Check service then you can start being afraid :D

I don't see the big deal. That is the future of the internet. I wish people would get it through their heads, there is no privacy on the internet. You don't want people to find stuff out about you, stay off the internet.

I don't see the big deal. That is the future of the internet. I wish people would get it through their heads, there is no privacy on the internet. You don't want people to find stuff out about you, stay off the internet.

Well the thing is that even staying off the internet doesnt even keep your info off it, companies sell every bit of data they have to everyone else.

Indeed privacy is a thing of the past now...

Ask any teenager, their concept of privacy

Back