Windows 8 Release Candidate in Late May-Early June?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The Windows 8 Consumer Preview version has been out for almost a month now but Microsoft is still busy working on the OS in preparation for its next phase, the Release Candidate version. Now a new report claims that it has a time table on when the RC version will be offered to the public. According to WinUnleaked.tk, via unnamed sources, the Release Candidate version of Windows 8 will be launched by Microsoft sometime in late May or early June.

Win 3.11 YEAH
Win 95 NOOO
Win 98 YEAH
Win ME NOOO
Win XP YEAH
Win Vista NOOO
Win 7 YEAH
Win 8 .....

I guess many/most [H]'ers will stick with win7.

(win 2k hell yeah :p)

Win 3.11 YEAH
Win 95 NOOO
Win 98 YEAH
Win ME NOOO
Win XP YEAH
Win Vista NOOO
Win 7 YEAH
Win 8 .....

Except I wouldn't consider Windows XP "good". Hindsight is 20/20, that OS was an unpatched mess between 2001-2004 to the point they had to stop working on their next OS to come out with XP SP2. And people were complaining about the fisher price colors in just the same way they now complain about Metro.

Except I wouldn't consider Windows XP "good". Hindsight is 20/20, that OS was an unpatched mess between 2001-2004 to the point they had to stop working on their next OS to come out with XP SP2. And people were complaining about the fisher price colors in just the same way they now complain about Metro.

Well, XP SP2 atleast, I didnt mention Win 3.0 either :p
And I still use the Classic theme, I didnt like those "fisher price" colors as you call them either.

I'm prolly gonna cry if the day the classic theme is gone comes. :(

95 was a major advancement and instantly superior to 3.1 IMO.

Between that and 2k its not quite a perfect good/bad release cycle.

I'm still praying that the last two previews we have gotten were for Windows 8 Tablet Edition, and there is a Windows 8 Desktop Edition on the way with no Metro nonsense.

Windows XP is still going strong. I doubt you'll see Windows 8 last even 1 year. If you don't think it was the single greatest OS ever built by Microsoft, then you've been hiding under a rock for the past 10 years.

Windows XP can be changed to look like Windows 98, without the need of 3rd party applications. Disabling the Metro UI doesn't give you Windows 7 UI.

windows 8 works exactly like w7 if u can get past the metro ui :p

Boots faster, and does a few things better.
Not alot of sense to upgrade from w7 , but from xp yes.

Major problem for older system going vista would be slower.
IE metro ui looks great ...too bad, too bad i never use it :p

Windows 8 hardly = the fail that vista was.

3 step to shut down is really annoying but like the metro UI you just get used to it.

Windows XP is still going strong. I doubt you'll see Windows 8 last even 1 year. If you don't think it was the single greatest OS ever built by Microsoft, then you've been hiding under a rock for the past 10 years.

:rolleyes:

Win7 is a far better OS than XP ever was. Win8 will be around a lot fucking longer than one year. :rolleyes:

Turn off Metro UI and problem solved?
You can't. You could in the Developer Preview, but Microsoft removed the option from the Consumer Preview. Microsoft are intent on forcing Metro on users to try and get people using the app store, so there's not going to be an option to disable it.

3 step to shut down is really annoying but like the metro UI you just get used to it.
Why would you want to get used to something that reduces your productivity and causes you irritation? Why would you pay money for such a product? If your looking at cars you don't say "I'll buy this $30K car even though I know it's crap because I can just get used to it". A new product is supposed to improve your experience, not make it worse.

Windows 8 is far worse than Vista ever was. Vista was slow and inefficient while 8 is a productivity and usability disaster.

Win7 is a far better OS than XP ever was. Win8 will be around a lot fucking longer than one year. :rolleyes:

Cause just anyone can take Vista and relabel it as Windows 7, and fix everything wrong with it. Where as XP took an awesome OS like Windows 2000 and made it better.

You can't. You could in the Developer Preview, but Microsoft removed the option from the Consumer Preview. Microsoft are intent on forcing Metro on users to try and get people using the app store, so there's not going to be an option to disable it.

Edit registry and problem solved.

Windows 8 is far worse than Vista ever was. Vista was slow and inefficient while 8 is a productivity and usability disaster.

based off the Developer Preview?

based off the Developer Preview?

Double post please delete original post :(

How will you ever survive, when it takes 1 extra click to shut down! All the other improvements be dammed, because 2 click shutdown is much more important.

And people were complaining about the fisher price colors in just the same way they now complain about Metro.

Bullshit, Metro is a cluster fuck to use and it is not just about the "colors". Let me guess, you work for Microsoft.

How will you ever survive, when it takes 1 extra click to shut down! All the other improvements be dammed, because 2 click shutdown is much more important.

Bet none of them encrypt their drives as they would need to enter a password before booting, one password too many!

I'll skip this one.

IF I had the money, I'd rather spend it on a 2TB hard disk. :D
Its not cheap buying a retail version of these Windows OS, I'm not going to upgrade unless I NEED to.

Win 3.11 YEAH
Win 95 NOOO
Win 98 YEAH
Win ME NOOO
Win XP YEAH
Win Vista NOOO
Win 7 YEAH
Win 8 .....

Clearly, someone here wasn't around when 95 hit the market. :rolleyes:

Windows 8 might be ok... If they damned well listen to the onslaught of negative that came from the comsumer and developer previews. Whats the point of asking other people if you are convinced only your opinion matters? Self assurance that your right? :p

I'm prolly gonna cry if the day the classic theme is gone comes. :(

Guessing you're going to feel really tearful the day this gets released... Unless you just pretend it's not a "desktop" OS! Damned tablet port! :D

Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope.

W7 is fine as it is. Does W8 have really anything I need as an "upgrade"? Nope.

win8 will be an interesting experiment. if the windows phone fails, their gamble with the metro ui on win8 will backfire. they can hardly go back. after all they didn't with office and the ribbons. i predict that in two years linux will be the dominant player on the OS market. this time for real.

Funny thing is I have never upgraded my OS due to fancy changes in the UI.

UI changes really don't matter to me (till now) due to the UI not really changing that much IMO since 95. It's been gradual and manageable.

The reason I upgrade to a new OS are improvements in performance, memory management, CPU compatibility, native support for new standards such as AHCI etc. file management etc. etc.

I've never thought, "oh that looks pretty, I must have that!" or "Oh that would look so cool on a piece of equipment I don't actually own, I'll buy it!"

The RPEnabled registry setting that worked in the Developer Preview no longer works in the Consumer Preview. I'm left wondering if you've even tried the Consumer Preview or if you've just decided to post nonsense without checking your facts.

If Metro could be turned off nobody would be complaining. The problem is that there's now no way to disable it, and all three methods that worked in the Developer Preview have been removed for the Consumer Preview. Microsoft are doing their level best to make sure Metro is totally unavoidable because they want to sell you Metro apps through their store (and take 30% of the sale price).

reimagining SAFE MODE

Speaking of computer disasters, if you want to reboot your system into Safe Mode, you can’t just jam on the F8 key prior to Windows 8 loading: You have to first enable Safe Mode itself. Type “cmd” on your Metro UI, right-click on the Command Prompt app (called “cmd”), and select to run it as an administrator. Then type “bcdedit /enum /v” on the command prompt screen and hit Enter. Copy the entire “identifier” string (including the braces) for the entry that has “Windows 8 Consumer Preview” as the description, not “Windows Boot manager.” Then, type the following into the command prompt: bcdedit /copy youridentifierstring /d “Windows Developer Preview (Safe Mode)” and hit Enter. After that, type in “msconfig” and hit enter.

Click on the “Boot” tab and select the entry called “Windows Developer Preview (Safe Mode).” Click on the “Safe Boot” option, the “Make All Boot Settings Permanent” option, click OK, and click “Yes.” Restart your system, and you’ll be given the option to launch either your normal Windows 8 environment or your new Safe Mode environment.

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/big_guide_20_tips_and_tricks_get_most_out_windows_8431

waiting to see if MS does a back-peddle on the 'metro UI'.
if they do listen and make 'metro' an option that can be disabled (for RTM), shows they're listening.
if not, fuck 'em. i'll wait till they pull their heads out of their collective arses before throwing any money at win 8.

for those metro lovers, yes i've tried the consumer preview version on a VM with my desktop PC for a few hours.

verdict: win 8 probably decent for your mobile devices (minus laptops) but not worth the price of admission for your desktop crowd (different story if able to disable 'metro' of course).

Well then you have to ask yourself, "What is left that is worth the price of the upgrade?".

Not necessarily worth the upgrade, but if you're going to buy a new system, there's really nothing to keep you from choosing Win8 over Win7.

I've been trying out Win8, and it's essentially still Win7. If you look at your desktop now, that's pretty much what Win8 is. The desktop environment that you're used to for work productivity is exactly the same. The taskbar, the control panel, the windows shortcuts, context sensitive middle clicks. It's all there and completely intact.

They did remove the start button, but i'm not missing it. My Win7 start menu is a mess. If i open it up now there's over a dozen folders i need to expand and the dozens (if not hundreds) of shortcuts i need to browse through to get at what i need. Inside one of the folders are 20 links, but i only ever use two (The rest are update shortcuts, config shortcuts, etc. that i never use) the Win8 'start menu' lets open a complete list of all your shortcuts, and 'pin' the ones you'll actually use. Only the ones that are relevant to you will display when you press the windows key.

I'm a web developer so i'm pretty heavy on the multitasking, and there's nothing on Win8 that's detrimental to my workflow. I can set it up pretty much the same as my Win7 workdesk.

There's not much on it that will benefit you (aside from being able to install tablet apps) if you're on a desktop, but there's nothing on it that will hurt your productivity. Being able to easily customize your start menu is actually a plus in my case. Much like how Win7's taskbar is superior to the WinXP one.

I haven't actually paid much attention to Win8 reviews until recently. I only even tried Win8 after a chat with heatlesssun. After trying it out, i figured out quite a bit on how to navigate it (The video demos were no help since i'm installing on an Atom rig, not a tablet) by treating it like a Win7 taskbar and the only thing i needed to look up was how to find the shutdown button. Other than that, i found the Control Panel rather quickly and set it up pretty much the same way i did on Win7.

I've been reading comments and the common misconception is that the metro UI is the desktop replacement. It's not. The desktop is still your primary work environment. If you launch an application, it's not gonna use the Metro, it'll open in a normal window on a normal desktop. Metro is the new Start Menu, it is NOT the desktop! After getting past this, there's really nothing else they're ranting about out there.

BTW, lower left corner = start menu, lower right corner = minimize everything, upper right corner = close current application. That's how the Win7 desktop works. It's the same thing on Win8. Except the previously unused upper left corner is now the mouse equivalent of CTRL-ALT-TAB.

If Metro is the only interface available, I'll have no need for it other than as a weird curiosity.

Win 3.11 YEAH
Win 95 NOOO
Win 98 YEAH
Win ME NOOO
Win XP YEAH
Win Vista NOOO
Win 7 YEAH
Win 8 .....

Windows XP certainly had it's share of issues (security being the primary), but it IS the OS that finally got us away from the Windows 95 architecture and onto the NT architecture, with full support for drivers, gaming, etc... Windows 2000 was overlooked by most software developers for the home.

Windows 7 finally got us off 32 bit and made 64-bit a household name, with considerable driver and gaming support, as well as home user software.

Windows XP and Windows 7 were great releases in those regards.

So far, I see absolutely nothing in Windows 8 to make it a great release. I see it becoming more notorious than useful, much like Vista was.

You must not have used the CP that was released. There is no way to turn it off. The code for the Start Menu was actually removed from the release.

windows 8 works exactly like w7 if u can get past the metro ui :p

Boots faster, and does a few things better.
Not alot of sense to upgrade from w7 , but from xp yes.

Major problem for older system going vista would be slower.
IE metro ui looks great ...too bad, too bad i never use it :p

Windows 8 hardly = the fail that vista was.

Get used to it? Scary. That's not the way the Customer/Developer association is supposed to work.

Not necessarily worth the upgrade, but if you're going to buy a new system, there's really nothing to keep you from choosing Win8 over Win7.

I've been trying out Win8, and it's essentially still Win7. If you look at your desktop now, that's pretty much what Win8 is. The desktop environment that you're used to for work productivity is exactly the same. The taskbar, the control panel, the windows shortcuts, context sensitive middle clicks. It's all there and completely intact.

They did remove the start button, but i'm not missing it. My Win7 start menu is a mess. If i open it up now there's over a dozen folders i need to expand and the dozens (if not hundreds) of shortcuts i need to browse through to get at what i need. Inside one of the folders are 20 links, but i only ever use two (The rest are update shortcuts, config shortcuts, etc. that i never use) the Win8 'start menu' lets open a complete list of all your shortcuts, and 'pin' the ones you'll actually use. Only the ones that are relevant to you will display when you press the windows key.

I'm a web developer so i'm pretty heavy on the multitasking, and there's nothing on Win8 that's detrimental to my workflow. I can set it up pretty much the same as my Win7 workdesk.

There's not much on it that will benefit you (aside from being able to install tablet apps) if you're on a desktop, but there's nothing on it that will hurt your productivity. Being able to easily customize your start menu is actually a plus in my case. Much like how Win7's taskbar is superior to the WinXP one.

I haven't actually paid much attention to Win8 reviews until recently. I only even tried Win8 after a chat with heatlesssun. After trying it out, i figured out quite a bit on how to navigate it (The video demos were no help since i'm installing on an Atom rig, not a tablet) by treating it like a Win7 taskbar and the only thing i needed to look up was how to find the shutdown button. Other than that, i found the Control Panel rather quickly and set it up pretty much the same way i did on Win7.

I've been reading comments and the common misconception is that the metro UI is the desktop replacement. It's not. The desktop is still your primary work environment. If you launch an application, it's not gonna use the Metro, it'll open in a normal window on a normal desktop. Metro is the new Start Menu, it is NOT the desktop! After getting past this, there's really nothing else they're ranting about out there.

BTW, lower left corner = start menu, lower right corner = minimize everything, upper right corner = close current application. That's how the Win7 desktop works. It's the same thing on Win8. Except the previously unused upper left corner is now the mouse equivalent of CTRL-ALT-TAB.

Best post in this thread. Makes me feel better about reading all the nonsense before it.

I have a shortcut icon on my desktop for shutdown. It takes one double click.

I made a desktop shortcut to my libraries and I hardly even miss the start button. When I boot I go straight to the classic desktop. I would not pay to upgrade to this coming from 7, but if I were coming from XP or Vista I would probably go ahead and buy 8 when it's available.

Back