T-Mobile to Cut 5% of Workforce, Close Seven Call Centers

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
The lingering effects of the defunct merger with AT&T and the subsequent flight of customers prior to the takeover have caused T-Mobile to do a bit of restructuring over the next three months. The 1800 job cuts will strengthen the bottom line and help fund the proposed $4 Billion dollar 4G LTE network.

“The customer base is less and the call volume is lower,” said Cara Walker, a spokeswoman for the carrier. “This is an effort to optimize our operations.”

T-Mobile and AT&T can go both go to hell, Big Telecomm is and has always been no good.

I'm with the regulators on this one.

I'm glad they didn't get bought out by AT&T. The job losses would have been much higher.

They're trying to do in this situation what they can to improve and grow via the 4G build out. If that means that they can hopefully turn things around and stay competitive and maybe eventually grow again, thats all good stuff.

Its a shame they had to bleed their workforce to do it. But these days employees are the least valued thing in most companies. The most valuable is IP, attorneys and lobbyists.

T-Mobile and AT&T can go both go to hell, Big Telecomm is and has always been no good.

I'm with the regulators on this one.
I think you mean Deutsche Telekom because they are the reason that T-Mobile was merging in the first place.

But by all means, continue blaming a company that tries to keep itself alive.

One of the main reasons I have been sticking with T-mobile is the nice people at the customer service centers. I really hope they don't get rid of those wonderful people.

I guess the 4 billion dollars they got from AT&T for nothing just want enough to cover the few thousand dollars they are gonna save?

One of the main reasons I have been sticking with T-mobile is the nice people at the customer service centers. I really hope they don't get rid of those wonderful people.
You will likely get new wonderful people on the phone. Yes, thank you please, we will do the needful. *shakes head side to side*

I guess the 4 billion dollars they got from AT&T for nothing just want enough to cover the few thousand dollars they are gonna save?

My friend, I am sorry to tell you that T-Mobile USA will not see any of the $3 Billion breakup fee. All of that goes to DT, while T-Mobile USA will only benefit from the spectrum that AT&T gave up.

One of the call centers being closed is located just 10 minutes outside Kansas City in Lenexa, KS. Its ashame, I always heard such great things about that call center too. I wonder what they will do? Outsource more to India?:(

Its ashame, but they have to what they have to do to keep the company going and preserve what people they still have employed.

That is the logic that everyone is employing, and unfortunately that is part of the problem. Companies refuse to hire, keep laying off more people, keep outsourcing more and more of their workforce to India, and then wonder why their American consumers aren't spending as much.... when 9% of them are unemployed and far more underemployed BECAUSE of all the outsourcing/job cuts.

Its so obviously circular, but we still continue spiraling down this trend with less American jobs and less American expenditure.

That sucks.. I know Allot of people who work in the Meridian ID call center. My wife & my best friend both used to. I bet there both feeling good about getting out while it was still good.

My friend, I am sorry to tell you that T-Mobile USA will not see any of the $3 Billion breakup fee. All of that goes to DT, while T-Mobile USA will only benefit from the spectrum that AT&T gave up.

This was what was assumed immediately when the merger was called off because DT originally planned to take the proceeds and pay off European debt but it turns out to not be the case, probably because they need to do some improvements if they ever want to get rid of it, or work a deal with someone else. T-Mobile USA is spending $4 billion (the amount they got) on their LTE plan over the next two years. It's still estimated that they needed to spend around 7B I believe to completely convert, but it's a start.

My contract is up in a month. I really like T-mobile and I'm hoping this doesn't affect their service, but if it does I'll be more than happy to switch carriers.

This was what was assumed immediately when the merger was called off because DT originally planned to take the proceeds and pay off European debt but it turns out to not be the case, probably because they need to do some improvements if they ever want to get rid of it, or work a deal with someone else. T-Mobile USA is spending $4 billion (the amount they got) on their LTE plan over the next two years. It's still estimated that they needed to spend around 7B I believe to completely convert, but it's a start.

They must have gotten something, because a T-mobile store had recently opened near me right before the merger mess - then promptly closed during the mess - then re-opened with a makeover (that wasn't really needed seeing as it was a recent renovation when it first opened) right after they gave AT&T the finger.

I've been with T-mobile US for 8 years.. When I heard DT was going to sell to AT&T I was about ready to bail out to Verizon or Sprint but I hung in there. Sad that so many idiots bailed out on them early on without waiting to see if the deal was even sealed which is wasn't. So they bailed out and went to a more expensive company.. well they can't port their numbers again for 2 years. I'm happy with my T-mobile service they've always been good to me and that matters more than features sometimes.

Back