Online Movie Streaming Will Overtake DVD Sales

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
For the first time, online movie streaming will generate more revenue than DVD and BluRay sales in the US. The figures may be up for debate, but it’s hard to ignore the trend. The sales figures include subscription services like Netflix and Hulu.

The analytics firm estimates that Americans will watch 3.4 billion movies online in 2012, a figure that is considerably larger than the 2.4 billion DVD and Blu-ray discs expected to sell.

if ISPs start throttling everyone "suspected" of being a pirate, I think this number is going to start to fall...not to mention that data plans keep getting worse and worse so these numbers are unlikely to grow at a healthy rate. It's a shame.

Can't count me in those statistics, that's for sure. I'd rather wait until I get home to watch most movies on my HT setup in full quality than on some portable device. I'm not part of that GIMME MOAR NOW crowd.

What does portable device have to do with DVD sales vs streaming sales? I don't rent movies anymore and only buy the occasional movie to own and for that purpose I want it on a disk in a box and not wasting HDD space.

"It's about time"

I'm almost 30 and I can't believe we are still using physical media.

Good Riddance.

Got tons of money for HDDs? Got a be an idiot to want to waste HDD space on movies you only watch once ever 2 years. I am not talking about streaming movies but collecting movies. Buying movies to store on HDDs is just a dumb fucking idea.

Got tons of money for HDDs? Got a be an idiot to want to waste HDD space on movies you only watch once ever 2 years. I am not talking about streaming movies but collecting movies. Buying movies to store on HDDs is just a dumb fucking idea.
Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll not actually be allowed to keep movies in the future, you simple license the ability to watch it at any given moment...i.e. they will be streamed in one sense or another.

These numbers are bull manure, there isn't 3.4 billion movies in the whole world! ^-^
I also don't know how they got the $4.74/movie average price. Does it mean that for each brand new released Blu-ray blockbuster purchased at $25, there is one person who got the movie for free plus $15 in cash? Where can I get those?

These numbers are bull manure, there isn't 3.4 billion movies in the whole world! ^-^
I also don't know how they got the $4.74/movie average price. Does it mean that for each brand new released Blu-ray blockbuster purchased at $25, there is one person who got the movie for free plus $15 in cash? Where can I get those?
That's how many movies total Americans have watched, meaning if two people watch Braveheart then that accounts for 2.

Now you know and knowing is half the battle.

if ISPs start throttling everyone "suspected" of being a pirate, I think this number is going to start to fall...not to mention that data plans keep getting worse and worse so these numbers are unlikely to grow at a healthy rate. It's a shame.

This. While I am all about the cloud and streaming stuff like iTunes movie rentals, I think ISPs are going to screw the pooch with data and bandwidth caps. A shame indeed. I would rather have streaming content over physical content any day.

Yay for shit-quality streaming.
I'll be enjoying my DTS and Dolby lossless, without compressed shit visuals, thanks.

Yay for shit-quality streaming.
I'll be enjoying my DTS and Dolby lossless, without compressed shit visuals, thanks.

I'm not the only one who hates streaming media yay! I'll be buying physical media 'til the day it is impossible. CDs for the artist I love, Blu-rays for the movies I like to watch, and whatever comes next.

"It's about time"

I'm almost 30 and I can't believe we are still using physical media.

Good Riddance.

You must not have a high end HT system in your house.

I didn't spend $5000+ on my HT equipment to stream crappy compressed "HD" content into my system. I want full 1080p Blu-ray or nothng at all...

Don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll not actually be allowed to keep movies in the future, you simple license the ability to watch it at any given moment...i.e. they will be streamed in one sense or another.

I know that is where they are corralling us but I am a resistant bastard and they can fuck off.

Boy do I feel dumb now for having a HTPC.

Well, you didn't think it through very well if you use it to store movies on because all HDDs fail at some point. Usually within five years.

Well, you didn't think it through very well if you use it to store movies on because all HDDs fail at some point. Usually within five years.

Nah, I thought it through as I still have hard copies and multiple HD backups for failures.
Apparently you didn't think before you posted, but that's OK.

While I agree most movies aren't worth watching a second time, it's not the hard drive storage that makes it expensive. Even with the somewhat inflated prices right now (from the floods) you can get 2TB for $130, which will hold some 300-400 DVD movies.

The $10-20 cost of a DVD is what makes it expensive to collect them. 300 DVDs at $10-$20ea is $3000-$6000. After spending thousands on your DVD collection I don't think a $130 hard drive is going to break the bank.

There are things called backups and RAID, both of which can be done fairly easily/cheaply (not to mention the original DVD copy).

I've personally never had a Western Digital drive fail within 5 years though. I even had a 9 year old (80GB) drive I had to stop using simply because it was too slow, but it never actually failed. Maybe I'm just lucky though. I had tons of problems with Maxtor drives back in the day, but ever since switching to WD I haven't had a single drive failure.

Boy do I feel dumb now for having a HTPC.

Me 2.

I guess it's stupid to backup movies and like being able to watch something instantly then mess with finding a movie on a shelf, dealing with a scratched disc, or finger prints.

Back