Is this build that I ordered good?

Hello, i just bought a computer from ibuypower. I was going to build one, but my parents said that it was more expensive to build one than to order one, which i know is completely wrong. But, i have ordered my computer. Before I ordered it, i went on to multiple forum sites to help me on what i would need. I will be gaming, definately watching and burning blu-ray discs, photoshop, after effects, and multiple 3D programs. My build is as followed:

Case: NZXT Alpha Gaming Case - Black
Intel Core i7 2700K Quad Core Processor @3.5 GHz
AMD Radeon HD 7850 - 2GB - Single Card
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM, [8GB x 2] Corsair
Asus P8Z68-V LX Mobo
850 Watt Corsair CMPSU-850TXV2
Liquid CPU Cooling [SOCKET-1155] + Dual ARC Fans
LG Blu-Ray Writer
Windows 7 Professional
+ Other extra stuff that doesn't effect performance

Is this build good for what I do? I also watch a lot of HD Youtube videos, so I am hoping that this build is good enough for what I am wanting to do.

Seeing as how you already spent the money on it...what would you do if we told you that build was complete and utter crap?

Looks fine to me. Fairly high end setup. Probably a little overkill.

"Probably a little overkill"
Ok, good! i am wanting this to be a bit overkill, because then in a few years it wouldnt be as dated. If it was current with the times, then in a year it would start to go slow.

Well the main problem is that you bought the PC from iBuypower. They're known for low quality of construction, assembly, and support. So in other words, good luck.

As for the actualy parts, most of the parts themselves aren't bad but are mostly overpriced, overkill, or outdated even if you were gonna build it yourself. And considering that we're about a month to a month and a half from the release of Intel's newer and faster CPUs, a little premature if you didn't need the PC right away.

EDIT: Also kinda wrong choice for a video card since you're using Adobe software which takes advantage of Nvidia's CUDA tech. As such, for Adobe products, you were better off with a Nvidia card.

Last edited:
Well, i am not a completely avid video editor. i am definately into VFX and GFX, but it isnt like my job. It is a hobby. Also, i am planning to just be doing a lot of gaming while recording, and internet surfing. Do not get me wrong, i use after effects and photoshop a lot, and i am starting to learn 3D work. But i have talked to many and many people, and they have said that to wait a month to pay an extra $100 or whatever just so i can save 1 minute on rendering, is worthless. Now, i am going off of the words of someone else, not me. So if i am completely and utterly wrong on that, then i apologize.

But i have talked to many and many people, and they have said that to wait a month to pay an extra $100 or whatever just so i can save 1 minute on rendering, is worthless. Now, i am going off of the words of someone else, not me. So if i am completely and utterly wrong on that, then i apologize.
Yeah those people were off: Intel generally releases new CPUs at or around the price range of their older CPUs to drive sales. In other words, you would have been paying the same price but get more performance. For CPU heavy games like BF3 and Skyrim, you're gonna want all the CPU power you can get.

well i dont really intend to play BF3 on my new comp, i am going to keep my Skyrim and my BF3 on my xbox. I am too used to those controls. The games i will be playing are going to be games like the ME series or Alan Wake. Games that wont kill the CPU.

well i dont really intend to play BF3 on my new comp, i am going to keep my Skyrim and my BF3 on my xbox. I am too used to those controls. The games i will be playing are going to be games like the ME series or Alan Wake. Games that wont kill the CPU.

Fair enough. But my earlier assessment still stands: overpriced, overkill, and/or outdated parts:
1) The case is fairly outdated since it has limited cable management capability. Which means more cables in the way which means more obstructed airflow which means higher temperatures. Also outdated in terms of the limited space

2) The video card is a bit overpriced, sadly, since the equally fast GTX 560 TI costs less and the even faster GTX 560 TI 448 Core costs only a little bit more.

3) Since you said that VFX and GFX was just a hobby, you probably didn't need the ability upgrade to 32GB of RAM later on (unless 8GB x 2 means something entirely different)

4) PSU wise, unless you're going for a tri-Crossfire build, that PSU was a bit overkill. That system would have been fine with a 650W PSU or a 750W if going for Crossfire.

5) Unless there were some specific Windows 7 Pro features that you absolutely needed, you probably would have been fine with Windows 7 Home Premium. The performance is exactly the same among the main Windows 7 versions.

1. The reason the PSU is 850w is because it was a free upgrade from the 750w.
2. The 4 main reasons I got win pro is because if I ever needed to, I could upgrade my ram. Another reason is for XP Mode, which is an obvious meaning. Number three: file encrypting. Number four: remote desktop.

Back