NVIDIA GTX 680 Features Explained On Video

wonder how much of that will work on the 5x0 line too stuff like the TXAA and physics stuff

They said for sure that the TXAA would work on the 500 series "eventually". Not sure about the rest. I'd love to see Adaptive VSync for the 500 series as well, though.

Me likey 3 monitor surround officially supported w/ one 680!!! Woot woot, about time nVidia!

Lol the fastest most efficient gpu we ever built besides the one on the back burner so we can cash grab again.

I'm so glad I am not loyal to either brand because if I only used nvidia this would piss me off.

I'm definitely in for two gtx 680's. About time to Ebay these 3 thermis. Waiting on official reviews. Cool stuff in that video.

Lol the fastest most efficient gpu we ever built besides the one on the back burner so we can cash grab again.

I'm so glad I am not loyal to either brand because if I only used nvidia this would piss me off.

That's called business. All corporations do it.

The statement wasn't a nvidia bash honestly the card's impressive. I didn't buy an x1800 from ati either though I waited for the x1900's... I still have a gtx 580 I like better than 6970 cf in bf3 on RMA... Who knows maybe they'll upgrade me :)

another fail from nvidia. Still cant do 2 or 5 displays in "surround display" like AMD can.

another fail from nvidia. Still cant do 2 or 5 displays in "surround display" like AMD can.

2 displays is just odd first off and I rarely ever see people with 5 displays. Hell I never even seen a review with 5 displays being used.

lol 5 displays, as if 2 bezels arnt bad enough.. would be like being in a jail cell xD

NVidia looks to have a nice product this time around, but unless they are just a ton more value than AMD, I am sticking with AMD for this next gen. Despite what everyone else seems to say, I just had too many problems with compatibility (with drivers etc) with Nvidia.

What's the difference between TXAA and FXAA? FXAA already seems to smooth out jaggies with little/no performance hit.

can they just release it already. waiting for upgrade so i can finally play skyrim lol. not willing to play it on medium res!

Based on what little we've seen of TXAA it looks like it takes care of all those distant/thin-object jaggies that FXAA and even SMAA do little to fix. I'm excited to see some real-world demonstrations/benchmarks with it, though.

That's called business. All corporations do it.

I always LOL when I see these responses every time someone calls into question unethical business practices. Yes, we are aware that many companies do business this way, but does that make it morally acceptable? Ofcourse I voice my displeasure with my wallet as well and I won't be buying a 680. My 460's will have to hang on just a little while longer.

Was it just me but the card shown in the video they claimed was the gtx680 only had one 6 pin pci-e power plug?

Nevermind. looking at the video again I see they piggybacked the power adaptors.

I always LOL when I see these responses every time someone calls into question unethical business practices. Yes, we are aware that many companies do business this way, but does that make it morally acceptable? Ofcourse I voice my displeasure with my wallet as well and I won't be buying a 680. My 460's will have to hang on just a little while longer.

So you hate capitalism?

Was it just me but the card shown in the video they claimed was the gtx680 only had one 6 pin pci-e power plug?

Nevermind. looking at the video again I see they piggybacked the power adaptors.

I noticed that as well... especially when he was speaking about power efficiency.

I'm not entirely sure how it's unethical. No one but nVidia is able to categorize their card other than them. They have chosen to categorize the 680 as a high end card (as denoted by the x80 moniker). We have little to no info on GK110 so it's unlikely that it will even be a 600 series part. Likely we will see a situation similar to 400/500 series where it's the same architecture but we get the "better" parts in the 700 series.

Hopefully you will also not be purchasing a 7000 series AMD card, either.

I use projectors not monitors

Then you are part of the 0.01% that will not be happy with Nvidia over this particular issue. The entire multi-monitor gaming population is a small enough niche that you're lucky to have anything, really.

Alright NVIDIA has release an official video basically announcing the card, when the heck can we see reviews and order the damn thing?!

I'm not entirely sure how it's unethical. No one but nVidia is able to categorize their card other than them. They have chosen to categorize the 680 as a high end card (as denoted by the x80 moniker). We have little to no info on GK110 so it's unlikely that it will even be a 600 series part. Likely we will see a situation similar to 400/500 series where it's the same architecture but we get the "better" parts in the 700 series.

This is true, I have to admit my feelings on GK104/GK110 are based purely on speculation. As for the 7xxx series, I'm bypassing those as well. All the rigs I've been building for people recently have been using AMD 5xxx and 6xxx series cards. I have nothing against nVidia mind you, just found more bang per buck in the red team for now. For my own rigs I tend to lean towards green just because I prefer the way their driver control panel functions.

I'm waiting for the release of this GTX680 so I can build my new system.

Please Hurry up Nvidia :)

So you hate capitalism?

Judging from his posts in this thread... I'd say he's a huge fan of capitalism.

Knee jerk reaction much?

The move certainly won't gain much favor with a good deal of potential customers. Some people like a good value and this is bound to make them feel cheated. Sometimes, how well your product sells is just all about perception. Nvidia should have kept a tighter lip on this.

In the end though... if this helps them stay competitive... power to them. It's bad enough we have to deal with this oligopoly... the last thing I want to see is a monopoly because one side of the fence had to close shop. If only Intel could get their collective heads out of their asses and put out a competitive product. :)

Last edited:
None of those features have any real effect in gaming. I blame this on Direct X. You can't introduce any new tech without working around it. Unlike OpenGL where Nvidia could make custom extensions.

Not only were graphic cards capable of mind blowing new features, but they did everything 2x to 3x faster then previous generation. It's just not like that anymore.

None of those features have any real effect in gaming. I blame this on Direct X. You can't introduce any new tech without working around it. Unlike OpenGL where Nvidia could make custom extensions.

Not only were graphic cards capable of mind blowing new features, but they did everything 2x to 3x faster then previous generation. It's just not like that anymore.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember a time before DirectX... :eek:

I can say with confidence that it's better now with the API in place. Now that's not to say that Microsoft couldn't be a bit more innovative with the piece of software... but they have bigger concerns... like raking in on a (nearly) 7 year old product based on an API that's about (don't quote me on this) 2 generations old. :rolleyes:

Eager to see this card on the bench.
GPU Boost, TXAA, etc. Show us what you can do, Nvidia.

Well, tessellation (while not really a new thing) was kind of a big addition with DX11.

I look forward to the possibility of owning one. I hope a version with more vram shows up in the market sooner rather then later.

the guy in the video is a marketing guy -- so automatically he loses points because it's his JOB to simply spout crap that will get you drooling, doesn't have to be 100% true.

good for them for finally getting the 680 out - but if this is their top range I can't wait to see how it overclocks and how it goes up against the 7000 series. Just my opinion -- I'd be pretty pissed if I waited all this time and only got a 10% bump in performance off a stock 7970.

So evrybody should stop development on products in the pipeline whenever something is released? Very silly concept, but I guess we have all been doing it wrong.

So evrybody should stop development on products in the pipeline whenever something is released? Very silly concept, but I guess we have all been doing it wrong.

Eh? How did you get that out of what I said? I'm genuinely confused. :confused:

What I was trying to say is that based on rumors and speculation, the GK104 was originally intended to be their midrange product, but due to lower than expected performance from AMD's 7xxx series, nVidia seems keen on releasing it as a high-end product. In other words they are simply cashing in because of lack of competition. At least that's how I see it, therefore I'm willing to skip on the 680 and wait for the next thing in line (GK110) who's performance will probably better match its price-range.

Judging from his posts in this thread... I'd say he's a huge fan of capitalism.

Knee jerk reaction much?

The move certainly won't gain much favor with a good deal of potential customers. Some people like a good value and this is bound to make them feel cheated. Sometimes, how well your product sells is just all about perception. Nvidia should have kept a tighter lip on this.

In the end though... if this helps them stay competitive... power to them. It's bad enough we have to deal with this oligopoly... the last thing I want to see is a monopoly because one side of the fence had to close shop. If only Intel could get their collective heads out of their asses and put out a competitive product. :)

And so should Porsche on their upcoming 911. And LG with their new OLED panels coming out. And you get the point. In today's world, it is inevitable that anything you buy today may not be the "best" 6 months from now. We just have to deal with it.

What marketing spin!

You didn't listen to consumers - you're releasing a mid-range GPU; of course it's going to be low-power.. it just so happens that it's more powerful than AMD's high-end.

Back