Minnesota Maximizes Productivity By Moving to Microsoft Office 365

HardOCP News

[H] News
State moves to Office 365’s next-generation communication and collaboration capabilities for 35,000 workers. With an eye toward increasing worker productivity and delivering enhanced constituent services, the State of Minnesota moved to Microsoft Office 365 to upgrade its communication and collaboration systems for markedly increased capacity and capability with no reported downtime or disruption during the migration.

Should someone insert a BSOD joke or are we past that? I'm kinda out of the loop on the latest and greatest.

I almost moved my company to Office 365 until I figured out how expensive SharePoint Online 2010 would have been with our 850+ and growing client access. They charge per-account in SharePoint Online which I think will hurt their bottom line. Not to mention SharePoint Online is shared with everybody. You'd get a site (and of course sites within that site). The downside is since it's hosted SharePoint, you cannot install custom or third party apps or web parts.

I ended up opting for a managed datacenter (Apps4Rent) that charges by what server you want (Nehalem Xeon, 12gb RAM, 1TB drive, etc). They'll manage SharePoint for me when I need help with something. They also charge $6.25 per user for Exchange 2010 email service (5gb quota, 100mb attachment per email) which we use within the company alone (85 employees).

Office 365 is fantastic for small businesses that wants SharePoint as an intranet service or extranet if they have a few clients. But beyond that, it gets expensive really quick.

Back