Walmart To Let Cash-Only Customers Shop Online

HardOCP News

[H] News
This could turn out to be a great idea if everything goes as planned.

Called "Pay With Cash," the program would allow the approximately 20% of Walmart customers who lack bank accounts or credit cards to reserve products for pick-up online and then pick them up at a nearby Walmart, where they would, as the name suggests, pay with cash.

Online shopping for people who bounced too many checks to get a debit card... nice! Where was this 15 years ago? lol

20% of their customer base doesn't have a bank account???...holy F...know I remember why I don't shop @ Wal-Mart

Isn't this basically a glorified order-online-pick-up-at-store option?

I worked there until recently. If you think it's bad just shopping there, you should see it as a Front End manager dealing with the crazies.

Bank accounts OR credit cards. Not necessarily both.

I know the part Steve quoted said or, but it means they do not have either. If they had one or the other they would not need this option. This is for people who don't have a credit card AND don't have a debit card.

how do you access the internet with ease to order it online? Don't you need an bank account/debit card to even have home internet/cell phone? I know you can go to public library but...

I actually think this is a stupid idea. Walmart has prepaid visa/mastercard debit cards they sell in the stores. You buy one for $9.95 (or whatever the price is), load it, and go shopping online.

I currently use a walmart debit card for everything. Even have my paychecks direct deposited on it. Why? I don't trust banks and I had to have a bank account or this card to be able to get paid by my job (no hard checks are issued through this company).

I also have a prepaid American Express card. It was free.

So yea.. this idea is stupid.

how do you access the internet with ease to order it online? Don't you need an bank account/debit card to even have home internet/cell phone? I know you can go to public library but...
I was thinking this as well.

But really. How do you NOT get a checking account? Most of them even come with a debit card by default.

I guess these are the same people that can not even buy stamps to mail their Comcast bill in. Jesus Christ, had to wait in like for 2 hours to swap my cable box because 99% of the people their were paying their bill. Really?

It's called driving around until you find an unsecured WIFI signal (usually after first completing a drive-by shooting), placing your order, and then driving next door to the WalMart to pick it up.

It's called driving around until you find an unsecured WIFI signal (usually after first completing a drive-by shooting), placing your order, and then driving next door to the WalMart to pick it up.

Yeah. We may know how to do that, but those 20% of Walmarters..well.....

You forgot the part where you post all about it (particularly the drive-by) on Face and/or YouTube! :p

or, going in to the office every month to pay.
or, mailing a money order.
yup, some people do it.

There are a number of people that do not like using CC/debit online. That same group of people probably shops at Walmart quite often. Personally, I'm not a big fan of the 'Big Box.'

20% of their customer base doesn't have a bank account???...holy F...know I remember why I don't shop @ Wal-Mart

Maybe they meant 0.2%...there's no way people have no bank accounts, I don't think I've ever met anyone over the age of 16 who doesn't have at least one.

I had a joint bank account a long time ago and the old lady at the time would constantly overdraw. After a while of not paying the fee's they shut it down. Once they do that you'll be denied opening even simple checking accounts for years.

In my case im unable to open a checking account anywhere. Now i just get my payroll done on rechargeable visa debit cards. Which now begs the question, why doesn't this mythical 20% wal-mart is talking about use rechargeable debit cards. Walmart SELLS THEM and they only cost a few dollars.

you can
its a pain in the ass but you can

Crack head at the mini mart up the street told me he has six bank accounts all with thousands in the neg and he takes his check to wal mart or 711 and gets it cashed for $3.00. If he needs card he buys one of those fill as you go kind.

Seems like the pain in the ass is learning how to play the system. Once you are in, seems easy.

Maybe they meant 0.2%...there's no way people have no bank accounts, I don't think I've ever met anyone over the age of 16 who doesn't have at least one.

Actually, I can believe those numbers. Keep in mind all of the illegal immigrants who shop there and pay with cash that they don't pay taxes on their income yet still are able to collect food stamps and welfare.

There are still plenty of people who won't use their bank accounts online. I am actually one of them. If I order anything online, it's going to be done through a credit card. With everyone getting hacked these days, if one of my accounts gets jacked, I don't want it to be my bank account.

There are also plenty of people who won't use their credit cards online. Maybe it's not about who has or doesn't have a bank account and/or a credit card; instead its about who doesn't want to pay online. I don't know how they would come up with a statistic on how many of their customers actually had credit/debit cards. I can see them easily getting a stat on how many cash vs plastic customers they had, and possibly assuming people don't use cash unless they don't have a bank account...

The idea has merit and is worth it if it makes it convenient for customers. I can see a "processing" fee as well as a "handling" fee. Enough fees and people will just go to the store and get it themselves.

It's nothing new, though -- grocery stores around here have been doing it for a while. Call in and order, swing by and it's ready to go. Pay for it while they load it in your car...

I went quite a while without any means for paying for things online. You can pay most bills with direct debit and I used one of those maestro cards that aren't accepted online to pay for things in person or get cash out and paid in cash. The once in a blue moon I actually wanted to buy something online I'd just ask someone to get it for me and I'd pay them back. Its inconvenient but totally possible to live without means to buy things online.

how does this work.. if i dont have a CC or bank account, can't i just order shit and never pick it up?

also, if you are not getting the items delivered and since you are being forced to pick it up at a walmart, why just do everything at the walmart

Depending on a bank account, you can have a checking and savings account, and not have a CC or debit card issued, You can have just a plain ol' ATM Card.. good at only atm machines.

A lot of poor people do not have bank accounts. This is why check cashing is a big business at grocery stores and... walmart.

Yes, you can order a ton of stuff and not pick it up, but why? Also, there are tons of stuff offered on the online store that is not offered in-store.

Anyway, Walmart already offers free-to-store ship so it's not like it's a big deal. They just shifted the pay from the front-end to cash on delivery. We do remember COD? Pay the mailman days of yore?

This only helps 2 types of people.

1. Illegal immigrants.

2. People who are afraid of online shopping.

Back