Solaris 11 Express to OI

PointandClick

Limp Gawd
I've been needing to do a clean install on my NAS/server box for a while now but haven't had the time to bring it down long enough to do it all at once. Since I freed up an extra hdd from another project I figured I'd just use it so I can put the old drive back in if I don't get it finished today.

I had been considering moving away from Solaris 11 just to get away from the closed environment. After watching this video I'm completely convinced ;)

So my considerations were OpenIndiana and SmartOS. SmartOS seems really intriguing, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to make the jump to something like that for a "production" machine. A small live OS seems like it would be perfect for a nas machine and reading about the virtualization had me all giggity. Unfortunately I have AMD hardware, and I'm only familiar enough with Solaris to make myself dangerous so I don't need to compound it any more.

So I'm left with OI. It looks like I'm going to be in trouble with the ZFS version since S11 is Version 31 and OI appears to be on 28. I haven't quite figured out what I'm going to do there. I'm using 870g of my 4tb raidz1 array. I might be able to transfer it all off to other systems, but I need to do some math and see.

Any comments regarding this plan? Things that I might run into.

If you want to use OI, you need to downgrade your zpool, by copying the data off. JUst as you described. Other than that, I think it looks good.

So I've got the box back up running OI 151. I have most of my data transferred back over. It's still amazing (and kind of scary) how simple setting up zpools is.

Installing netatalk was much simpler than the last time I did it. I had a problem with the sfe package evidently installing in the wrong place and causing cnid errors when connecting. I just reinstalled from source and all was good.

The only other thing is I can't get the device model to change from iMac in avahi/bonjour. It's not really critical, but I'd like it to be something else. I have tried setting the new? option for mimicmodel in the afpd.conf file, tried a config file at /etc/avahi/services/afpd.service and afp.service and all combinations I can think of. Anyone else know something I don't?

A dual port nic would have come in handy for copying stuff back and forth. I had to use 2 drives in my desktop and my laptop to hold everything. Didn't seem to take too awfully long anyway, probably less if it weren't for all the XBMC movie info and pics.

I'm using the latest development release, 151a. Is this not new enough?

I never had any luck setting up the CIFS server before. :eek: I never made it much of a priority since 99% of the time I'm accessing from OS X.
I've never had a problem with netatalk, once its setup. I'm actually really impressed with the transfer speeds. Usually between 80-90MB/s from my desktop with a single disk, peaking at 115MB/s. This is using crappy Realtek nics on both ends. :)

I'm using the latest development release, 151a. Is this not new enough?

I never had any luck setting up the CIFS server before. :eek: I never made it much of a priority since 99% of the time I'm accessing from OS X.
I've never had a problem with netatalk, once its setup. I'm actually really impressed with the transfer speeds. Usually between 80-90MB/s from my desktop with a single disk, peaking at 115MB/s. This is using crappy Realtek nics on both ends. :)

For SMB and Lion, you need OI 151a2

151a_prestable1 you mean? Not an issue for me at any rate. I haven't seen anything worth upgrading to Lion for so I'll probably wait for ML. I use afp exclusively on OS X anyway.

Still haven't managed to change the model icon. :(

you may look at my afp installer http://www.napp-it.org/afp
especially the part

Code:
cat > /etc/avahi/services/deviceinfo.service <<EOF
<?xml version="1.0" standalone='no'?><!--*-nxml-*-->
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
  <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
  <service>
    <type>_device-info._tcp</type>
    <port>548</port>
    <txt-record>model=RackMac</txt-record>
  </service>
</service-group>
EOF

that generates a 19" apple server icon

Thanks a million. :)

I had the file, but it contained this instead:

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE service-group SYSTEM "avahi-service.dtd">
<service-group>
    <name replace-wildcards="yes">%h</name>
    <service>
        <type>_afpovertcp._tcp</type>
        <port>548</port>
    </service>
    <service>
        <type>_device-info._tcp</type>
        <port>0</port>
        <txt-record>model=Xserve</txt-record>
    </service>
</service-group>

This is what I had found on multiple different guides, but whatever the difference is, yours worked.

You can use my netatalk installer without or with napp-it (includes sharing via web-Gui)
I hope for feedback, if there are problems too

install newest netatalk on OI from scratch:
Code:
wget -O - www.napp-it.org/afp | perl

Thanks for all your help. I had Napp-it installed on my Sol11 setup, it's coming along quite nicely.

I'm trying to do as much as I can from the CL so I can learn my way around Unix a little better. I think I did almost all of this setup from the terminal.. guess I didn't need to install the desktop version.

Back