Portal's 'Still Alive' Played by Fiber Laser

Awesome indeed... the timing and tone isn't perfect, but with etched goodness as the result, I don't even care.

Does a laser etcher really make a noise you can modulate when it's lasing?

This video >>> than the floppy drive versions

Okay that is one of the coolest gadget fun things I have seen in a very long time.

First I was thinking "meh... this is kinda lame seen it a million times" then about 1/3 of the way through "Wait.... is that the aperture science logo? I'll be damned, this is now awesome".

That was pretty cool. Would have been cooler if the laser machine tried to kill him when went to pick up the logo.

This video >>> than the floppy drive versions
Lol that was what I was thinking. He is using frikkin lasers, man!

...but there was probably a lot more programming and hard modding involved in the floppy drive songs, so I still give credit to them.

Okay, never touched Portal or Portal2. But damn if that ain't cool.

Having had some experience with laser etching, I wonder how many plates he went through before getting it right. Not to mention converting from raster to vector before loading. One of my pet peeves is the obscene amount of money this equipment costs and still forces you to use DOS based control interfaces.

Sounded OK, but the fan noise in the background put a damper on it. Still a pretty dam cool experience. Never heard lazer music before.

Really quite amazing I didn't realize until about halfway through he was going to go as far as to make the logo. Very cool.

It's impossible to touch a portal as your hand goes right through it.

Tell that to the guy... :D

Still, this was pretty damn awesome. If i had access to the right equipment my company makes, i could probably do something similar with a servo motor and a motion control drive. I have seen a colleague make music with a standard VFD and a standard induction motor, but you'd never get the higher frequencies out of one of those, nor the proper response time.

A servo motor, OTOH, and the right drive system, and i could "make zeh behutiful musik of dah night!"

Edit: I need to go and find out if someone has done the portal song with a tesla coil, i bet that someone has! BRB

First I was thinking "meh... this is kinda lame seen it a million times" then about 1/3 of the way through "Wait.... is that the aperture science logo? I'll be damned, this is now awesome".

Yeah....ummm this times a million... This has to be one of the coolest videos I have seen in quite a while. What an amazing age we live in.

Life saving medical procedures, going to other planets, the invention of the microchip, the internet, amazing cars and planes, deep sea exploration...

Lets get real, this video just took a metaphorical crap on em all! You know its true! :D

(I don't know if I was sarchastic there or serious) :( :confused: :eek:

Back