Goof May Mean Kim DotCom Can Reclaim Assets

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
In a rush to seize the assets of Kim Dotcom, the founder of MegaUpload, New Zealand authorities failed to file the correct paperwork to seize his property and the result could be voiding the order and return of his assets. The issue will now go before the courts for a ruling.

A court has now ruled that the restraining order that enabled police to seize his assets is "null and void."

I bet some young person in the prosecutor's office is going to get demoted/fired for this. I don't think this is going to help Kim's case, he's still likely to get extradited, convicted, and thrown into a black hole for a bunch of years.

Hopefully this is just one in a series of events (which lean in his favor) that will lead up to him winning a gigantic lawsuit across multiple governments.

Hopefully this is just one in a series of events (which lean in his favor) that will lead up to him winning a gigantic lawsuit across multiple governments.

+1 if they where going to try to make an example of him and the company, they should at least have their paper work in order. Hope this bites them in the ass.:D

Good for him, frankly it kind of pisses me off the amount of fervor that gov'ts have for going after piracy, where as other types of fraud (financial, banking, stocks, etc) which end up costing the entire world MUCH more, well gov'ts bail that out to fix the problem.

Good for him, frankly it kind of pisses me off the amount of fervor that gov'ts have for going after piracy, where as other types of fraud (financial, banking, stocks, etc) which end up costing the entire world MUCH more, well gov'ts bail that out to fix the problem.
funny... fraud is one of the many charges outside of copyright infringement in the megaupload case =p

Here in New Zealand we won't stand up to the USA, but we will screw up the paperwork :D

reminds me of a case at my buddies house party.

Cops walked in with out a warrant on private property. Started to issue tickets and arrests for various things.

We go to court ( i was a witness) all charges were dropped due their inability to have legal bounds to be there in the first place. The main arresting officer says to the judge "but there was over 200 people there" me and my buddy naturally just grinned from ear to ear.

great moments in life. This guy will likely walk because of this at least on the charges he faces there. He deserves to walk.

i would have much preferred the involved foreign governments telling the US to stfu and pound sand.

as a Kiwi, the NZ Govt (especially under John Key) will bend down and kiss whatever it needs to under the interests of the almighty dollar ('free trade').

Heck, they're even partially selling several of our best state owned assets for '6-8 Billion dollars', though that's before the dealer gets their cut (expected to be several hundred million dollars) and these assets will have given out that amount of return to the government within an expected 7 years (not accounting for profits/prices to go up)

Here in New Zealand we won't stand up to the USA, but we will screw up the paperwork :D
Would be funny if it was someone in charge of the paperwork intentionally messing it up and saying "fuck you, USA, you don't own us".

actually i was thinking the same thing. What if they did it on purpose because they can not blatantly tell the US gov. to stfu.

Back