Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC

HardOCP News

[H] News
The PureOverclock team has just published its review of the Sapphire Radeon 7850 OC today. Those of you in the market for a mid-range graphics card should definitely check this one out.

It's an overclocked version of the AMD design, and also comes with a customized air cooler to tame the temperatures that can come with higher speeds. As we've come to expect from Sapphire, excellent cooling is a hallmark of their designs, and today may be no different with this new card.

I'm thinking about jumping on one of these as soon as they are available. Seems like a worthy upgrade to my HD5850. I just wish I could find more reviews at eyefinity resolutions. But I think the extra Gig of VRAM should work out much better than my current setup.

I'm loving these. The size, power usage, only 1 6-pin adapter, low temps. Going to get one when it becomes available and another one at the end of the year.
Not really loving the aesthetics of the sapphire. I like the look of the XFX "ghost" a lot more but since I'm using an R3 it doesn't really matter.

these are on sale on amazon and newegg already.. was looking at it and I'm pretty much sold. I'm gonna wait for Kepler though I bet the price will drop... Hopefully below 400... around 350 is justifiable we'll see though :X

EDIT:

whoops was looking at the 7950 :p

The main reason I'm interested in the 7850OC is for crossfire on an eyefinity setup.

At around $250 each, you can throw two of these into a rig for $500 and kick any single $500 card's ass. In addition, for those on a budget (like me), I can buy one now and still drive my 3 monitors for a little with medium settings while I save up for the 2nd card. Not to mention they've got 2Gb of video memory (more than the GTX560Ti or GTX570), and they have reasonable enough power usage for me to put two into my current rig without replacing my 750W Corsair P/S.Of course, my biggest temptation is to spring for the 7870OC and blow my budget.

Decisions, decisions...

The main reason I'm interested in the 7850OC is for crossfire on an eyefinity setup.

At around $250 each, you can throw two of these into a rig for $500 and kick any single $500 card's ass. In addition, for those on a budget (like me), I can buy one now and still drive my 3 monitors for a little with medium settings while I save up for the 2nd card. Not to mention they've got 2Gb of video memory (more than the GTX560Ti or GTX570), and they have reasonable enough power usage for me to put two into my current rig without replacing my 750W Corsair P/S.Of course, my biggest temptation is to spring for the 7870OC and blow my budget.

Decisions, decisions...

Hah, you and me are in the same boat. But the price difference is just too huge between the 7850 and 7870 + again, the small size and low power usage will make it better in the long run :).

Looks like a nice GPU, but why can't these companies just release the card w/ the reference cooler?

Back