Google Plans Major Revamp for Search Engine

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google says it is completely revamping its search engine. Either this is going to be great, or everyone is going to hate it.

The web giant has been working on the "next generation of search" over the last couple of years and now it's ready to start rolling it out. Google is about to embark on its biggest renovation in history. In order to keep up with increased competition and new technology, the Web giant is working to keep ahead of the pack by completely revamping its search function.

... all search results are copied to you, sent to some NSA/CIA/FBI data warehouse and then sent to your ISP.

Does this mean that they are going to remove duplicate results as well as spammy/irrelevant results?

Maybe they can block all of those sites that just grab data from other sites.

I have a feeling this is going to be something along the lines of "personalized" search results. Like where they take all that information that no one wants them to collect, but they do anyway, and use that to help filter your search results.

The next innovation in search technology: Google scans your brain and pulls up search results before you even type it in!

Well, it screwed up YouTube. It screwed up Picassa.

May as well make it a Trifecta !

I have a feeling this is going to be something along the lines of "personalized" search results. Like where they take all that information that no one wants them to collect, but they do anyway, and use that to help filter your search results.

I don't need help :)

Yeah, somehow I just feel a lot of these "innovations" will be courtesy of China and the NSA :(.

Once again they will modify how the Search Engine works to hinder people getting access to alternative news sources. They've already changed their algorithms more than once to prevent news sites such as drudge.com and others from making the top searches with embarrassing stories that The Powers That Be do not want covered.

Hopefully they'll change the unexciting search page to something full of colorful squares and rectangles, and make you click on one of them before you can enter the search criteria.

I didn't know it was broke.

It's been broke since corporations and spammers were able to buy top result spots and push relevant results 10 pages later.

Yeah I'm exaggerating, but still :-P

I didn't know it was broke.
When half the results are "ten best [what you searched for]" and "the 25 top [what you searched for]" blog posts (thanks, Mashable), it's kind of broken. In the past six months or so, I've seen these kinds of results beginning to dominate a number of my searches.

The internet changes, people find ways to manipulate search engine data.

The search engine itself has to evolve over time to keep up with technology and meet new demands.

This is what google is doing. Search engine lifetime maintenance and hopefully some new search engine innovation.

their search engine innovation and methods are what got them their top spot all those years back. They need to adapt to stay ahead.

When half the results are "ten best [what you searched for]" and "the 25 top [what you searched for]" blog posts (thanks, Mashable), it's kind of broken. In the past six months or so, I've seen these kinds of results beginning to dominate a number of my searches.

Well those two things... And Google seems to be giving WAY too many links to aggregate sites that just collect data from other websites and post it up on their pages as an incomplete mess.

Instead of the +1 button, I wish Google had a "WTF is this shit" button to rate search results.

The new version, i hear, is guaranteed to deliver NOTHING but relevant ads..

That's all.. no actual content.. But.. You will finally see and add for that George Foreman Grill you have been yearning for, for a decade.. and that add will finally push you over... BWAHAHAHAHA!

Instead of the +1 button, I wish Google had a "WTF is this shit" button to rate search results.
They used to have a Labs experiment for exactly that, but I guess replacing it with the +1 button is what they ended up doing. Annoyingly.

Once again they will modify how the Search Engine works to hinder people getting access to alternative news sources. They've already changed their algorithms more than once to prevent news sites such as drudge.com and others from making the top searches with embarrassing stories that The Powers That Be do not want covered.

They didn't prevent anything. More likely drudge.com just simply didn't get as much interest from users as whatever replaced it. Google is a mirror. If you don't like what it shows, you need to fix society, not Google.

Back