iPad 3 Teardown

HardOCP News

[H] News
The gang at iFixit got their hands on a new iPad and immediately started tearing it apart. So far, no "magic" has been located. ;) Here's a few pictures for those of you that can't access the site.

Also, it always makes me laugh at how small the actual circuitry is compared to the monstrous battery in these devices.

(Note: this is not a bash on Apple or any other manufacturer, just funny how small things could be if battery tech was better)

Magic is like darkness. As soon as the light enters, darkness leaves. Darkness, magic too, is very, very fast; faster than light. I think I read that somewhere in the post, now closed thankfully, about the darkmatter blob confounding experts.

is the ifixit site restricted in some way?
i still cant view it.
makes no sense to post it front page if the site is like this.

iFixit's teardown tools:

6kgGQOlLWZnC1iba.medium

[H]'s tool:

WndRnrF2.jpg

let me know when we see that advanced tech in an apple product

They do offer the current highest pixel/size ratio of any tablet. Not magic, but if you can stand the OS (I personally cannot) the IP3 is certainly no slouch.

let me know when we see that advanced tech in an apple product

No you don't get to say that. Highest resolution BY FAR of any tablet. BUT WAIT, some droid will step it up by 4 pixels and claim to be the best.

No you don't get to say that. Highest resolution BY FAR of any tablet. BUT WAIT, some droid will step it up by 4 pixels and claim to be the best.

Because that's what many companies do, wait for apple to improve on something, then follow suit. I wish I didn't hate IOS so badly... Why oh why can't we get OS X on the damn ipad.

The magic is incompatible with photons and opening the case voids your magicalocityness, it's in the EULA

Because that's what many companies do, wait for apple to improve on something, then follow suit. I wish I didn't hate IOS so badly... Why oh why can't we get OS X on the damn ipad.

You make it seem like apple doesn't copy from its competitors either. All companies do this period.

Makes sense considering the display is manufactured by a company that makes Android devices...

And then Apple will sue because their display has been copied...

Magic

it must be like the magic smoke.

Once you let the magic smoke out of those little silicone chips. There is no no way to put the magic smoke back in. Perhaps in the future.

You make it seem like apple doesn't copy from its competitors either. All companies do this period.

But its the only company that brings people running to point it out, or in this case in a lot of places, saying that it's unnecessary. If it was a Motorola or Samsung device most of them would be saying how it's further proof of the power of Android.

But its the only company that brings people running to point it out, or in this case in a lot of places, saying that it's unnecessary. If it was a Motorola or Samsung device most of them would be saying how it's further proof of the power of Android.

Maybe cause Apple points out that they are the first to do something when they are not? Or maybe its because Apple likes to sue every other company out that has a similar form factor device? meh damn fanbois everywhere.

I disagree. There's lots of examples of excessive technology at expensive prices being denounced by people on this forum. The products don't just have to come from Apple -- They just usually do.

Sony got a lot of slack for its 1080p AMOLED or whatever the tech was called 7" display. Where people were asking what good a AMOLED display was if you could only make it 7" and it costed $4,000.00? People were complaining needs 1080p at 7" at a price point of 4k.

In the case of apple, it's usually not adding something 'new' or 'impressive'. It's adding something every other manfucaturer has had for six months and claiming their device is extra Magical because now it has 'Flash'. Heck, even the iPhone 4s is only 3g while most other companies are 4g. Pretty soon though the iPhone 4GS will come out and OMG ITS MAGICAL/REVOLUTIONARY even though they'd be one of the last companies on the market to produce a 4k phone.

The impressive part about the screen is probably its one of the first times in a while that Apple has been ahead. Except, now people are wondering how ahead a 4k UltraHD screen(practically) on a small tablet is. On a TV, like Samsungs 70" 4k TVs, we can see the need for UltraHD pixel resolution. On a tablet? For what? Watching a 320p/480p youtube video which most videos are? On the offhand your lucky, a 720p/1080p video a few times a month til your bandwidth is quickly abolished?

Maybe cause Apple points out that they are the first to do something when they are not? Or maybe its because Apple likes to sue every other company out that has a similar form factor device? meh damn fanbois everywhere.

Can you imagine what FreeBSD would have to say about any Apple OS in the last 10 years? or the Linux community as a whole about the app store?

I'm glad they're using such a high pixel count screen. Now hopefully we'll see other manufacturers join in on that bandwagon.

I am honestly surprised it wasn't booby trapped with a kill switch that would fry the electronics when opened. Seems like something apple would do.

Can you imagine what FreeBSD would have to say about any Apple OS in the last 10 years? or the Linux community as a whole about the app store?

I'm glad they're using such a high pixel count screen. Now hopefully we'll see other manufacturers join in on that bandwagon.

I'm no Apple fan, but I agree completely. I think its great Apple has pushed companies like Google to create Android, ASUS to create their Zenbooks and Transformers, and Samsung to make their Galaxy phones. As Apple improves their own stuff it just pushes everyone else even harder.

Love or hate Apple, people need to admit some great stuff has been inspired by their products. It just sucks we have lost some great products in the process. For example it drives me nuts how old Creative MP3 players still sound better than ipods and smartphones. :(

I want to see Samsung make a 24"-30" monitor with that kind of pixel density...! Could care less about an iPad.

They do offer the current highest pixel/size ratio of any tablet. Not magic, but if you can stand the OS (I personally cannot) the IP3 is certainly no slouch.

Didn't I read in a article here on [H]ard that Samsung is providing the display? or am I mistaken?

Like any magic trick, a big part of it is gone when you realize its biggest selling point is made by Samsung.

Wanna bet they also think androids OTA update was copied from ios?

I'm no Apple fan, but I agree completely. I think its great Apple has pushed companies like Google to create Android, ASUS to create their Zenbooks and Transformers, and Samsung to make their Galaxy phones. As Apple improves their own stuff it just pushes everyone else even harder.

Love or hate Apple, people need to admit some great stuff has been inspired by their products. It just sucks we have lost some great products in the process. For example it drives me nuts how old Creative MP3 players still sound better than ipods and smartphones. :(

Yea, but you know, I'm one of those people who can remember when computer-hardware websites were all about--perish the thought--computer hardware and software...! Especially about desktop computer hardware--not about portable MP3 players, portable cell phones, and/or portable tablets.

I refuse to believe I am the only one who remembers that era....;) Is there suddenly a dearth of computer hardware and software such that those same web sites today must fill in with examinations of cell phones, MP3 players, and tablets? I really don't think so.

I think that Apple has greatly lowered the lowest common denominator interested in computer technology--and that now we've got a lot of Apple people in the mix who will unabashedly tell you that they don't much care about the hardware they are buying nearly as much as they care about it having an Apple logo on the front. It's the same reason they were always ready to buy Macs whenever Steve Jobs told them to. I'm hard pressed to see that any of this is "progress"--at least for the kinds of *computer* hardware that I am interested in.

Do I really want to buy something for $600-$800 that I have to physically tear up and destroy before I can even attempt to upgrade the hardware components inside? Practically speaking, Apple iPads (doesn't matter which iteration) are throw-away, non-upgradable devices. Is this progress? I don't think so....It seems backwards to me in every respect. Exactly backwards. Is this material really worthy of traditional computer hardware sites? I don't think so.

If they want to, the owners of these sites could start separate "device-related" web sites that have to do with that kind of device--fine--that's what they should do. But in terms of computer hardware and software, I'm pretty sick of Apple having approximately a 5% world-wide market share for its Macs but nevertheless getting >90% of the publicity of the total publicity that is generated by all other products combined! Aren't you?

At least tablets come much closer to actually being "computers" as we have come to appreciate the term over the last several decades. The iPhone and iPod aren't even close in that department, imo.

Who would like to bet me that if the iPhone had not been originally marketed by Apple--but say RIM had marketed it as another of its "smart phones" (Apple has some nerve to accuse any other company of copying)--that we'd hear scant about such a device on what were traditionally "computer hardware" web sites? And if Sony had shipped the iPod, would that have filled page upon page of computer hardware site coverage? And how much coverage would a SamSung iPad tablet have gotten on these sites? As much as Apple? Not on your life.

There are a lot of closet Apple-ites at many web publications these days, and man, have they been having a field day of late in pretending that the only computer technology company that exists is Apple! And yet--here's Apple getting device after device vigorously covered on traditionally computer hardware web sites, when the company has 5% of the world-wide computer market (its Mac), and at a time when the Mac itself is almost completely manufactured for Apple by Intel!--IE, the Mac isn't even an *original* computer--it's an x86 clone manufactured for Apple by Intel--just like every other x86 clone you might name (save those that use AMD, of course.)

And the shame of it all is that what we should be reading about from Apple on these sites are not cell phones or iPods or tablets--but Macs! The shame of it is that even where the Mac itself is concerned, it's given short shrift these days by the traditional computer hardware sites that consider the iPad and the iPhone, a tablet and a cell phone, to be much more interesting, apparently, than the Mac. Not really surprising, since the smallest money-generating department at Apple is the Mac division!

No, I cannot really say that I consider cell phones and iPads and iPods to be representative of progress in the personal-computer marketplace. I don't even see the various markets as being directly comparable. These days, it's really becoming more difficult each day to find people who know the difference between personal computers and cell phones, tablets, and MP3 players. That's not progress--that's driving backwards at 90 m.p.h....;)

I disagree. There's lots of examples of excessive technology at expensive prices being denounced by people on this forum. The products don't just have to come from Apple -- They just usually do.

Sony got a lot of slack for its 1080p AMOLED or whatever the tech was called 7" display. Where people were asking what good a AMOLED display was if you could only make it 7" and it costed $4,000.00? People were complaining needs 1080p at 7" at a price point of 4k.

In the case of apple, it's usually not adding something 'new' or 'impressive'. It's adding something every other manfucaturer has had for six months and claiming their device is extra Magical because now it has 'Flash'. Heck, even the iPhone 4s is only 3g while most other companies are 4g. Pretty soon though the iPhone 4GS will come out and OMG ITS MAGICAL/REVOLUTIONARY even though they'd be one of the last companies on the market to produce a 4k phone.

The impressive part about the screen is probably its one of the first times in a while that Apple has been ahead. Except, now people are wondering how ahead a 4k UltraHD screen(practically) on a small tablet is. On a TV, like Samsungs 70" 4k TVs, we can see the need for UltraHD pixel resolution. On a tablet? For what? Watching a 320p/480p youtube video which most videos are? On the offhand your lucky, a 720p/1080p video a few times a month til your bandwidth is quickly abolished?

Great read.

They'd say "Look, someone finally made a decent Linux GUI!"

:D

/troll

(And yes, I know that FreeBSD is Unix--more or less.)

Anyone remember what phones looked like before the iphone came out? What about mp3 players? itunes store? Tablets? What about these so called "ultrabooks" that looks exactly like a Macbook airs? Surely these guys are not trying to imitate Apple.

Anyone remember what phones looked like before the iphone came out? What about mp3 players? itunes store? Tablets? What about these so called "ultrabooks" that looks exactly like a Macbook airs? Surely these guys are not trying to imitate Apple.

Surely Apple doesn't know how to make a product good enough for the elitists.

The gang at iFixit got their hands on a new iPad and immediately started tearing it apart. So far, no "magic" has been located. ;) Here's a few pictures for those of you that can't access the site.

Good lord that woman has no place infront of a camera. Retarded awkward faces everywhere.

Back