BF3 sli stutter

ep3w

Gawd
Anyone else getting microstutter in BF3? Any fixes? I checked the performance graph and its much smoother without sli, but also kills the framerate. I'm running 2x GTX460 1GB and a 2500k at 5.2Ghz.

w/ sli:
1tvpj6.jpg

w/o sli:
pbtwi.jpg

I just updated to 296.10 released today and that didn't help it at all.

You could be using up all of your VRAM, and that would stutter.

Download Afterburner from MSI website and configure it to show Memory usage like I did if your interested.

I run a 1280x720p resolution and can get over 1000 MB memory consumption.

Medium settings keeps it under 1000 MB for me though.

High or Ultra uses 1GB + for me, but I have a 2000 MB card so doesn't effect my card.

25p6zgw.png

Or it could be just the known microstutter from using SLI.

Most people can't detect that, it's a way-overblown issue. It also wouldn't be obvious when playing, just a lack of smoothness.

As far as the OP, I'd say he's exceeding his VRAM limit and ending up with memory swapping, resulting in visible stutter. More detail would be helpful, however, as to the actual issue.

Try and use a framerate limiter to 60 or lower to try and smooth out the microstuttering issue.

460 doesnt have enough memory to run this game at 1080p with aa at ultra. Personnally i use ultra with no as whatsoever and i get occasional stutter because of the memory. My friend have a 580 with 3gb is its smooth even with 4xAA and 2 460 is about the power of a 580. I suggest you wait for the 680, I am doing that, ill sell one of my 460 and buy a 680, 2gb of ram should be plenty for 1080p and bf3

Yeah, I can vouch for my gear, see below, 2x580 3gb and I haven't had any problems with microstutter. And yes I'll concur with the fella above, wait for the 680's and check them out.

sli and crossfire do not play as well as single gpu end of story. Some ppl don't consider the loss of quality as anything important so they say microstutter is not the problem. Some ppl have higher standards and notice it. Theres nothing you can do about it. crossfire and sli make alot of money for amd and nvidia.

like everyone else suggested, i'd see if you're exceeding your available vram. when i ran 460 SLI i had to keep it under ~950mb usage (as reported in msi afterburner) to avoid stutter in BF3.

This is why I got 560 2GB sli.

Lower your settings until it works out. Even if you are at 950mb, there can still be stuttering. You want settings that never peak 925 or so to be certain.

Hey how do you get that performance graph to show up?????

Without being in the game I beleive if you open the console (~) then type render.perfoverlayvisible 1

As you type you'll see the options pop up.

I've been monitoring the VRAM usage but I've just kept it from being completely maxed out. I'll try lowering settings a bit more and see if it smooths it out or not. In Skyrim when I run out of VRAM its a large noticiable stutter. This is more constant/not big stutters it just isn't smooth. I'll definetly try reducing VRAM useage and see if that helps though.

I've been monitoring the VRAM usage but I've just kept it from being completely maxed out. I'll try lowering settings a bit more and see if it smooths it out or not. In Skyrim when I run out of VRAM its a large noticiable stutter. This is more constant/not big stutters it just isn't smooth. I'll definetly try reducing VRAM useage and see if that helps though.

Let us know :).

It did feel little bit better by reducing settings but it didn't fix it.
Here is with no aa instead of 2x:
14c9y51.jpg

Here is all high settings, you can see its no better here:
etw50n.jpg

Here is a weird glitch where both GPUs were at 50%...:
2zss67c.jpg

I just updated to 296.10 released today and that didn't help it at all.

i upgraded to the 296;10 drivers aswell
and have noticed i get a more constant lower fps aswell
id rather deal with a constant 70fps versus 60-100 fps jumps

i have two 1gbs sli 460s and i would say customize your settings
running at high settings i use almost all my vram on my cards
run at med/high settings and you will find what works best for you

Back