Apple Sued Over Siri

HardOCP News

[H] News
Really? You are going to sue Apple because you believed the Siri commercials? And you want other people to join in your lawsuit? :rolleyes:

The suit alleges that Apple is in violation of the Consumers Legal Remedies Act, California's Unfair Competition Law, is in breach of warranty, and has committed both intentional and negligent misrepresentation. Fazio's attorneys are seeking class action for other iPhone 4S owners, with the claimed end goal of ending Apple's sales of the device, as well as damages.

Siri isn't a substitute for common sense.

When I hear about Siri I keep thinking about that episode on Big Bang Theory when Raj is in love with Siri and finally meets here at the end...

from article said:
"Promptly after the purchase of his iPhone 4S, [Fazio] realized that Siri was not performing as advertised," Fazio's complaint states. "For instance, when [Fazio] asked Siri for directions to a certain place, or to locate a store, Siri either did not understand what Plaintiff was asking, or after a very long wait time, responded with the wrong answer."

It couldn't be that the store simply wasn't on the map, oh no. It totally had to be Apple's fault. I should sue Google because Google Map still shows my car on the driveway of my previous residence from two years ago, not my new house.

I'm going to sue the Scrubbing Bubbles company. I squirted the whole bottle in my toilet and at no point did little scrubbing bubbles come to life and clean my crapper.

132882545869.jpg

I kinda agree with this guy. Where is the line with false advertisement? It seems like companies can say whatever they want about their product these days

I kinda agree with this guy. Where is the line with false advertisement? It seems like companies can say whatever they want about their product these days

To be honest I kind of do too. Having some knowledge of voice command use (seeing as how Android had it for ages before Apple decided to invent it) I was pretty damn amazed at how it was portrayed in advertising and was pretty sure there was absolutely no way it worked that well at this point in time. Some hands on confirmed what I thought.

A quick search couldn't find it, but weren't they also in some trouble for showing an Iphone or an Ipad working significantly faster in an ad than was possible on the actual device? It sounds like they need a lesson on why it's bad to mislead consumers.

I mean seriously watch this ad:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcWzMTTde2M

If you have an Iphone would asking several of those questions actually net a useful result?

Also this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnUg_qfEarg&feature=related

They seem to not show the users having to repeat themselves 3 times and then give up and do it manually because SIRI can't understand them, which happens frequently.

Last edited:
As fun as it is to watch Apple get slapped upside the head with a lawsuit I have to side with Apple on this one.

In the words of the great George Carlin (RIP good sir): "People are fucking stupid!"

This isn't anything new. Apple got fined for false advertizing with the earlier iPhone ads in the EU (showing things happening "really fast" and general lies as per usual). Those siri ads were again complete bullshit and nothing like the real product, so naturally.

This is exactly why commercials have a ton of fine/small print on them. Like the car commercials having to say professional driver on closed course, etc. With the cell phones, I see lots of fine print like sequences shortened, etc. Is there any fine print on the commercials that show Siri being used?

Guess this guy needs to sue the Big Bang Theory show/network for their portrayal of Siri in that one episode LOL.

While I agree that it's wrong for companies to over sensationalize their products and Apple is definitely guilty of this, I don't believe in frivolous lawsuit's either. This is definitely frivolous and someone trying to make a buck. That being said, I think Apple should be warned or fined for over sensationalizing their product. I don't think people are stupid for believing the commercials, but maybe a little naive. If they don't have a grasp on technology, they may be easily fooled and disappointed.

Maybe he's just a troll who likes to sue companies? You never know.

That said, I'm sure there is a combination of factors going on here. Apple over-exaggerates Siri's capabilities + stupid consumers.

Maybe he's just a troll who likes to sue companies? You never know.

That said, I'm sure there is a combination of factors going on here. Apple over-exaggerates Siri's capabilities + stupid consumers.

He is a troll. Further in the article it was mentioned that he also wish to charge Apple with Siri causing people to exceed their monthly bandwidth allotment as demonstrated by Ars Technia. Who is he that he can just go online and look for faults and make the lawsuits himself? If he really cared about companies making exaggerated claims, he would hire a class action lawyer or demand that strict advertisement laws are made in general. Not single Apple out based on other people's findings.

Alongside claims that Apple misrepresented the feature to would-be buyers, the lawsuit claims that using Siri "dramatically increases an iPhone 4S user's monthly data usage, and can easily push users over their data plans"
Someone put a bullet to me.

Occasional lawsuits are necessary to prevent advertising from going too far down the road of outright lies in their TV spots. Many of the fine print in advertising is specifically because people got sued for showing things that weren't strictly true. A lot of the Apple and other cellphone commercials I see on TV have the "sequences shortened" commentary in them precisely because it isn't going to happen exactly per the commercial. If Apple flubbed and didn't include them in some commercials then they're at fault.

After all, there's a whole lot of people out there, including most of the people that write and uphold the laws, that don't have a clue how most of the technology they use works. Most of them buy based on a commercial, not based on careful and methodical research of the product.

Apple's advertising is false. Sure, you and I know it's false. But, remember that Apple's customers are short on sense. ("Really, I can spend twice as much for half as much? Who'd pass that up?")

This could end up like the Honda Civic Hybrid which over-promised in its commercial and has now pending thousands of legal suits! When you create a commercial of a product wrapped in "gold" but delivered as "brass" the conclusion of the transaction will surely conclude at the Judge's hand and not at the register!

Guy is probably somewhat of a troll, but I agree that companies get away with too much shit in advertising these days. If they are demonstrating a product in a way that is not actually possible in order to get people to buy it, then there's a problem. I guess if it takes litigation to alleviate or fix the problem, then so be it.

Most of them buy based on a commercial, not based on careful and methodical research of the product.

Only a fool would make purchasing decisions based on the testimony of the company manufacturing the product. Do you really think that the product maker would tell you that their product is crap and overpriced?

After all, there's a whole lot of people out there, including most of the people that write and uphold the laws, that don't have a clue how most of the technology they use works. Most of them buy based on a commercial, not based on careful and methodical research of the product.

Exactly. Here's the commercial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ciagGASro0

If I were naive of Apple's scams, I'd run out and buy an iPad because the commercial presents it as a brilliant assistant, which easily understands what people are saying (even while jogging) and easily provides exactly what's being asked for. No disclaimers.

I'm going to sue the Scrubbing Bubbles company. I squirted the whole bottle in my toilet and at no point did little scrubbing bubbles come to life and clean my crapper.

On a serious note...Pretty much everything I use to clean the shower and toilets are Scrubbing Bubbles products. They work pretty damn good even without the little living bubble people. :)

Only a fool would make purchasing decisions based on the testimony of the company manufacturing the product. Do you really think that the product maker would tell you that their product is crap and overpriced?

Sounds like a lot of people who buy stuff from Apple.

If you are on this forum, there is a large chance you are a technician, for family or a business.
Now tell me that people aren't without common sense. I mean who are you trying to fool. The average person that uses technology, is incapable of using it correctly. Every person I know blindly buys technology unless they think to double check if it's good. Which is just a phone call to me.

I remember one Siri commercial with Santa Claus in it...they better not have been making that shit up!

If you are on this forum, there is a large chance you are a technician, for family or a business.
Now tell me that people aren't without common sense. I mean who are you trying to fool. The average person that uses technology, is incapable of using it correctly. Every person I know blindly buys technology unless they think to double check if it's good. Which is just a phone call to me.

Valid as all heck. I've had to convince some members of my family that ... NO ... they do not need a damned iPhone (or any smartphone) because they barely use their basic cellphone that they have. And, since they couldn't answer the question about what they felt they needed it for ... the answer for me was simple ... don't buy one. Basically, I got the impression they were going to get the iPhone instead of an iPod which was the stupidest thing in the world since they planned to let their 3 year old and 6 year old kids play games on the iPod ... and drop it or toss it across the room when they get angry. Once I explained the stupidity of having your kids play games on your only cellphone they changed their mind.

But, they were fully prepared to go buy an iPhone and primarily use it to let their kids play games on it ... all because of the commercials.

I tend to lean to this being a bit excessive. However in general there needs to be tighter controls over how companies can advertise their products. There are loads of examples where the advertising is just flagrantly false and misleading and that should be stopped. Apple is likely at fault here for being rather misleading with their ads, but that I am not so certain dictates a lawsuit.

False advertising - simple as that, it is illegal, period.. people SHOULD be able to buy a product based on a truthful advertisement, not a fluffed up piece.

OMG the funny part is with some of them crazy ass laws out there. He stands a chance of winning. I really hope this guy wins. Not because I dislike the iphone but because Apple deserves a taste of what they serve out.

i like the one where the kid asks if it looks like it will snow and none of the temps Siri shows him is less than 34 degrees - hardly snow weather

and lawsuits like this is why there's a warning label on my clothes iron telling you NOT to iron your clothes while wearing them. Can't we let natural selection do it's thing? :D

I'd say that this guy has no chance of winning if it weren't for him being in California.

Back