PowerColor LCS Radeon HD 7970 3GB

HardOCP News

[H] News
There is a review of the PowerColor LCS Radeon HD 7970 3GB posted this morning at Overclockers Club that is worth the click to head on over and check out.

Since the PowerColor LCS HD 7970 is liquid-cooled, I cranked the voltage up to 1300mv and let it rip. Any lower and the clock speeds would suffer. The higher voltage and frequency only impacted the load temperatures by 2 ºC, coming in at 44 ºC, validating PowerColor's claim to less than a 50 ºC load temperature. By overclocking, there were significant gains to be had in performance in all the games tested, making it a worthwhile endeavor.

What a pity they don't supply it with a radiator and pump attached like the PNY Geforce 580.

(I note that the article to which that thread refers has been pulled - what gives?)

What a pity they don't supply it with a radiator and pump attached like the PNY Geforce 580.

Power color is targeting an entirely different market than PNY. That 580 is a fully self contained solution whereas this Gfx card is designed to be plugged into a larger water cooling loop. Integrating that 580, or other self contained solutions, into a larger loop would require slicing off some of the tubing and most likely the pump and/or radiator.

It would be nice to see some self contained 7970s, but that will most likely need to wait for the Sapphire Atomic.

Yeah, this is a full water block cooling the gpu, memory, AND vrms. All into a water cooling setup, not just a little gpu cooler itself.

If I remember right, the pny still needed the fan to cool the other components.

From the article:

the PowerColor LCS HD 7970 comes in at about $200 more than the retail pricing of several of the factory overclocked cards on the market.

Actual retail cost would have been a lot more helpful. If they are asking $800+ for these I think a lot of their target market will pass.

ugh, their website is awful.

I also don't see where "significant gains to be had in performance" were had...

"$799.99 at the egg."
What is with a one year warranty then add 100$ more for an extra 2yrs. I guess if you have to list the card at 899$ it might seem a little steep. Personally I find it hard to justify buying a product off the shelf, such as a tv worth 3000$ with a one yr warranty or even this vid card. I would rather the full three year warranty be included in the price, then have a salesmen ask me if I want to pay $ for more warranty. For me it turns me off. I'd rather see the highest price with the best warranty when making a purchasing decision. Saves me time so I don't have to find a salesmen.

$799.99 at the egg.

Well they won't have to worry about running out of stock. You would think that with the buying in bulk discount they are getting from EK they would at the very least be in the price range of a retail GPU + retail EK water block. Instead, AFAICT they are charging a $125+ premium to a target market of people like me who will see no benefit whatsoever for the price premium.

You could buy or build a WCing loop for the extra money this costs. I've never had to exercise a GPU warranty (knock on wood) so that is a risk I'd be willing to take.

Back