27" IPS 2560x1440 monitor~90hz <$400 FS

The only things that bothered me was the warranty and it is coming from overseas. If something happened, I'm sure you aren't going to try and ship a monitor back across to get it fixed. And they was some complaints about dust under the lcd and some dead pixels. If i'm not mistaken, they said it had to be 10 dead pixels before they would even bother worrying with it. But it is a good buy but scary at the same time. Thanks

SquareTrade will cover this, so if you're willing to spend the $70 or so after tax for the 3 year SquareTrade warranty it's still a deal. I bought the warranty but am seriously considering canceling it because the thing is LED backlit and I can just get a new PSU myself if it dies (it's external, which is a definite plus).

The dust under the glass is usually on the screens with tempered glass. Haven't heard any dust problems for the screen without tempered. From what people can tell, they're off brand Hazro.

Last edited:
Which is one is generally regarded the better monitor? The achieva or CATLEAP?

Which is one is generally regarded the better monitor? The achieva or CATLEAP?

Catleap is the one that can hit 90Hz, the Achieva can only hit about 70Hz but has the better stand; if you look at the pictures in the threads you'll notice the Catleap one actually sags down on the right side/items keeping it propped up.

Catleap is the one that can hit 90Hz, the Achieva can only hit about 70Hz but has the better stand; if you look at the pictures in the threads you'll notice the Catleap one actually sags down on the right side/items keeping it propped up.
I keep seeing different refresh numbers being thrown around so let's set the record straight:

The Catleap Q270 will hit 85hz with ATIcards, and it will hit 100hz with Nvidia cards, use ToastyX's method and you're all set.
You can get this one for $370 shipped from a proven seller.

The Achieva-Shimian will hit between 65hz to 70hz but we're not sure what is causing the limitations between different setups. $388 shipped is the lowest price from a proven seller.

There is a $435 model with a scaler and multi-inputs (hdmi upscaled and dual-link dvi) but it will have more input lag, likely double.

There are other tempered glass models which sounds like a nice idea but it adds an additional layer, and most of them have dust behind the glass, so think twice before choosing tempered glass.

The one merchant known as "Dream-seller" is willing to check for dead or stuck pixels for an additional $30 fee, message him for details before purchasing, just to be sure.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I keep seeing different refresh numbers being thrown around so let's set the record straight:

The Catleap Q270 will hit 85hz with ATIcards, and it will hit 100hz with Nvidia cards, use ToastyX's method and you're all set.
You can get this one for $370 shipped from a proven seller.

The Achieva-Shimian will hit between 65hz to 70hz but we're not sure what is causing the limitations between different setups. $388 shipped is the lowest price from a proven seller.

There is a $435 model with a scaler and multi-inputs (hdmi, dvi) but it will have more input lag, likely double.

There are tempered glass models which sounds like a nice idea but it adds an additional layer, and most of them have have dust behind the glass, so think twice before choosing tempered glass.

double the input lag?! damit >_> and dust behind glass aww--

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
double the input lag?! damit >_> and dust behind glass aww--
Dust only on the tempered glass model, not the base models the OP and myself linked.

As for input lag, you are going from no input lag on the regular models (1/2 frame, maybe less) to some input lag ( 1 to 1 1/2 frames) on the scaler multi-input version, which isn't too bad.

Last edited:
HNNNNNNNNNnnnnggggggg

I really wish I could get one of these.... but no money.... and other priorities....

Do you have to pay return shipping if you got a bad one?

Is the Catleap a tempered glass or not?

Hum.

Thought I would mention this.

* Plug type is C for Korea. So, you need to have a multi plug or voltage transformer for your contry plug type and voltage. *

Apparently the one merchant called "Dream-seller" is willing to check for dead pixels for an additional $30 fee, just message him for details before purchasing just to be sure.

I'd only recommend that service for fanatics though, after all the pixels are tiny, and not many people are getting dead or stuck pixels to begin with.

I'm soooo tempted to snag 3 for eyefinity if there was a native DP model instead of D-DVI... Hell just get one Squaretrade Warranty to cover all three and save even more!

I swear if I hadn't just bought a 5th wheel, like white on rice...

I remember reading the jumbo thread, someone mentioned the squaretrade wouldn't work since it's a warranty meant to cover a product in Korea? Has this been debunked or confirmed?

Also, the catleap model with the scaler has also not been confirmed to be able to reach over 60hz yet either. That's what I am ultimately waiting on, that and input lag test, before I pull any trigger.

someone called SQ directly and as long as they are new units, which the listing says they are New, then SQ will cover them.

And yes, both are VESA but the Catleap one you must break a plastic cover off to reach the mounting holes.

This is really tempting... I've been eyeing the 27" Apple for a while now since that's pretty much the only glossy 27" IPS available... until this. The QC issues worry me though. I'd gladly pay $200-300 extra for a similar monitor sold by a US company.

This is really tempting... I've been eyeing the 27" Apple for a while now since that's pretty much the only glossy 27" IPS available... until this. The QC issues worry me though. I'd gladly pay $200-300 extra for a similar monitor sold by a US company.

Well $300 puts you in $670 range... you could potentially get something like a refurb Dell U2711 or HP ZR2740w for around there. I don't remember if either of these is glossy, though. (personally I don't really like glossy)

Well $300 puts you in $670 range... you could potentially get something like a refurb Dell U2711 or HP ZR2740w for around there. I don't remember if either of these is glossy, though. (personally I don't really like glossy)

I would've bought either of them a long time ago if they were glossy - or even if either of their antiglare coatings weren't so grainy. Currently I've got an NEC 20WMGX2, and after getting used to that, nothing really looks quite as good. I'm just really craving high res now. Heck, I probably would've broken down and bought the Apple display by now if my video card worked with it (1GB 5870 here)

I would've bought either of them a long time ago if they were glossy - or even if either of their antiglare coatings weren't so grainy. Currently I've got an NEC 20WMGX2, and after getting used to that, nothing really looks quite as good. I'm just really craving high res now. Heck, I probably would've broken down and bought the Apple display by now if my video card worked with it (1GB 5870 here)

WHEW. I was right about to buy this thing until I read Terra's post.
I've had some cash burning a hole in my pocket; good thing I didn't follow through with the purchase.
DAMN! I was looking for a cheap alternative to go for a higher res monitor <.<

WHEW. I was right about to buy this thing until I read Terra's post.
I've had some cash burning a hole in my pocket; good thing I didn't follow through with the purchase.
DAMN! I was looking for a cheap alternative to go for a higher res monitor <.<

He was talking about the Apple display, not these ones.

Hhrrrrmmm, really? I saw on a thread here that these displays don't work with 5870's anyways <.<

I would suggest potential buyers not worry about the added cost of a warranty for the simple fact, most repair shops are going to be able to fix your problem much cheaper. I recently had a 24" LCD fixed for $40 dollars. Of course, YMMV. Any shipping costs, warranty costs and not even taking into account the unknowns, I just don't see the value of adding on even more costs on top of $375+. I think this is an excellent monitor but the value will go out the window if all of a sudden your $375 investment turns into a $500 investment. Pay the $375 and enjoy the monitor. If something happens down the road, and chances are, it could be years before you do, you should will get a solid 4 to 5+ years and probably much longer out of this product. If not, just get it fixed locally much cheaper. My 2 cents. Of course this is an individual decision that no one else can make for you.

Last edited:
I don't know why I keep checking this area of the forum. It'll f'in ruin me.

Just got me 2 Catleap Q270's to make my 7970 sweat a bit.

Btw. does anyone know if the Ivy Bridge integrated gfx (HD4000) supports Dual Link DVI ?

I'm working on bringing in some of these to the USA to offer a warranty and better support.
stay tuned..

C

Back