Wikipedia Finally Moved Away From GoDaddy

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like Jimmy Wales has made good on his promise to dump GoDaddy for supporting SOPA. Who knew a site as big as Wikipedia used GoDaddy? :confused:

The Wikimedia Foundation, making good on a Dec. 23 promise by Jimmy Wales during the height of the anti-SOPA firestorm, has publicly announced it is transferring all of its domain names from GoDaddy to MarkMonitor as punishment for GoDaddy's early support of the failed anti-piracy legislation.

GoDaddy sucks anyways.

Who wants to run a professional site with a company who thinks beats and bottoms seem important?

Really? No wonder they need millions to support their infrastructure. GD is a pile of dogshit wrapped in a dogshit tortilla with shredded dogshit cheese and some dogshit salsa.

Really? No wonder they need millions to support their infrastructure. GD is a pile of dogshit wrapped in a dogshit tortilla with shredded dogshit cheese and some dogshit salsa.

Wikimedia doesn't *run* on GoDaddy they where just using it for the domain name services.

I am extremely happy that they moved away. Good riddance GoDaddy.

I never liked godaddy, couldn't understand why they supported sopa too...

I hate dealing with GoDaddy's abuse department, bunch of derps...cocky derps at that. Why it takes an ISP 7 days and two lawyers to take down a phishing site is beyond me.

Just can't please some people. They reversed their stance and people still cry.

GoDaddy still sucked ass with or without SOPA. SOPA just made douche bags look like fucking asshole douche bags.

Awesome. I'm guessing they started this process a while back but domain transfers can be a pita and have wait periods and other red tape making it a slow process. I remember when Its Your Domain turned into Hover, and it sucked so bad I transfered out. Took months.

My site dropped Godaddy a while back over SOPA. Glad to see Wikipedia keeping good on its word.

I always thought go daddy was a shit bag company anyway, they really help propogate IT industry sexism stereotypes through their commercials. My wifes in IT, my boss is a woman too....makes it kind of hard to recommend them even if I was inclined too.

I always thought go daddy was a shit bag company anyway, they really help propogate IT industry sexism stereotypes through their commercials. My wifes in IT, my boss is a woman too....makes it kind of hard to recommend them even if I was inclined too.

C'mon, hate on them all you want, but leave their sexy commercials out of it! :D

GoDaddy sucks anyways.

Who wants to run a professional site with a company who thinks beats and bottoms seem important?
Because clearly, your customers will run whois to see who your registrar is before they do business with you. :rolleyes:

Registrars help you register domain names. In practical terms it is irrelevant which one you are with as you only interact with them once every 10 years per domain name you own.

The whole "anti godaddy campain" is just a bunch of bandwagoneers who want to be on the perceived cool-train.

So is it then fair to assume that you also refuse to do business with any other company that uses sex appeal in advertising, or are you just being a hypocrite when it comes to GoDaddy?

GoDaddy doesn't even own server farms. They are a middle man that rents server farms and then ups the price to you.

Then what's the point of those actions if the company reversed it's decision and people still keep bitching?

Why did they do it in the first place? If it takes the consumer to rally against a company's bad policy, all amounts of complaints are valid, till there is valid reason to believe otherwise.

So far, GoDaddy has been the scum of the internet long before SOPA. This only continued and reaffirmed what we already know of GoDaddy.

Now, if you don't like it, then quit bitching and moaning yourself. ;)

Please :rolleyes: They did no such thing, just because they quickly said "oh no we changed our mind we don't support it anymore" after the initial backlash does not mean they reversed their stance.

Please :rolleyes: They did no such thing, just because they quickly said "oh no we changed our mind we don't support it anymore" after the initial backlash does not mean they reversed their stance.

Yeah actually it means exactly that. If they officially reverse their policy how can you say otherwise? Even if every single person in charge of godaddy is in favor of SOPA if the companies decision is to not support it then shut the fuck up about it, otherwise you're just being a hypocrite and making everyone look bad.

This is why nobody takes boycotters and protesters seriously. Even if you give them exactly what they want they are not happy. Its never enough no matter what you do because you dared to disagree with them in the first place.

So why the fuck should any company cave to community pressure considering that even if they give in nothing changes? :rolleyes:

The idea of these movements is supposed to be to get change then once the change is made you embrace and support them not keep going on about it. Somewhere along the line this has been forgotten by this generation of self righteous, self entitled little babies.

Back