The TSA Responds To Body Scanner Security Flaw

HardOCP News

[H] News
Earlier today, some guy posted a video showing a huge security hole in those TSA body scanners. The video is a bit hard to watch because the guy kinda sounds like a nutjob but, what he discovered is pretty damn shocking. So, you'd think the TSA would issue a statement disputing this...right? Nope. This is what they had to say:

A video is making its way around the interwebs this morning from some guy claiming he figured out a way to beat our body scanners (imaging technology). I watched the video and it is a crude attempt to allegedly show how to circumvent TSA screening procedures.

Did they just say "interwebs?" An official response from the TSA and this is all they can come up with? BTW, it's intarwebs you n00bs.

No rebuttal at all in that response. Guess the loophole is factual.

I'm glad that those scanners have a flaw this large. Fuck the TSA.

As much as I think the TSA is full of crap, could they not just scan you sideways?

I've read these articles with interest. It explains why the TSA agent felt my sides 2 weeks ago when I travelled.

Flying today is such a freaking hassle, unless you own your own plane. Get to the airport an hour early, 2 hours for international flight. Take off your belt, shoes and empty your pockets and liquids unless they're under 3 measly ounces. Have everything you're with scanned, including your body. Oh and you may be patted down as well.

Between this shit and the Patriot Act and the shit that's going on on the web with domain seizures. They're putting camera's on every street corner. WTH is going on. PWNED by our government.

This is why I prefer a 5 hour train to a 1 hour plane: it will be 5 hours where I'm comfortably seated, not 1 hour flight + 2 hours waiting.

(Not American by the way, I'm pretty sure the TSA would make me rage so much I would become a terrorist.)

The guy might be a nut job, but he is making a stand at least. That is something I cannot claim to be doing with this false security agency.

A comment that probably won't get approved

A blog post is making its way around the internet today by some idiot in picking up an undeserved government paycheck in which the internet is refered to as the "interwebs", and yet this is somehow the most inteligent part of the blog.

Maybe its because I'm a geek and look harmless, they always just let me pass through metal detector and don't even pat me down or anything at that very same airport. I'll wear a turban next time.

What is the point of the TSA? With the goverment in huuuge debts, why not just dump a pointless orginization that provides no safety for anyone, while doing illegal things. everyone who came up with these machines, uses them or helped bring them about needs to go to jail for a very very long time along with all the other corrupt officials and bodies. :p

What is the point of the TSA? With the goverment in huuuge debts, why not just dump a pointless orginization that provides no safety for anyone, while doing illegal things. everyone who came up with these machines, uses them or helped bring them about needs to go to jail for a very very long time along with all the other corrupt officials and bodies. :p

The point? On the surface, maintaining the illusion of Security Theater. On the down low, perpetuating the money flows of the Military-Industrial Complex.

The amount of professionalism in TSA's response is annoying. It indicates to me that the guy was correct. Heck, he even demonstrated it.

it is like the person who found that if you use a pancake strapped to yourself, it wont detect it either, so you could place drugs or what ever with in the pancake and get through fine

Well I'll give you that his comb over is a bit much but what about him made him "sound a bit like a nutjob" to you? I thought he was very distinct and clear in what he was saying. Was it being critical of the government that made him sound like a nutjob? My point being that there is a lot of societal pressure that anyone being critical of the government is a wacko, crazy, tinfoil hat wearing, conspiracy theorist. Whereas governments who have been caught numerous times outright lying to their populations are taken seriously because they are an "authority" themselves or put forth "authority" figures in the given field of discussion. Even though they get caught in lies over and over again. Guess we as United States citizens have grown to have a very short attention span in that respect or the media hammers you with much more force on stories that don't really matter.

Interwebs is suburban slang. What do you expect from the people who's leaders think they know how computers work, when they really dont. They are going to sound stupid because they speak out of willful ignorance.

Another solution for getting guns through the metal detectors. Get a skirt steak or any cut of meat big enough to cover a gun and wrap it in plastic wrap and plastic wrap the gun hidden by the meat around your body. The TSA scanner sees flesh and that is it, it has been tested several times and there were vids on youtube but they seem to have been pulled.

Between this shit and the Patriot Act and the shit that's going on on the web with domain seizures. They're putting camera's on every street corner. WTH is going on. PWNED by our government.

well, but someone voted for this government. as long as there is no public discussion about wtf is wrong with all this, they will do what they or various lobbyists want. see sopa. public outcry, immediately dropped (for now). if people actually opposed this kind of crap, it wouldn't exist.

Well I'll give you that his comb over is a bit much but what about him made him "sound a bit like a nutjob" to you? I thought he was very distinct and clear in what he was saying. Was it being critical of the government that made him sound like a nutjob? My point being that there is a lot of societal pressure that anyone being critical of the government is a wacko, crazy, tinfoil hat wearing, conspiracy theorist. Whereas governments who have been caught numerous times outright lying to their populations are taken seriously because they are an "authority" themselves or put forth "authority" figures in the given field of discussion. Even though they get caught in lies over and over again. Guess we as United States citizens have grown to have a very short attention span in that respect or the media hammers you with much more force on stories that don't really matter.

You know better. Anyone who speaks out against the Government, the Patriot Act and the loss of liberties is a filthy, filthy commie, a traitor and a nutjob.

P.S.: The guy who exposed this is an engineer. Yeah, really nutjob material.

You know better. Anyone who speaks out against the Government, the Patriot Act and the loss of liberties is a filthy, filthy commie, a traitor and a nutjob.

Tea Party people have been speaking out against the government and loss of liberties, so have a lot of conservative pundits. That means you left out hatemongers, racists, and idiots among the labels there.

P.S.: The guy who exposed this is an engineer. Yeah, really nutjob material.
Engineers are smart. Smart people are dangerous to the establishment. Dangerous people must be discredited and "dealt with". That's how control is maintained.

This is why I prefer a 5 hour train to a 1 hour plane: it will be 5 hours where I'm comfortably seated, not 1 hour flight + 2 hours waiting.

Actually, the TSA is planning to expand to cover trains the same way they do air travel.

The problem with TSA and government, in general, is that their interface with the public is all wrong. They need to only hire hot looking chicks, especially TSA screeners.

The flaw has been known since the scanners were introduced. It's great that the guy demonstrated that the scanners still don't work.

Security and dinner theater, except no liquids over 100ml please.

Flying today is such a freaking hassle, unless you own your own plane. Get to the airport an hour early, 2 hours for international flight. Take off your belt, shoes and empty your pockets and liquids unless they're under 3 measly ounces. Have everything you're with scanned, including your body. Oh and you may be patted down as well.

Just remember, the terrorist didn't win!

Remember when 9/11 happened and we were told to continue our way of life, and if we change the way we live the terrorists have won? .... well I guess they won.

OMG what will we do! what will we do!

( fiddles with the background color to create a different contrast....)

done! one more overblown non-issue solved!

wow, fly much? I do, 6-8 times a year cross country (USA) I can be thru that line in 5 minutes putting on my shoes on a bench OUTSIDE the TSA perimeter, NOT including the que of unprepared fools who did not bring baggied liquids/gels, brought to much liquids/gels, can't put their crap in a plastic bin, can't remove their shoes, can't find thier ID or gate pass, can't remove their crap from a bin, INSIST on standing in front of you at the end of the roller ramp and put on their shoes and coat and rummage thru their pockets. instead of COLLECT YOUR CRAP and MOVE ON!

I am all for preventing airplanes from being blown up. It's the herding ignorant arrogant cows thru a line thats screwed up.

I trust the word of a blogger over anything the TSA says - especially when it's in the TSA's self interest to push this shit no matter the cost or effectiveness.

Uncontrolled search and seizure is one of the first and most effective weapons in the arsenal of every arbitrary government. Among deprivations of rights, none is so effective in cowing a population, crushing the spirit of the individual and putting terror in every heart.

Justice Robert Jackson, chief U.S. prosecutor at the Nuremberg Trials

I will not subject myself nor my family to needless radiation exposure nor TSA molestation. My family and I will not be flying until the TSA changes these procedures.

I will not be flying until the TSA changes these procedures.

bingo

I have declined paying work and over the top recreation because I refuse to submit to this

guess I'm a nutjob too

Back