AMD Catalyst 12.2 Are Now Available

HardOCP News

[H] News
AMD has just released the new Catalyst 12.2 for Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Linux platforms. Highlights of the new Catalyst 12.2 drivers are:

Windows 7 and Windows Vista support for the AMD Radeon HD 7900 and HD 7770 Series

• Enables support for Windows 7 64-bit/32-bit and Windows Vista 64-bit/32-bit
  • Windows XP support will be made available in AMD Catalyst 12.4

Super Sampling Anti-Aliasing is now available for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications

• Supported on the AMD Radeon HD 7900 and AMD Radeon HD 7770 Series
  • Users can now enable Super Sample Anti-Aliasing and Adaptive Anti-Aliasing through the AMD Catalyst™ Control Center for DirectX® 10 and DirectX® 11 applications.
  • Applications must support in game Anti-Aliasing for the feature to work (Forced on Anti-Aliasing through the Catalyst Control Center is not supported for DirectX 10 and DirectX 11 applications)

AMD Eyefinity 2.1 technology enhancements

• Custom resolutions – users can now choose from a much larger set of display resolutions for their AMD Eyefinity configurations
  • Dynamic Configuration Changes: Switching between different display configurations (when physically plugging/un-plugging displays) will occur automatically by loading the appropriate profile
  • Taskbar Positioning: The Windows Taskbar can now be moved and resized based on users preference
  • Profile Manager improvements: Users can now create multiple Display profiles, enabling users to seamlessly switch between various AMD Eyefinity and Display Configurations

Boo, 12.2 or even the beta 12.4 still crashes W7 Sp1 at random intervals for me.

Welp, no reason for me to update my 6950's to this. I'm really hoping they bring the Super-Sampling support to us. This is pretty much the official 7900 series support.

i doubt it will be backported...

it will most likely become a selling feature of the 7xxx series...

Still hoping (probably in futility) for support for eye-finity groups mating displays of different sizes and orientations.

The first GPU company to come out with this feature will have me sold on their product immediately.

So tired of having to use SoftTH.

Zarathustra[H];1038467582 said:
Still hoping (probably in futility) for support for eye-finity groups mating displays of different sizes and orientations.

The first GPU company to come out with this feature will have me sold on their product immediately.

Me too, I bought their marking slide hook line and sinker and they still haven't delivered.

EyefinityBezelcomp.png

AMD is getting lazy.

If you are smart, you will follow this rule with AMD drivers..."If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." I'm using the "beta" drivers that came with the card (CD). Good performance, no crashes, no stutters. I'm not going to risk that just to update my drivers. GL to those who do the update!

Zarathustra[H];1038467582 said:

I know how you feel.

PLP 20-30-20 is perfect.

dont hold your breath...

mixed resolutions would require the game to support it since eyefinity is based on an "overall" resolution rather than the resolution of the individual screens..

although someway of controlling the pixel pitch of the individual scrrens might work...

Anyone try AB or Trixx with these? I doubt they are different from the pre-certs which broke AB/Trixx. Yes, I'm aware of the work-around, just wanted to know if AMD fixed what they broke.

Anyone try AB or Trixx with these? I doubt they are different from the pre-certs which broke AB/Trixx. Yes, I'm aware of the work-around, just wanted to know if AMD fixed what they broke.

good question, can't try till later though.

Well who's gonna be the guienna pig and try these new drivers? As Digital Viper-X- asked.. are they the exact same as the 12.2 pre certs that sucked bung? I'm still running the RC11 and am not having issues at all. No rush for me to update at all. None of the "fixes" listed impact me at all.

dont hold your breath...

mixed resolutions would require the game to support it since eyefinity is based on an "overall" resolution rather than the resolution of the individual screens..

although someway of controlling the pixel pitch of the individual scrrens might work...

The game does not need to support as it would not work in HTSoft otherwise.

nothing in the release notes seems to affect me. Since my system is running fine I'll just stay with what I've got for now.

Yup, these drivers are the same steaming pile as the 12.2 Pre-Certs (Which was to be expected).

im pretty sure that takes pieces of the image away, sort of like overscan...

Its no different than bezel compensation of adding non rendered pixels.

The biggest monitor gives you your height and the you take the total width of all monitors together and then you get your res 0000x0000 .

1920x1080 1920x1200 1920x1080= 5760x3360 but you cant have that so you do 5760x3600= 3x1920x1200 its just that only 1080 will be actually rendered on the side monitors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8P7RLy68n4&feature=related All he had to do is raise the smaller monitors up to have the shown parts line up.

Last edited:
Taskbar Positioning: The Windows Taskbar can now be moved and resized based on users preference

Does this mean it'd be possible to stay in eyefinity? I like to have my middle monitor as master, so I usually switch out of EF to do work. But because the EF profiles were so erractic (rarely reapplying the right settings), I gave up on EF altogether.

162MB? Weren't they under 100MB just a couple releases ago? Good gawd... They really need to do something about that. Don't they know how expensive hard drives are these days? Cripes, I might have to backup my Rage Pro drivers to DVD soon :(

Edit: I guess it was 4 versions ago that were under 100MB. ha...

No gains, my Tri-Fire is still Borked in games like Crysis2, F1-2011, Batman. So basically AMD told me to suck a Big Dick on this driver release. Maybe we will get great drivers the week before Nvidias cards come out.

i like the bit about the windows 7 taskbar.. anyone know how well this works?

not sure what version i'm running with my 5870 but i'm excited they have a fix in there for the stretched windows 7 taskbar in eyefinity resolution

The interesting thing is - if you go to AMD's main page and do a driver search for 7xxx series cards, it still takes you to the KB for the RC11 driver.

Maybe they just forgot to update that, but seems strange they aren't redirecting to the WHQL one yet..

does Afterburner not work with this driver like the pre certs didn't?

That garbage fix of installing over the old drivers was terrible

im pretty sure that takes pieces of the image away, sort of like overscan...

It can, if you set SoftTH up like that. It's fairly easy to change it to fit/stretch the image to the actual resolution of the side monitors though. I had two 1280x1024 monitors to the side of a 1920x1200 monitor, so I did 1600x1200 - 1920x1200 - 1600x1200, and had the two sides scale to 1280x1024. No missing pixels, looked like it should.

Of course that introduces problems with mismatched geometry when the screens aren't the same height, but as I never actually looked at the side monitors and used them as strictly peripheral vision, it didn't bother me personally too much.

well, yes, of course u can do it with mismacthed geomety, but the point is to have it match the geometry...

Wow.. pretty sweet if i can finally use a newer driver set with Quad 7970s in eyefinity.. one way to tell is i'll test it tonight with AB and report back.

For me these drivers continue to get worst as far as display configurations presets.

In the early versions of 11.x the display profiles switching would often configure the monitors in the wrong order (primary would be wrong or left and right would be switched), but hitting the preset again would often fix it. In later versions of 11.x it seemed like things were mostly fixed. In 12.1 it would mix up the monitors again. Now in 12.2 it won't even do the configuration I want anymore. It won't let me place my LCD TV above my primary. It just places it with the other monitors after I hit apply.

amdprofiles.jpg

In 12.1 and 12.2 the display driver seems to crash/lock up a lot too when using the presets. I hit the preset hot keys and it will switch configurations and get it wrong. I hit it again and nothing. Try to open up the control center and all I get is a W7 loading mouse indicator. I end up having to restart...

EDIT: I got the display configuration to work by disabling HydraVision > Desktop Manager

Last edited:
8.921.2 RC11 remains my favorite.

I'm on a single GPU and single display so I don't need Crossfire or Eyefinity fixes.

Afterburner works fine! BUT!

You guys need to download the new beta, MSI afterburner 2.2 beta 14.

lol, I wish AMD devs read these threads...I'm going to pass on this version, thanks

These driver still appear to be missing the atipdl64.dll and the atipdlxx.dll. Possible that they moved that functionality elsewhere. Looking at a WinMerge comparison.

The display driver package .dll files are identical
The installer for the display driver package is newer and different(C7133662 vs C7134393)
Catalyst install splash/background images are different
non-pre driver has Accelerated Video Transcoding package for x86
Catalyst Control Center 2 files are newer and different in the non-pre driver
Catalyst Install Manager for x86 included in the non-pre driver
Catalyst Install Manager for x64 are newer and different in the non-pre driver
Drag and Drop Transcoding is newer and different in the non-pre driver
OpenCL package is newer and different in the non-pre driver
Steady Video for x86 included in the non-pre driver
HDMI/DP Audio package files for both Win7 x64/Vista x64 are almost identical

So there you go. Considering the core .dll driver files are identical. I don't think you'll see much difference compared to the pre-certified in games. You should however see minor differences in the Catalyst Control Center. You'll see greater support for x86 in a number of areas that was limited to x64 before. Maybe we'll see some fixes for all of the issues I know I have personally reported to both Tech Support and the driver team in the official 12.3 or 12.4

Back