Ivy Bridge benefits

computersmakemeQQ

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I heard that Ivy Bridge is a tock (as in, small changes) and I was wondering if it would be worth it to get Ivy Bridge over Sandy Bridge. The only benefit I have heard about so far is PCI 3.0, and I dont believe that will affect my gaming at all.

Thanks in advance! :D

It's more than that. Smaller nm process, cooler running, higher oc potential (though as per Kyle himself, hes stating it won't so I don't know. GPU is faster and more efficient. Supposedly like a 15-20% overall performance increase across the board, cleaner AVX, etc. PCI 3.0 is native but older Sandy boards will have it as well. No, there won't be a hugely noticeable increase on 3.0, but it allows more bandwidth across the board for more than one GPU. But personally I'm on Sandy here and have been since day one and I see no need.

Last edited:
Essentially, if you already have SB, there's no reason to upgrade.

Whether its worth it or not is up to you.

For me, I live next to a Microcenter so if I can replace mine for about $30 (after selling my 2500K) I'll do. I like computer crap

what about compared to Gulftown?...any reason to upgrade from an i7 980X?...I always thought the 'tock' was more important then the 'tick' as you get an improved version of the 'tick' with most of the bugs/growing pains out of the way...plus a die shrink

isn't it better to always wait for the 2nd generation architecture?

I'll probably be getting Ivy Bridge for a laptop with no discrete graphics -- so from what I've read it's worth waiting as the graphics in IB are supposedly better than SB. Otherwise it seems like a fairly standard upgrade that's not worth going to if you're already running SB.

what about compared to Gulftown?...any reason to upgrade from an i7 980X?...I always thought the 'tock' was more important then the 'tick' as you get an improved version of the 'tick' with most of the bugs/growing pains out of the way...plus a die shrink

isn't it better to always wait for the 2nd generation architecture?

I would say, there is no reason to upgrade from an 980x. That processor is still among the top of the line.

I would say, there is no reason to upgrade from an 980x. That processor is still among the top of the line.

Ivy bridge will offer significant power savings over the 980X. If you do not need/use 6 cores / 12 threads there will be more performance and overclockability in ivy bridge but it is not really an upgrade.

so no Ivy Bridge 6/8 core processors until Ivy Bridge-E is released at the end of the year?

It's primarily a shrink of the SNB architecture, if you ignore the graphics side of things. CPU performance per clock is increased slightly, around 4%-7% in the leaked i7-3770 benchmarks. Load power consumption is significantly reduced compared to same clock speed SNB (22W, or nearly a fourth reduction of TDP).

With the newer process, O/C ability likely improves, and even if it doesn't, power consumption at typical SNB O/C speeds should use significantly less power on IB.

IB probably won't offer much to most SNB users. But if someone is using an older architecture and seeks more speed, IB should be a solid upgrade. The downside is that IB is the last LGA1155 processor. Haswell uses a new socket next year.

Any reason to go 1155/Ivy Bridge coming from a i7 920 d0 at 4Ghz? I'm primarily a gamer, wondering if my 920 is a bottleneck on my 7970 crossfire setup....

Debating whether I should go 1155 just for Ivy or wait for Haswell...

Any reason to go 1155/Ivy Bridge coming from a i7 920 d0 at 4Ghz? I'm primarily a gamer, wondering if my 920 is a bottleneck on my 7970 crossfire setup....

Lower power usage, 5GHz overclocks, 15%+ IPC improvement and PCIe3.

If I was on 1366 I would wait for Haswell, unless you are interested in lower power consumption.

PCI-E 3.0 on 1155 will not benefit you, as 2x PCI-E 3.0 x8 slots is equal to 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots.

Does Ivy Bridge/upcoming mobos support Quick Sync (? ability to use onboard graphics when not playing games) for the 2600K/2500K level Ivy Bridge CPUs? It seems like this feature was not available to the unlocked Sandy Bridge CPUs even though they typically had the better onboard GPU.

Since my gaming rig is also my primary desktop at home, I would like to take advantage of the power savings offered by switching to the CPU/GPU when I'm not gaming.

Does Ivy Bridge/upcoming mobos support Quick Sync (? ability to use onboard graphics when not playing games) for the 2600K/2500K level Ivy Bridge CPUs? It seems like this feature was not available to the unlocked Sandy Bridge CPUs even though they typically had the better onboard GPU.

Since my gaming rig is also my primary desktop at home, I would like to take advantage of the power savings offered by switching to the CPU/GPU when I'm not gaming.

This is a Z68/Virtu feature, not a CPU feature. To use the power saving features meant to take a hit on gaming performance. The real appeal was to utilize the integrated GPU for quick sync (which is a video encoding feature that has nothing to do with power savings) while using a dedicated GPU as primary video. This setup offered zero power saving.

If I was on 1366 I would wait for Haswell, unless you are interested in lower power consumption.

PCI-E 3.0 on 1155 will not benefit you, as 2x PCI-E 3.0 x8 slots is equal to 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16 slots.

That's funny because a lot of sandy bridge owners use too own 1366.

Worth it?For most gamers no,but everyone likes the overclocking performance.

It's when your computer can't do what you want it too,when it becomes worth it.

Im on 1366 also, 930 @ 4ghz and I don't see a need at all. I think Haswell could be a good upgrade point.

i can't wait to see the [H] review/recommendations on these. there are A LOT of us gamers on 1366 wondering if Ivy is the answer or if we should stay put til Haswell.

as for z68 is it gonna be worth goin ivy just for pcie 3.0?

Probably not unless you've got 7970s running at x8x8, but even then the performance decrease is only slight and only visible in certain titles. We don't know about nVidia yet, so it could be that Kepler needs the extra bandwidth.

I guess it also depends on how long you intend on keeping the platform as well. PCIE 3.0, although it isn't a noticeable upgrade today, it will likely be something you'll need for the future.

43816.png

43817.png

15FPS on dirt 3 is the worst case scenario but other titles like BF3 show no change at all.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5458/the-radeon-hd-7970-reprise-pcie-bandwidth-overclocking-and-msaa

Whether its worth it or not is up to you.

For me, I live next to a Microcenter so if I can replace mine for about $30 (after selling my 2500K) I'll do. I like computer crap

Same boat here. I sold my i7-860 for more than my 2500K cost me. Took a little hit on selling the MOBO. All said and done I think the only think I paid for outta pocket was the sales tax. My "old" P67 MOBO already has a BIOS out specifically for IB support. If the price is right I'll probably jump.

Hey all,

The only benefit I have heard about so far is PCI 3.0, and I dont believe that will affect my gaming at all.

Thanks in advance! :D

This basically what I am looking at. Is the PCI Express 3.0 on the CPU actually going to improve my crossfire setup? Will it make FPS games smoother? That's why I am waiting for Kyles impression when Ivy brige comes out. I know he plays FPS games like I do. So hopefully after all the bechmarking PCI Express 2.0 vs PCI express 3.0 etc etc. I hope he spends a few days gaming with the rig to see if he noticed anything that might make Ivy Bridge stick out.

It's been well established that PCI-E 3.0 will not benefit any current crossfire or SLI setup.

There has already been some testing with the x79 platform and PCI-E 3.0, and it has been shown that PCI-E 2.0 at 8x is still barely a bottleneck to 7970s.

This basically what I am looking at. Is the PCI Express 3.0 on the CPU actually going to improve my crossfire setup? Will it make FPS games smoother? That's why I am waiting for Kyles impression when Ivy brige comes out. I know he plays FPS games like I do. So hopefully after all the bechmarking PCI Express 2.0 vs PCI express 3.0 etc etc. I hope he spends a few days gaming with the rig to see if he noticed anything that might make Ivy Bridge stick out.

Going from 1366 to 1155 Ivy for PCI-E 3.0 makes zero sense, because you will have the exact same amount of bandwidth.

PCI-E 2.0 x16 = PCI-E 3.0 x8.

It's been well established that PCI-E 3.0 will not benefit any current crossfire or SLI setup.

There has already been some testing with the x79 platform and PCI-E 3.0, and it has been shown that PCI-E 2.0 at 8x is still barely a bottleneck to 7970s.

Yeah that's pretty much what I was expecting. I was hoping it would be different :p

Going from 1366 to 1155 Ivy for PCI-E 3.0 makes zero sense, because you will have the exact same amount of bandwidth.

PCI-E 2.0 x16 = PCI-E 3.0 x8.

Well I was shooting for socket 2011 (if the rumored Ivy Bridge E is even remotely true) :p But yeah, I see your point.

~_~ another 1366 guy here

I feel like "upgrading" as well but mostly because I want to go from ATX to m-ATX

Link please.

i have heard that running 7970 CFX PCIe 2.0 8X can bottleneck, so i wanna see a actual test.. i run 7970 CFX overclocked, and im gonna go for IVY and PCIe 3.0, just to be absolutely sure there's no bottleneck..

I'm probably one of the few people on this forum that could really use the upgrade, and I'm going to wait the month or so until it launches. It's going to be a sad day getting rid of my Q6600, it's such a reliable old friend. Maybe I'll hand him over to my mother, he'll be able to handle all of those spreadsheets easily :p.

Back