Votes: 61 12.3%
  • Yes - upgrading from something much older

Votes: 199 40.2%
  • No - Everything I have at the moment is good

Votes: 223 45.1%
  • No - I like AMD and it's good for the moment

Votes: 12 2.4%

• Total voters
how about a poll? But I'll say that I really don't know yet.

I voted for No, as I just bought a used i5 combo.

I was almost going to go AMD (it'd be a first, not counting the AMDs I have to repair for clients), because I'm getting a little fed up with Intel gouging customers with extremely small upgrades just because AMD continues to drop the ball. But then I got a great deal on the i5 combo, and that was that :D

Where's the option "Only if it overclocks or performs a lot faster than SB"?

It'd be better with only 3 options, imo.

Yes - Some possible reasons
No - Some possible reasons
Maybe - Some possible reasons

NO - because I love my 2600k, and it runs between 28C-34C at idle @ 4.4GHz (on air). I upgraded to SB from 1366 because of the lower heat, lower power consumption, and Sata 6GB. IB is not compelling to me personally. But if someone is on a 1366 platform or older, I say "do it!"

I voted no since current hardware is more than adequate. I may get an IB Ultrabook later this year, but not at release. On the desktop, I'm waiting for Haswell since it uses a new socket.

You don't even get that many options, I hate people that can't just vote and come in thread crapping. I covered alot of areas.

I cannot see myself needing anything faster then my [email protected] for the next 3 years probably...this chip was probably my second best investment ever, (next to my Q9550 which is still running like a top in my son's gaming rig).

Architecture advancements will be very little in terms of IPC. Not going to OC any better. I don't see sense in building an IB machine if you have a SB machine. I just built my own SB system, did not see much use in waiting for IB. That said, if you are in an pre-SB upgrade situation, there is no reason to not go IB unless you need LGA2011 memory footprint, or are looking for a long term socket, which LGA1155 is not.

Yeah but people with I7's said that too, I7's at 4.0 everyone thought they'd never need anything else. Now look at us.

Do you actually NEED anything else atm?

Need and want are two different things, dude.

Everything I have is running great at 2560x1600. Two major upgrades I did was get two 7970s (upgrade from a HD 5970), and got two Corsair Force GT 180s in Raid O ( upgrade from two raptors in raid 0).

Unless Ivy brings something amazing to the X79. I am more than happy to wait it out for Haswell or Broadwell. But PCI Express lanes going straight to the CPU and no more chipset makes it somewhat attractive to me. But that's another time. I have to see if there will even make a dent for the offical ivy bridge coming out in a few months.

Can you share your insight into this knowledge?
Is Intel going to gimp S1155 IB so that it isn't as appealing to enthusiast? I can see how a strong S1155 IB CPUS could hurt socket 2011/cpu sales.

It's smaller and requires less voltage/power to reach its rated speeds which are superior to SB speeds. Has higher multipliers, has stronger memory controller performance, has much stronger integrated gpu.

Based on everything that I have researched about IB it looks like one of its strong points will be over clock ability. If anything it should reach similar SB OC speeds with less voltage and heat. I like less voltage and less heat I think it's going to be great for over clocking.

It overclocks the same amount for less voltage and less heat, that will probably be true. But as I've already stated in multiple threads, SB encounters an overclocking wall, where it's not heat or voltage limited, but architecturally limited. IB, based on SB, could very well experience that same overclocking wall.

Of course I'll upgrade.

PCI-E 3.0
More Cores/Threads than my current CPU (4/4 VS 4/8 or 6/12)
Faster Single Core/Thread speed (CB 11.5 SC score AMD 1.12 vs 2.0+ with OC on Ivy)
Quad Channel Memory support (vs my Dual Channel board support)
Better efficiency/lower wattage consumption

A build like that will last a long time for even a [H]ardcore PC gamer IMHO. If you see it like that it's actually very value oriented in the end I think...I'll most likely get an ASrock or BIostar mobo lmao call me elcheapo. :D Hopefully Kepler and MSI have a nice GPU out that OCs more than a 1ghz on core like my 560ti does. :) The Future looks good.

Yeah but people with I7's said that too, I7's at 4.0 everyone thought they'd never need anything else. Now look at us.

Frankly speaking, years later I'm still struggling to convince myself that an OC i7-920 is a significant bottleneck.

I didn't mean a I7 at 4.0 is bad but I have seen my fair share of people with that chip upgrade to Sandy. But anyways, Kyle, is your info based on what you've heard or based on what you've tested? ;)

I am waiting on IB, but I keep crossing my fingers for a Microcenter $200 2600k sale with the $50 motherboard combo.

I am still using a q6600 @ 3.2 and a gtx260c216. With Nvidia seemingly blowing smoke to cover up Kepler failures and AMD prices sky high, I will probably upgrade my PC to IB (unless aforementioned sale occurs), keep my old GPU, and then purchase a new GPU at the end of the year after the dust settles and prices go down.

I didn't mean a I7 at 4.0 is bad but I have seen my fair share of people with that chip upgrade to Sandy. But anyways, Kyle, is your info based on what you've heard or based on what you've tested? ;)

Those are people that usually upgrade constantly, aiming to get the best they can at that particular price point. An i7 920 at 4.0 ghz is more than enough for 99% of gaming systems.

Still don't see a reason to upgrade...and I do a load of CPU intensive things (but am moving more and more towards GPU intensive). Didn't see much reason to go for SB (though I do own one), and 2011 doesn't seem much better (though that was the planned upgrade).

Probably wont go for IB (though I initially planned to) unless there is some great new motherboard feature, which there doesn't appear that there will be. The last good one was USB 3.0...a gazzillion years ago. UEFI/SSD cache...pretty meh. Maybe when intel finally releases lightpeak (via fibre, not some cut down copper crap).

I want to wait for it but Kepler, the new Lian Li models (and maybe Thermaltake Water 2.0 Extreme) are coming sooner so I might go with 2600K, or not buy anything until IB is released.

Sure am. After >4 years, I deserve it. It's gonna be a big one too. New video card and SATA III SSD to go along with it. I'll probably retain the PSU, case and optical drives from my current system

No real incentive for me to upgrade except for tax rebates. The slowest part of my machine right now is the Spinpoint F3 drive.

Probably will wait and see how much AMD can fix Bulldozer in Piledriver first.

Kyle - they wont oc better really? being a < 95 watt chip?

I honestly don't remember the last time Intel released a new chip that didn't OC better than the previous generation. I'm not saying it hasn't happened, just not in recent memory.

Yes because I've been waiting on a build specifically for it, I'm also waiting for the gtx 680, even though I might just get the 7970.

Of course I'll upgrade.

PCI-E 3.0
More Cores/Threads than my current CPU (4/4 VS 4/8 or 6/12)
Faster Single Core/Thread speed (CB 11.5 SC score AMD 1.12 vs 2.0+ with OC on Ivy)
Quad Channel Memory support (vs my Dual Channel board support)
Better efficiency/lower wattage consumption

A build like that will last a long time for even a [H]ardcore PC gamer IMHO. If you see it like that it's actually very value oriented in the end I think...I'll most likely get an ASrock or BIostar mobo lmao call me elcheapo. :D Hopefully Kepler and MSI have a nice GPU out that OCs more than a 1ghz on core like my 560ti does. :) The Future looks good.

IB will have 4C/8T. It will be dual-channel. It will not be anything more than that.

What you're talking about is the rumored and yet unconfirmed IB-E, that would cost $500+ for the 6C/12T model, and probably $1000+ for the 8C/16T model. Why you would be pairing a cheap motherboard with a $500+ processor... I don't know. The cheap motherboard probably won't even be able to overclock well at all.

Holding out for more cores than what I currently have.

Yes! All the hex/octa cores are still waay too expensive for what they are (usually a 2-4x premium over the quad). An extreme edition isn't worth the premium, but if they made the more affordable models with more cores, I could definately see myself wanting to upgrade. Even for a small premium. The better value 900/2000/3000 chips have all just been quad core. They need to move things forward! :(

No, I am smart and understand and realize that 6 cores and IB have zero benefit over my 2600k at 4.9ghz. Thus, I will save that money and put it into a 8 core / 16 thread 22nm Intel cpu in 2013. But thank you for asking.

I need a laptop and will almost certainly be waiting for Ivy Bridge to get one -- assuming I don't find a super-awesome deal on SB before.

Desktop is fine with the AMD for another year or so.

Yes! All the hex/octa cores are still waay too expensive for what they are (usually a 2-4x premium over the quad). An extreme edition isn't worth the premium, but if they made the more affordable models with more cores, I could definately see myself wanting to upgrade. Even for a small premium. The better value 900/2000/3000 chips have all just been quad core. They need to move things forward! :(

This.

I really don't understand why Intel never makes the "extreme" editions extreme at all. When I think of the word extreme, 10% better than everything else doesn't cut it. FFS, for the price of ONE extreme processor, you can make TWO workstations using the second-best processor, overclock both and do double the workload easy (KVM, anyone?).

More than likely, since my tax return AKA upgrade fund isn't hitting my bank account until sometime after mid April.

I've got a 2500K bnib, but I'm selling it to a friend that is upgrading this week. Figured I might as well put it to good use instead of letting it sit in a closet for at least the next month.

SB or IB for me, doesn't matter and i don't care. Whichever I can get a hold of when i finally have the money to overhaul my system.

Last edited:
This.

I really don't understand why Intel never makes the "extreme" editions extreme at all. When I think of the word extreme, 10% better than everything else doesn't cut it. FFS, for the price of ONE extreme processor, you can make TWO workstations using the second-best processor, overclock both and do double the workload easy (KVM, anyone?).

lol yeah funny stuff

If it is better overclocker, then only.
If ivy can do 4.8 in 1.2vcore, then I'll buy, otherwise not.

I have an E6300 at 2.8GHz and I'm hoping to get an IB to 4.6 on an H50.

Back