Asteroid to Threaten Earth in 2013

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Everybody duck, there’s another (hopefully) near miss asteroid heading back to Earth next year. Heading back to Earth is the keyword here, since it has already crossed Earth’s path on several occasions within the past three years undetected. This doesn’t speak well for the astronomer’s ability to locate possible danger situations in time to take any preventative actions.

If the entire asteroid is to crash into the planet, the impact will be as hard as in the Tunguska blast, which in 1908 knocked down trees over a total area of 2,150 sq km (830 sq miles) in Siberia.

So, if the world doesn't end in December 2012, there's a second chance for us to die off in 2013? :D

Sounds like good news to me! Hopefully it's after the Star Trek sequel is out. I still want to watch that before I die. You know-- I have to live my life and all that poetic talk. ;)

The sensationalistic crap never ends. They have to keep everyone paranoid of something. 1984. Y2K. 2012. Asteroids. They are all crying wolf, and nobody cares anymore. At least I don't.

The sensationalistic crap never ends. They have to keep everyone paranoid of something. 1984. Y2K. 2012. Asteroids. They are all crying wolf, and nobody cares anymore. At least I don't.

And when it does matter nobody will listen.

Phil Plait debunks this particular bs quite well at his blog.

wow... russian television station as the ultimate source of this story. Kind of slipping there aren't we ?

I'm not surprised that there are many non-detections. Funding for asteroid detection is pretty pitiful.

I'd like to see it make contact with earth... That'd be one hell of an evacuation order.

It isn't the astronomer's faults........It is the pitiful amount of funding going to those types of projects (pitiful vs. what those things should be getting)

Hahaha, yea no kidding, It came out like... almost 8 years ago I believe.

Read earlier that this was a hoax with questionable sources.

I like to lurk the science section of reddit, some insightful ppl there. Last I remember reading is something going supernova and hitting us with some rays. Bleh

Read earlier that this was a hoax with questionable sources.

I like to lurk the science section of reddit, some insightful ppl there. Last real possible scenario I remember reading is something going supernova and hitting us with some rays.

Bleh

Words cannot describe how excited I am for the end of the world bullshit. I'm going to have so much fun making fun of idiots everywhere, just like I've done for all of the other stuff related to this that's ever happened.

It's for the LOL'z man! :D

Words cannot describe how excited I am for the end of the world bullshit. I'm going to have so much fun making fun of idiots everywhere, just like I've done for all of the other stuff related to this that's ever happened.

It's for the LOL'z man! :D

it's not funny anymore, joke is too old. this nuisance should be finally gone when nothing happens (again lol) in the 2012 whatever date :rolleyes:

So true, and when something bad really does happen we wont care until it actually happens because we will have learned to ignore the medias crying wolf tendencies. Then again humanity is like a conveyor belt of people of various ages constantly moving with new ones being born every day, so maybe not.

It isn't the astronomer's faults........It is the pitiful amount of funding going to those types of projects (pitiful vs. what those things should be getting)

Not even that, it's the fact we couldn't do anything even if we knew what was going to hit us and when. Maybe the smaller ones we could break up, but those aren't going to do much global damage anyways, the Michael Bay movie worthy events though, who cares it's simply a matter of knowing when we're going to die anyways.

Not even that, it's the fact we couldn't do anything even if we knew what was going to hit us and when. Maybe the smaller ones we could break up, but those aren't going to do much global damage anyways, the Michael Bay movie worthy events though, who cares it's simply a matter of knowing when we're going to die anyways.

Well we are a technologically advanced civilization that we could start developing countermeasures now. Or start investing in real space colonization technology development. But we aren't really doing a whole lot of any of that unfortunately

If an asteroid does is on its way toward earth, there is probably not much we can do to save this planet with current technology. I would say odds are fairly good that we will survive to figure something out within the next 1000 years.

However, a very real threat is the Yellowstone supervolcano. When that goes off again, the US is @#$%^ed!

Sadly, we are not lucky enough to get to witness such a cool event. Anyways worst case would be a water landing in the north west Atlantic around the 35th to 40th north parallel. This would create a wave that would strike most of the eastern seaboard of the US and western EU. The damage would be truly mind blowing.

But I'm just a disaster nut...

Event noted on calendar..

It's not even a funding issue, it's just damn hard to do.

It's not even a funding issue, it's just damn hard to do.

I do not disagree that it would be 'hard', but if we would give a problem like this proper funding/motivation then we would certainly come up with countermeasures, given our current level of technological advancement.

Of course asteroid detection is poorly funded. It does us no good until we can change an asteroid's orbit. Have no illusions about our ability to do that. We (humanity) do not have the ability to go to the moon. We (the United States) do not even have the ability to go into near Earth orbit - we have to buy that from the Russians. Not only do we not have the ability to transport to an asteroid the people and tools necessary to shift its orbit, we do not have the slightest idea what those tools would be, and we have not even started the research necessary to learn what those tools might be.

The only real solution to threats like a massive asteroid strike or supervolcano eruption is to not have all your eggs in one basket by establishing off-world colonies. Governments have given up on space; now it's up to the corporations, and they don't seem to be interested.

Oh I see. History repeating itself.

The world ends in December this year.

In "2013" we have the Big Bang.

A new Earth is born.

As long as Bruce Willis and Ben Affleck are alive then we can send them up in a rocket to blow that shit up. Life works out exactly like it does in the movies right?

well, I hope china, russia, north korea, and the US have enough missiles to blow it to bits before it hits land.

Back